Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anti Hot Rod & Muscle Car Enforcement by Wisconsin State Patrol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 26, 2019.

1. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well today after P/T I swung by and picked up my brother, "they call me bob" here on the HAMB and we made the trek over to Eau Claire to the WSP Headquarters. We explained to the receptionist who we were and wanted to know if she could tell us anything about the enforcement of statue 305.22 She replied wandering why this concerned us. We replied that we were from Minnesota and were hearing quite a few rumors/stories on some serious enforcement issues. We then told her our cars were without fenders but were licensed and titled in Minnesota and deemed street legal, but we did a lot of travel in Wisconsin. She then said it was are lucky day because she had a Captain and two Sargents in the lunch room, and would be right back. The verdict from the proverbial horse's mouth was if your car is legal in whatever state you car is titled in you are legal in Wisconsin. We both came away with impression that if your car was titled in Wisconsin in could be a long summer. She did not say it in so many words, but just our impression and thoughts.
    Dan and Bob

2. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

ADD: NSRA and Good Guys

3. I have a son in Michigan and a daughter in Minnesota. im going to look into getting the car registered in one of those states. I can do this the easy way or the hard way but im going to drive the car.

4. Speed~On

Speed~On

Minnesota is incredibly hot rod FRIENDLY.

5. Rather than take the sky is falling attitude, I'll wait for the court decision and I know how the statutes read and have been in the books for the last 40 or so years. All I hope for is an informed and fair judge.

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Now I admit I have no dog in the hunt but that's the problem I see from some of the posts above, instead of taking a collective stand most are just looking for ways around it. Different state tags etc.

If guys would just join forces and contact different car related inanities as some mentioned above and actually work to get the law changed instead of running and hiding maybe you could make a difference and it would no longer be a problem for anyone in the state?

A historian on t.v. last summer said his most asked questions on government was how do governments get so much one sided legislation passed? He said because the majority doesn't want to be bothered and the minority are the ones showing up at hearings, at rallies yelling and protesting on t.v. while the majority sit home and watch.... I bet he is absolutely right....

denis4x4, Kan Kustom and lurker mick like this.
  7. Speed~On

Speed~On

@lostone The last thing I am doing (or anyone else) is running and hiding. I contacted my State Senator and Legislative Representative last Thursday regarding my concerns. Immediately afterwards, I typed a post for this thread but did not post it.
    The HAMB has a rule regarding Political Posts. This thread and issue is far too important. I do not want to risk having this thread closed by the Moderators.
    I spoke to Curt for 2 hours on Sunday and we discussed the history of our state laws for motor vehicle equipment, the current status, and how we should proceed going forward. Please do not accuse us of not being proactive or "running and hiding" as that is not true.

Below is the post I typed last week. I'm posting it now for the first time:
    (Moderators, if this is too political, please just delete my post and not this entire thread. This is an important issue as it could happen in any state)

Thursday afternoon I contacted my state Senator in regards to the new interpretation of the law. We also discussed the unwillingness of officials at the WSP to come to the table and discuss the interpretation of the law. We had a productive conversation. They seem truly concerned and willing to help. They asked if I have been ticketed (which I have not as of yet). They also asked what has happened to those that have. They informed me they will begin looking into this.

We need to be unified. We need to voice the same objectives and concerns. Keep in mind, I only spoke to the rep for my district (which there are many in the state of WI). Another individual I spoke with at the Capital stated it would be beneficial to contact BOTH your WI State Senator for your district AND your WI Legislative Representative. The more reps that are aware of the issue, the better. This will show that it is not isolated to one area of the state, but rather the State of WI as a whole. Also, the more constituents that voice their concern will show that many are affected.

Wisconsin Hot Rodders, please feel free to contact your State Reps. They work for us and it's time for your voice to be heard. It was a good experience.

How To Find Your Representatives:
    Wisconsin State Legislature

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2019/legislators/assembly

Wisconsin State Senators
    https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2019/legislators/senate

If you are having difficulty finding your reps in the links, simply call 1-800-362-9472. This will connect you with the WI State Capital. They are very friendly. All they need is your address and they will give you the name and number for your state reps.

