Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Pontiac Star Chief: ChiefResurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bishop Schulz, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Hails HAMB! I am starting my project thread for my 1955 Pontiac Star Chief. I've found everyone here very supportive and full of great ideas and crazy ones too! My kinda folk!

I'm calling my project: ChiefRessurection. I plan on doing some videos too along the way bringing this classic back to the road and i'm guessing those sit on YouTube and are linked here?

We'll see how this percolates out. I've posted a few pics here already in a Tech column question...and it looks like I'll be posting those here too.

[BackStory-The Crusher] ​
    This Chief was saved from the crusher, by one day. It was owned by a family I knew whos father passed, and who has spent the last few years of his life trying to make amends for an abusive and dark past. Some people do not forgive easily. It was decided that it would be crushed and thus crush away the dark memories.

But there was a change, at the Wake which I presided at, the family knew that I tinkered with old cars, they knew I had spoken to their father half a dozen times over the last couple years about cars. The family relayed that a recycler was going to come get the car tomorrow but if I would rather take it for free, I was welcomed to. So rather than let it get shredded, shipped to China as bulk steel to only come back as a load of cheap goods, I agreed and added the Chief to my car family.

The car is due to arrive here next month, mid May so until then, ill get a few pics out here and a list of wishes and items I plan on working on first. I'm going to reach out too for the desires of you out there, who want something done to the car and maybe I can highlight that 'repair' or restoration and post that. You want it done? Let me know and i'll try to get that on my list of to-do things and get you what you want =)

I'm not a professional car restore guy, i have restored, cleaned, and built a handful of cars though, built by hand (a few engines) so i'm no novice either...probably your normal JoeSchmoe of garage mechanical enthusiasts. I don't know how to weld...plan on learning though along this projects way. I've worked body metal too.

My grandfather taught me a lot of skills is tearing down and building up mechanicals...it comes naturally, he was a patient Scandinavian machinist from ww2, so this whole project may an exercise in maintaining patience as he would....reaching for a bigger hammer, build it thicker, make it twice as durable as it was originally.

Thanks HAMB!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

Looking forward to this build I just love tri 5 Pontiacs

3. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. catdad49

catdad49

If it's a Poncho, I'm in!

5. 5window

5window

Looking forward to your project, but you just might want to re-think your project name. The HAMB's pretty insensitive, but it doesn't go in for political/ethnic slurring. Might get you canned before you get very far and that would be a shame. Not enough Pontiacs in the fold. Good luck.

Bishop Schulz likes this.
  6. gagray

gagray
    from Tulsa

7. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

I will change it for the sensitivity of others, im 20% Nooksack Native American...didn't bother me, but it may others.

8. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Going to pick up the car today, ill have AAA drop the car onto a trailer and drop that then into my driveway.

I'll get some vids and pics posted here today of its first arrival at my place. So excited!

11. I once owned two 55 Pontiac Htps. one a star chief and the other a chiefitan. I always liked the Pontiac engines. I have two 56- 316's and a 60 -389 and several 350,s and a 400. Any engine up to a 1960 will bolt into your car.

12. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

13. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

14. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Looks like I can't upload the videos here. I will upload them to my youtube channel and will need to link them here.

I will need to edit them anyways, but ill post more links.

This is just the first few hours of it arriving to its new home. Its raining already so I can't do anything to it at the moment.

I did a video walk around, video inside, video of trunk and one of the engine bay. Look for those here soon!

Starter was in an egg crate on the back seat ... so i already know what I need to bench test and if its good, put it back.

15. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

congrats,they are fun cars, im doing a 55 starchief hardtop now. parts are not to bad to locate......john

16. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Thats great to hear, so far the drivers door latch mechanism doesn't work...course I did just get it, haven't taken a drop of WD40 to it at all.

So today, first thing I did was hook up a trickle charger to see what sort of electrics function.

Front lights:

Back Lights:

Also neat note, the dome light works with any door opening but the drivers HA!

Dash lights are dead as are the courtesy under the dash.

17. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Here's a question: The hot lead off the battery is NOT present in the car, the starter is sitting on the back seat.

According to the shop manual, the hot lead goes to the starter solenoid then to a junction block.

Anyone have a pic of that termination? I'm going to check the starter today see if its okay, the prior owner said it just needed to be installed...uh huh. I'm skeptical.

18. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update: The starter that was in the egg crate in on the back seat works, solenoid is solid and kicks out and holds fine, the motor itself was slow to wake but I have it a good ten minutes of run a few seconds stop, run 20 seconds stop, run a few seconds stop. Hit it with a hammer. Its good! Well actually im guessing not, applying 12V to the ignition side does not kick the relay over inside...hmm. I may install it anyway and hotwire it to a switch. I'd hate to get a new/rebuild one.

I have no idea where underneath it goes, and the only wire I have in hand is the POS terminal for the battery. I am hoping underneath I will find the RS and T and where they go.

Cheers!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update: Figured it out myself, pulled a battery from a good car, hooked that to the solenoid main, grounded the starter, and ran a 2nd hot over to the "S" and bobs your uncle, it kicked the gear out and spun the motor strongly.

So the starter...is going in maybe today.

Next steps:
    1) pull coil wire,
    2) clean plugs - re gap
    3) clean points - re gap
    4) add some mystery oil to each cylinder before the plugs go back in
    5) give it an oil change (get a new filter canister too)
    6) then see if starter will crank engine over. It does by hand using my ogre strength so nothing is catching.

Im guessing there will be further wire issues or fuses that need fixing...but we'll see. I will upload the vid on the start and various parts of the above.

Thanks all for following along!

20. donno

donno

welcome, you will find Pontiac to be the odd ball of G.M. I maintain a 57 Star Chief, (non-original). Have one of those trouble lights. If you need hood spring (if same as 57) have a pair.

21. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

I'll take a look at the part numbers, see if they match, if they do you bet! Thanks =)

22. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Today if the rain lets up, the starter goes in!

The family I got the car from was about to send it to the crusher due to memories attached to the rig...a last bit of spite...they found out that I do this as a hobby and asked if I would want it for free cause the tow rig from the recycler was on its way the next day.

Note: So this fine old car was one day from becoming scrap metal to send to China to make cheap parts to come back to the USA. Scary!

23. belair

belair

Glad you saved the old warrior.

24. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

I suffer at times from PTSD, was in the Vegas shootings, covered with blood and fear, and as a civilian one is not prepared to see what a battle field in real life, in real time is like. I feel aged and damaged, like an old warrior...perhaps this is a healing more than i realize.

Thanks =)

25. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

26. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Todays possible project, the Carb! This old warrior holds the Rochester 2GC 2-Jet carb, a little enemic but not bad on mileage. Will be looking out for a 55 four barrel intake though, i'd like to leverage a few more horses under its hood.

Fun!

27. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Well the 55 springs are 7 inches x 1.25, looks like the 57 Chevy springs will work...trying to find the stats on the 57 pontiac springs.

28. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

29. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update, tearing out the carb today! Rebuild kit in hand!