Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone build an evap case?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by walker, May 16, 2019.

1. walker

walker

I have been looking for an evap case for a/c in on of my projects. I have looked at all tthe vintage and old air stuff and find them to not fit the bill very well. I am considering building a custom evaporator/heater core case.
    Has anyone built their own? Just looking for what pitfalls to avoid, good sources for evap cores, and if you found good ways to vent, duct, etc.

Thanks,

2. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

O/T but a nice compact custom made one:

3. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I built one out of fiberglass years ago for a 27 Ford coupe. Worked great. Use or make flat sheets of glass and form around your core. I changed the unit in my avatar several years ago and purchased the core from Vintage Air.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I converted the fresh air box on my 55 Olds to AC. I modified the box, which sits on the firewall, and connects the cowl's fresh air intake to the interior, even has a flapper door to shut it off. Just had to deepen the box to use an evap I took from a Monte Carlo, or something. Then made a fiberglass panel for inside the firewall, with pieces of exhaust tubing to run the ducts off of. Could have welded them, too. Easy!

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. On any of them have a big enough drain line or you will end up with wet carpet. Better yet run TWO drains, one on each side of case so it can drain well going around curves. Do not use any line less than 3/8" inside & likely 1/2" is best to keep carpet dry. If you were to ask me how I know this my answer is "Cause".
    Jimmie

loudbang and anothercarguy like this.
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

All great ideas. I modified the factory air box on my Rambler to lose the A/C portion. Foam board and fiberglass. Another method is to take a big block of foam and carve it down to fit your available space and make it fit your core and evaporator and blower motor. No limits to imagination

7. What he says...if you ask me why...I had the wet shoes to prove it...especially when braking or accelerating. Live and learn.

8. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I used the units from an 88 Nissan pickup truck I put it in a Avanti and a damn thing looks factory. Their compact And everything is in compartments