Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Red + Blue + Green + Yellow = Barf

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, May 16, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I hate wasting expensive automotive paint. But it's better than making a mistake..

So I have a half gallon of red acrylic enamel, and some partial quarts of other colors. Figured I might mix them into a bitchin' maroon or something and paint my heap with it. Guess it doesn't work that way. I can get a decent orange, maybe, if I mix in yellow, which I have almost two quarts of, with the red. Anything else is pretty funky, so far. Wasn't really thinking orange but I'm not too picky. If I did use something like this I would spray a test panel, wait and see what happens. I could always paint my tractor..

The red in the photo is not that orange, just on the top from not being fully stirred, same with the yellow.

0516191036_HDR.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. You will end up with a ugly pinkish tan (mauve) HRP

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Might work on the tractor..:)

My old house was painting "recycle brown". The recycle depot always had free leftover latex house paint. You could mix it yourself or sometimes they did it. Always came out brown. Looked pretty good on the stucco though..

4. You use just a touch of green to tone down a red when its too bright.

If you mix too many colors together you get mucklby-dung

saltflats, Hombre and Lepus like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I remember learning I should read before I mix when building models. I decided painting was not a skill for me to persue.

6. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Trust me, you don't want my opinion.

7. Deuces

Deuces

So..... What are we painting????:)

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't shy away from looking at a color wheel/chart online that will help show you what colors work with others to get a desired result - paint usually used with art, and mixing paint is a art form by it's self

saltflats, Hombre and Deuces like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, was just thinking that. Well I put all the reds I had together, about 3/4 gallon, probably enough to paint my Bantam. I tried black in the red, a little makes a big difference but it still turns it brown. The red is probably my best bet. Don't have any other colors to test. Wish I could turn it purple..

One good thing about red, easier to see the little bugger.
    0516191243_HDR.jpg mags.jpg

Hombre and Deuces like this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When I first started doing bodywork I bought 120 partly used cans of paint at an auction for a defunct car dealership for $7. For several years I painted cars for $65 using this shop mix. I stuck to mixing several different blues, or several different reds etc but did not mix up different colors. Some of the colors came out really nice, others looked like shop mix.

Another trick is to mix up a couple of quarts of something that looks decent, start by giving the car 1 or 2 coats of anything, then 2 coats of the 'good' paint.

You could also 2 tone it or do scallops or panels if you want to get fancy.

302GMC, Deuces, belair and 1 other person like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mixed some reds and blues and some gold together for my model of Babe Royer's full custom F1, I was 12. Yep...turned brown, shoulda bought the maroon!

Hombre and Deuces like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good ideas. Thought about two tone but not sure how it would go on this truck. Also I need enough left over to paint the fender that I will undoubtedly bash.

I also painted a car and motorcycle years ago with mixed leftovers. They came out a little like the mauve HRP referred to, sort of a silverish purple, not pink. Actually looked really good.

Deuces likes this.
  13. LAROKE

LAROKE

Don't be throwin' color names around like that if you don't have an Interior Designer's license :D

Truck64, Deuces, belair and 1 other person like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

F51896B7-CE98-4E63-9CF7-F1A886ADDF6A.jpeg Or you might consider something like this.

cactus1, Slopok, slv63 and 3 others like this.
  15. That's the closest color name I've ever seen for what I refer to as "Shit-muckle Dung". Not sure where I first heard that name though. :rolleyes:

saltflats and Deuces like this.
  16. Its always been my experience that anytime you mix paint it comes out a shade of brown.

da34guy and Deuces like this.
  17. spanners

spanners

Just think of the end result when you mix your drinks.

Happydaze and Deuces like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Do you remember the VW Colours of Benetton campaign? Every panel another colour... you could try that. When tired of one colour take a little step to the side/ repeat!

Deuces likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Blue and yellow will get ya green....

20. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I all of a sudden heard circus music![​IMG]
    KK

Deuces and mgtstumpy like this.
  21. a good way to use up old paint is on parts that don't show. great for floor boards and inside body cavities.
    also the paint can be used for the first coat and the correct color used for the next two coats.

Deuces likes this.
  22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

If you put brown or other color on as a first coat wouldn't that change the shade of the final coat? I always heard to brighten final coat use a light color as base coat or use darker color to make it darker.

Deuces likes this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Finally got some purple, in a decent shade. Didn't take a photo, still playing around. Color charts say red and blue make purple. I found some Royal blue on the shelf and tried that. Problem is it's just Rustoleum, which I believe is synthetic enamel. Seems to mix OK but the other stuff is all Acrylic enamel auto paint that I will be using hardener and reducer with. And it takes a lot to make purple, like 50/50.

Could an auto paint store add their toners in a smaller amount to tint my red to purple? Moose photoshopped this for me awhile ago, like it.

purplebantam.jpg

bct and Deuces like this.
  24. BJR

BJR

You lost me with mixing paint with screwdrivers!:eek::D

j hansen, firstinsteele and Deuces like this.
  25. rudestude

rudestude

It took a color chart to figure out red and blue make purple?
    Thats like not knowing that a light colored base coat will make your finish coat lighter in color and dark color base coat makes your finish coat darker in color. Then the amount of change depends on your paint being a solid or transparent and when you start talking transparent colors then your getting more into custom mixing.
    And if you ever have some red paint that you want to make a lighter shade, do not think that by adding a little white will do it...unless you want pink and pink is all you will get not light red just pink....

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Is that what happened on your hood?

s55mercury66 likes this.
  27. rudestude

rudestude

Don't know what hood your referring to. I don't have any red or pink cars...real one's anyways...I was kind of using that scenario from a event that I got involved in years back when I was painting houses , a gal got intouch with me about a paint job on a store that she bought she had 4 5 gallon buckets of white paint and she wanted the building barn red so she went to the hardware store they sold her some red pigment and she went back and tried to mix up some barn red paint...well when I arrived to see what she had going ...she had 4 buckets of pink paint each one a slightly different shade of pink but still pink ..she wanted to know if I could fix it....on top of that it was gloss white she started with.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  28. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Looking at the picture it looks like it's half-size or smaller based on groceries in the bed. Inside it looks like a dog behind the seat with a white powder puff on it's head.
    Is it me...please don't tell me I have dementia!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Deuces likes this.
  29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Truck
    https://wmspear.com/Bantam/index.html

Dog

0613160931e.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  30. samurai mike

samurai mike

go buy one qt. of red to finish out the 3/4 gallon you have.

clem, Deuces and Hnstray like this.