Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Drdave accidentally buys a Model A. Now what?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drdave, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Been following your thread since last summer and I really like the updates you've done.
    Great job. :)

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang and 'Mo like this.
  3. Made it to the SK!

IMG_0750.JPG

JalopyJimbo, 54delray, Jet96 and 15 others like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sweet!

54delray, drdave and loudbang like this.
  5. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

It really looks good, nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Doc,
    Car looks great. How’s she running and how are you enjoying the car.

Cliff Ramsdell

drdave and loudbang like this.
  7. Car looks really great Doc,
    Great thread. Have to re read it as I am looking to lower mine the same way. Enjoy the summer!

8. Thanks guys! It was a good weekend. I’m pleased with how it all turned out so far and how it handles. Brakes are working great, for the common logic being you can’t use mechanical brakes with a dropped axle. I haven’t driven the car a ton, so this weekend has been good to get some miles on it and start getting a feel for things. Steering is good for old steering, but I’m sure it could stand some adjusting in the box. I’m new to all the nuances of driving an A.

I’m having a bit of a fuss with idle speed remaining consistent and the carb seems to load up, so next up I need to work through the linkages and fiddle with the carb I’m sure.

So far as the hitting bottom on bumps, I left the center bolt on the rear spring a little long in case I needed to add another leaf, which, I think I will, but @1stGrumpy suggested I might be hitting the bolt on bumps. I believe he’s correct. The rear has settled just a hair lower than I was shooting for, so I think another leaf and finishing the job with the bolt cut to length will solve much of the hitting on bumps.

I’m happy with where it’s headed and the weekend helped me make note of a bug chasing.

54delray, Jet96, Bruce A Lyke and 9 others like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good excuse to drive it to work every day :) drive, tweak, drive, tweak :)

brEad, drdave, bchrismer and 2 others like this.
  10. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Man that thing is looking so good! That's gotta be a blast to cruise around in.

Sorry if I missed it, but have you had any further thoughts on putting in the hopped up B motor out of the plane or a flathead?

loudbang and drdave like this.
  11. Thanks! It's getting funner as I get a feel for it. So different than driving a 50 Chevy or chopped Merc. LOL

Well, as it turns out, the my friend with plane that had the B motor in it ended up getting an offer he couldn't refuse, so he sold it (the plane). As I think and study about a flathead, as cool as it might be, I'm seeing it just doesn't fall in the hole over a weekend. The banger runs great, so I'm leaning towards just hopping up the motor that's in it for a whole lot less messing around. I have no intention of this being a car to drive any long distance, so I think for what I intend out of the car, a hopped up banger around town will be plenty sufficient. Haven't had time to research and develop a plan for that yet, but that's on my list of things to do and see about starting to collect parts.

54delray, brEad, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  12. 'Mo

'Mo

13. Dave,
    Your car is looking awesome. I am new to this Model A thing also. My build is moving along at turtle speed. However, I LOVE driving this thing, like you. Do the banger. I am going that route also. In the end, it costs far more than a small block Chevy or Ford. But it’s way cool. While driving to a local show the other night, behind me is see headlights like mine, I’m like, what? How crazy someone else’s car like my car is behind me. We end up at the same cruise, nicest guy ever, and his car is sick! It’s the route I’m going! I’m 58, driven everything you can imagine and yet I’m finding myself in love with the white knuckle experience! Ha ha! Anyway, keep posting. I can’t really start my true build for another year or so.
    The pics are of the gent I met...

D5F950F3-6E14-4F2E-AA37-215DD4700004.jpeg
    1E2EC596-944E-48F1-BFC8-183A9CC69A38.jpeg

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    modelacrazy, camcrusher, Tim and 8 others like this.
  14. Thanks for the links @‘Mo!! I sure appreciate it.

