Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Are you your own worse critic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 16, 2019.

1. A reasonable amount of self-criticism can be a good thing. It allows us to reflect on our decisions and helps us push ourselves to improve and hone our skills

Sometimes, I tend to go beyond reflecting and become my own worst enemy by overthinking my idea and the reason it won't work instead of what will work, lay awake at night working and reworking something that I should be happy with.

We all make mistakes just don't dwell on what didn't work or fit like you had hoped but enjoy the things that did work like you hoped. HRP

2. Mistakes = learning
    Learning =improving
    Improving = fewer mistakes
    FA89D160-1227-4613-8569-76151AC60597.jpeg
    Always ask what would Oddball do

Sometimes s shot in the dark is the eureka moment you needed

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  3. pkhammer

pkhammer

I tend to hold myself to a higher standard than others. I tend to expect perfection and have trouble moving on with a task unless I'm satisfied that it "just right". A good example of being a perfectionist (or just plain anal) is having paint or bodywork just right even if it's in an area that'll never be seen.
    Maybe not exactly what you're talking about though.......

3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57, Sky Six and 3 others like this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I treat my car work the same as anything I tackle.
    Paint prep regardless if it a house or a car has always been the best I know to do.
    Carpentry and metal work is always the best design and technique to make it sound.
    I never get anal about trying to impress people with my fabrication by going to the next level.
    Never understood the why behind that.
    Rarely second guess. Unless it’s something I’ve never done before.

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I am absolutely my own worst critic. Nobody else is even close!
    SPark

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

As a car builder, I am a hack and I know it,
    But, with my photo art, I am my worst critic.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I have a feeling that I'm not my own worst critic...it's just that my worst critics are too polite to tell me

Roothawg, Saxman, 3W JOHN and 14 others like this.
  8. lake_harley

lake_harley

I tend to be more picky about work I do for others than what I do for myself.

Lynn

Saxman, OLSKOOL57, dogwalkin and 4 others like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Geez aren't any of you guys married?

Saxman, Nostrebor, 3W JOHN and 7 others like this.
  10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I always tend to beat myself up. I have always been very picky about what I do and very critical of my work

11. Yep, that is one of my many, many faults! I think I have grandiose visions of what I expect to accomplish and while I tell myself 'you don't need all those years of experience at... to do it right' and generally it turns out exactly as anyone with little to no experience would have done and I end up spending more time to get it closer to acceptable, but still not what I had expected. The added benefit, is my visions force me to move past my current skills and actually learn something. Even though some times the thing I learn is that I should've paid someone else to do it.

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. e z i

e z i

13. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I suffer from the same fate HRP. I have redone stuff that was good enough. By good enough it was better than I have seen others do. I think that growing up when my dad did stuff, half the time they were half assed and ended up being done again since they were not right. So I have set my good enough standard on the way high end. For the last few years I have been working with a tinbender locally in my area at least once a week. Well that has caused many reworks, now that I have learned to do it right. SIGHo_O:eek::D:rolleyes:

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. You do the best that the situation and circumstances will allow.
    Try to be”perfect” in the moment and not too critical when the moment is over

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN, jaw22w and 2 others like this.
  15. 1pickup

1pickup

I've seen enough guys who want everything on their car "perfect." They are the ones who's car never leaves their garage. Just drive the damn thing & have some fun.

Saxman, dogwalkin, 3W JOHN and 7 others like this.
  16. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I am definitely my own worst critic. My friends and family always tell me this. They say I am always over thinking things, but in my mind that's a good thing. It's interesting... there are many things that I would never criticize about somebody else, but will not hesitate to beat myself up over something similar on my own projects.

17. Always keep this in mind——perfection is the enemy of completion.

I know that doesn’t apply to everyone but it sure does apply to us “regular” guys.

Saxman, Nostrebor, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  18. I am my own worst critic but I bribe myself with Bourbon, burritos or a motorcycle ride. It all depends on the situation.

Just Gary, Saxman, blowby and 4 others like this.
  19. Latigo

Latigo

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and scotty t like this.
  20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I did a lot of work for a guy for about seven years his youngest son told me once that your good when you can fix your own fuck ups. Funny thing was he left me to fix his.

21. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I guess I am, I've never been completely happy with anything I've ever built. The car I've enjoyed most is a 30 Model A pickup that was built in 11 months out of parts. I built it as a daily driver and have been driving it for 19 years, ran out of garage space so it has sat outside for 15 years. It has hauled trash, trees and parts in all kinds of weather, got several rust problems and the paint is failing but still enjoy driving it. Guess the moral here is build it for yourself and enjoy it don't worry about it being perfect.

Attached Files:

3W JOHN, Petejoe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. jim snow

jim snow

Yes. I am way harder on myself than others. Snowman

23. I just second guess myself and do everything over 4 or 5 times.

Works for me...

3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am an acclaimed critic. I acclaim I strive to build stuff that I want it solid and yet put the effort in to make it cool. Building a bracket that does the job just never seems enough. I do not want an everyday bracket. Its hard.:oops:. Now I really like the technical aspects of a build so that can sometimes make me nutty:D. So I appreciate other craftsmen's work and the way they did it . Sure I may look at the next guys hot rod and quietly say to myself, note to self don't do it like that. But unless he can hear the marbles rattling around he will not know. I can give an "E" for effort though.

25. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Since the old man's dead, I guess the job falls on me. I inherited his ability to find fault with anything. I made a pretty good living at it though, this troubleshooting thing. Nobody has ever called me to look at a piece of machinery and asked what's good about it, it's always been,"What's wrong with it?". Now if I could just learn to turn that off sometimes.

26. j3harleys

j3harleys

Yes! yes I am. Wait I probably could have said that better. Maybe I should redo it. Maybe no one will notice, No they will notice. I better do overo_O

3W JOHN, jim snow, clem and 3 others like this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just do stuff the best I can. If it doesn’t work, I do it again differently. Most of the time it’s the cheapest way with what I have on hand at the time. But I do try to make stuff cosmetically pretty if I can. Usually that’s my downfall, if I make it tough and ugly it works better!

Saxman, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I'm not sure if I am anal or just an asshole.

Saxman, Pats55, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  29. X-cpe

X-cpe

That's who brings me back to center when I go off the deep end.

Saxman, 3W JOHN, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  30. But,do you swallow???

Blue One, 3W JOHN, Baumi and 2 others like this.