Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Do you know what a "Straight Shift" is ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, May 15, 2019.

1. spanners

spanners

I run an inline shifter in my HA/GR. 3 speed all synchro.

F-ONE likes this.
  2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

So a "straight shift" is a manual transmission floor shift?

We refer to transmissions like this: automatic/auto, manual/standard or stickshift, 3 spd manual, 3 on the tree, 3+OD floor shift, 4 on the floor, 6 spd auto. etc

F-ONE and Deuces like this.
  3. No, a straight shift is not always a floor shift. It can be on the column, too. But it is definitely a manual transmission.

jimgoetz, F-ONE, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  4. Well growing up in the 50's we called it Stick or Auto in my part of the
    Right coast!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

5. 26Troadster

26Troadster

heard straight shift, manual and standard all my life.

F-ONE, Deuces and sidevalve8ba like this.
  6. silent rick

silent rick

must be a southern thing, first time i'm hearing it. i always heard manual or standard transmission or stick shift.

7. BJR

BJR

On all the old TV westerns cowboys were always "Plumb Tuckered Out".

F-ONE, Deuces, Hnstray and 1 other person like this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Been so long since I've had a straight stick I wouldn't know what to do with it. Used to be an automatic. :cool:

Always just stick, 3 on the tree or 3 speed, 4 on the floor or 4 speed around here. Took high school Driver's Ed in a Chevy with 3 on the tree. Boy did that get abused.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree that straight shift is fairly regional but heard it from older guys when I was young.
    Usually meaning a three speed on the tree or a 3 speed floor shift
    Straight stick was usually the term for 3 on the column around here when I was young. = Joe bought a 55 Chevy tudor with a straight stick. As opposed to a Powerglide.
    If it had an Overdrive you had a Stick-over. My 51 Merc had a "stick-over" when I bought it in 1963.
    Granny 4 speeds were known as "compound" 4 speeds and still are by many around here.
    If you had a floor shift conversion that was always noted and if it was a Hurst you had a 3 speed Hurst. Cheap shifters didn't warrant name recognition.
    Due to the ag industry here this area is a mixed bag of people who came from all over the US and other places with a lot of them coming from the Ozarks to pick fruit as migrant workers and then deciding to stay when they found full time jobs after a few years of traveling around following the fruit. A lot of those guys with "back Home" as a prominent part of their vocabulary as in " back home we raced 3 power poles we didn't do no 1/4 mile" bought a lot of their regional terms here.
    Anyone who was drafted in the 60's will tell you that there are a lot of terms that were/are used in one region that mean the direct opposite in other regions of the country.

Deuces and F-ONE like this.
  10. Usually it was called a "straight stick" or a "stick shift" around here, or just a stick. Some of the older techs at work years ago would refer to them as a "hand-shaker".

If they were working on an old Chevy van with a manual trans it was a "Hippie-Hauler" with a "Hand-Shaker". :p

11. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Stick Shift when I grew up in SE MO.

12. I have heard straight in place of stick shift. But I have wandered more then most. :D Used to hear straight stick in the Ozarks a lot.

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

357D347E-4F53-4FA5-8E65-1CD822DB13FB.jpeg Yes I do...

lothiandon1940, Deuces and F-ONE like this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

It was a "standard shift" (dealers and old folks) or "stick shift" (younger crowd) where I come from (SoCal). Comes in either "Three on the tree" or "Four on the floor". Never heard "straight shift" 'til I heard it here.

Blues4U, F-ONE and Deuces like this.
  15. badvolvo

badvolvo

Straight shift is new to me. We called them manual, clutch car, three on the tree, 4 speed, slush box. Of course if you had a truck you had to be more specific. Many called a 4 speed a 3 speed with granny gear. If you had a powerglide, it was a powerslip.

F-ONE likes this.
  16. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Virginia lots of people say straight shift.
    A left coast tech friend says there they say (When you plug something into an a.c. outlet) "plug it in". Right coast here we say "plug it up".

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

F-ONE and williebill like this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

F-ONE and bowie like this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I agree with most of Mr.48's post.
    Here in California, grew up in Santa Clara (now silicon valley) but spent much time in L.A.
    Used car salesmen used the slang, and it got on the windshield ads of used cars...also in the 'leaders', or ads in the paper.
    "'55 Chev, straight stick, loaded" That meant std. 3 speed transmission, no overdrive; radio, heater.
    "'57 Ford, T-bird engine, stick-O.D." That was a std. transmission with overdrive.
    It was hardly regional, just salesman talk.
    "Corvette engine, straight stick, runs out real good..."
    Straight meant 'straight thru', overdrive meant +.

19. My father in law calls gas pedals "foot feeds"

He also calls going fast "getting on the pipe"

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've never heard of it till I read HRP's thread. A manual trans, was a stick or column shift, or just a manual. Don't really understand where it comes from either, what's "straight" about it?

jimgoetz likes this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

From the days of riding 2 stoke bikes. You installed an expansion chamber to increase the power, but it also moved the power range further up in RPM's. When the engine reached those RPM's it would pull really hard, or "on the pipe".

Those pipes work on 2 strokes by providing a large chamber to scavenge all the exhaust out of the cylinder, and some fresh air/fuel mixture along with it, then when the chamber fills with exhaust it would push back upstream and pack that extra air/fuel charge back into the cylinder, giving the engine a boost. The power band was narrow, and high up in the RPM range, but it was a helluva kick in the pants.

22. CruZer

CruZer

Never heard of it up here in the northeast.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

F-ONE likes this.
  23. Stick shift, three on the tree, floor box, floor shift, straight stick, column shift, side shift, slush box (automatic), that's most of them.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    F-ONE likes this.
  24. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Not as vintage as some of you and I grew up (1990s) on the west coast, so I got a conglomeration colloquial phrases from older rodders.
    Plumb= True or truly. A post is "plumb", a woman is "plumb" crazy, etc.
    I mostly heard "on the tree" because it can only be 3, "auto" for a slushbox, and "4 speed" or "4 on the floor".
    Unless it was a Hydro. Then it was called a Hydro.
    Never heard straight shift or straight stick.
    Most car guys when I was a kid referred to their transmissions (regardless of type) as piles of shit.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F-ONE likes this.
  25. Mike

Mike

My favorite term for a column shift 3 speed is "bolt action three speed".

26. Growing up in a cotton mill town you worked a "STRAIGHT SHIFT", ether first, second or third we drove "STRAIGHT DRIVE" cars and trucks. :) HRP

F-ONE likes this.
  27. A Straight shift is when a heterosexual decides to play for the other team

28. Squablow

Squablow

I always thought my dad was saying "foot feet", not "foot feed". He's the only guy I've ever heard say that. My neighbor used to say "straight stick" but otherwise everyone just calls it "stick". Like, "do you know how to drive stick?"

F-ONE likes this.
  29. And then a non-synchronized manual transmission was a "crash box" because the gears would "crash" if you didn't double-clutch properly.

F-ONE and 427 sleeper like this.
  30. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Here it was always a "stick shift" or an "automatic" whether on the floor or 3 on the tree.

F-ONE likes this.