@Fiftee3 do you have a build thread started on your car? I’d love to follow along. Love the motor in the sedan from the cruise...that would be killer right there!! Love all the finned parts!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, 'Mo and loudbang like this.
  15. Hey Dave,
    I do have a thread started, but don’t look! I just started it and there will not really be anything going on for a while. Will be taking body off, engine out etc, but not for a while. Saving right now for new touring motor with cam, full Oiler. Two or three times cost of a SBC, but want a Banger. Right now, driving it everywhere with my bungied on home made top!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-1929-model-a-tudor-build.1136800/#post-13046673

Following as many builds here to get mine correct.
    Enjoying my morning Expresso here in Lisbon Portugal. 2 weeks of rest!

16. That is one extremely nice mordor! HRP

[​IMG]

17. Looks like a good start! Hoping I am as lucky with things looking good under the top as you are when I pull mine. It was leaking when I got it, so for now I siliconed all around the edges and got it stopped, but will be putting a new top on when I do the interior.

Thank you! Never what I expected to find in my garage, but I'm really growing fond of it and think it's gonna be a neat little car. I appreciate 4drs were never the car to have and hop up, but something about this makes it look half OK. Kinda reminds my of Pat Ganahl's 4dr 48 Chevy from way back when....it's what was available and make the best of it. Maybe this car will pull that look off....some kid got it from his grandma or aunt and made the most of what he had. Haha

54delray, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. So my car sat in persons driveway for about 6-7 years uncovered. Driveway was steep and water pooled to rear of car. Leaked in and peeled up rear material. The rear curved, top rear window wood and rear top header were ruined. Also the front above windshield rotted. Still going to replace all of it.

loudbang, drdave and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  19. I assume they make new wood kits for a Tudor? I'm not finding much on 4dr's so keeping my fingers crossed that my wood is mostly in good shape. I know the rear door hinges are loose and have been "fixed" with those plastic push in sheet rock anchors, which of course have since come back loose. I'm hoping it was just stripped out holes and I can fix them with dowelling the holes and redrilling.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  20. loudbang, drdave and pprather like this.
  21. This would be a good question for fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens

22. I’m sure liking the stance on your sedan!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Thanks for the link Jim! Sure enough, whole wood kit right there. Hopefully I won’t need it, but good to know it’s available if I do.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Most of it’s pretty simple shapped if you have a crusty old one to clone. Had to laugh this weekend when my buddy got himself a little T roadster pickup. If somebody thinks driving a stock A is a bit of work they would be melting down at the model t set up haha.

dwollam, drdave and loudbang like this.
  25. 1932tub

1932tub

I bought a Model T sedan and my Mother showed me how to drive it.

Atwater Mike, Nostrebor, Tim and 3 others like this.
  26. LOL...so true Tim. Funny story: Years ago my father in law was at an auction and his brother egged him into bidding on a T. Doug (my father in law) thought, well the reserve isn't met, so what's the harm. No further bids came in and in all the harping, the auctioneer announces the seller has lifted the reserve. Going once, going twice...SOLD. Now Doug owns a T. They head to the back and the seller asks if he's ever had a T before. Nope, I've had A's he said. Seller begins to explain all what to do....pull this, push that, stand here, hold your thumb this way, crank that way, watch out or it will rip your arm off, run you over, etc. Doug stops the guy and says I'll give you $500 to take it back right now. LOL

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol his has electric start but I like cranking it over anyways lol

Atwater Mike, drdave and loudbang like this.
  28. Dave,
    This looks like a great site to get wood as well. While I want to make mine, it almost seems easier to just buy it. Sadly, your is a lot more than the Tudor.

https://fordwood.com/index.html

29. Thank you!! I appreciate the link!! Yeah, I had no clue about A’s when I picked this one up...sure had no idea it’s a wood crate with a skin of metal covering it. I knew they had wood in them, just wasn’t aware the 4 drs were totally wood. Haha

Bowtie Coupe, Sancho and loudbang like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

To be fair it’s more expensive because there’s more wood in it, but it’s unlikely you’ll need more than a price here and there or small patches. I wouldn’t be to worried.

I’ll be down around the 22nd I’ll bring your stuff :)

loudbang likes this.