Like it or not, this is on our doorstep and now we must act. If we say nothing....do nothing, the writing is on the wall. We need to contact our State Reps and have our voices heard. We must carry this torch together. We cannot and should not expect Curt R. to do this alone. He has done a phenomenal job fighting for us and I'm sure he will continue to do so. We need to advocate with him.

It can be done!

Just look across the river to the great state of Minnesota! The M.S.R.A. (Minnesota Street Rod Association) has worked tirelessly with the Minnesota State Legislature throughout the past 40 years. In the state of Minnesota, it is LEGAL to have blue dot tail lights, no fenders, no hood, no front plate and YOM plates on classic cars. They even have special Minnesota Street Rod license plates. The state of Minnesota also dedicated a day in June as Minnesota Hot Rod Day. My point is, we can make progress by working with the legislature. Other states have made great accomplishments and we must do the same.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    R A Wrench, egads, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems that the interpretation of the various statutes is what this is all about. The court decision will spell it out for you and if your opinion differs then an appeal should be filed.

9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Thanks largely to the efforts of the Minnesota Street Rod Association. Is the Wisconsin Street Rod Association politically active?

10. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

racer-x I don't blame you one bit with a daughter in Minnesota. Like my older brother bobwieser said , wait till June and see what comes down. Even though we were told we were fine titled in Minnesota I still wonder if I am a target or am I fine? I personally do not even know if there is a WSRA, ISRA , take that as Iowa or Illinois but we do have to stick together.

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I would call SEMA and ask for help in putting a positive PR spin on the situation with the print, TV and radio stations. It’s always better to be on the offense in situations like this. I would call HD and ask for some help from their PR people.

12. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

In 1974 we were on the way St.Paul for the NSRA Street Rod Nationals from Indiana. If I remember correctly there were 4 of us. 3 fenderless T-buckets and 36 Ford coupe. We were pulled over on the interstate in Wisconsin. The trooper wanted to tow our cars in for not having fenders. He had no sense of humor at all and was determined to tow our cars. Someone was smart enough to call ahead to St. Paul and got ahold of the president of NSRA ( I don't think it was Walker then). He made a call to the governer of Wis. and he made a call to someone that told the trooper to let us drive through the state and back through to go home. Never had any more trouble. Later I had heard that Wis. had changed their laws (maybe not). Just my experience.

13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well I have gone to Back to the 50's in Minn. for over 27 years , been a member of the MSRA for 25 just to help in a small way to support this great event. I have been a Wisconsin resident since I was born almost 64 years ago! There is a Wisconsin Street Rod Association. Was going to join them in the mid 90's when we attended a nice little show in Fond du lac, had always seen their cars in a fairly big display back in the 70's and 80's at the Milwaukee world of wheels . But when I talked to them about joining they asked why a guy in Portage Wi wanted to join a car club in Milwaukee a 100 miles away. They are not a state wide group like MSRA. To be honest I do not even know if they are still active. I belong to the Dells Area Cruisers and we join a Wisconsin car club group in the mid 90's and attended meetings here and there for a few years but it never seemed like it took off either. Do not even know if it still exist ? I was hoping we would have some answers in June but in one of Curt R's latest post he said the June court date is just to set a trial date so as Brian { Racer X } says this could drag on for god knows how long. I wish we had a group here in Wisconsin like the MSRA. But that group has also been over 40 years in the making! Anybody out there have any short cuts? Cuz we don't got no 40 years! I for one am going to follow Speed on's suggestion and links an write some emails! Larry

Black_Sheep and Max Gearhead like this.
  14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Ok, I just googled Wisconsin Specialty Vehicle Council referenced in the above link^^^ and aside from a link regarding specialty plates nothing came up? And yes I can be computer stupid so what is the WSVC???? Larry

16. Speed~On

Speed~On

For those of you that plan to call your state Reps, but are wondering exactly what you should be discussing, listen to Curts appearance on wisconsinhotrodradio; or read the article. HAMBer @arkiehotrods posted the link above. Curt discusses the problems we are facing. This will clarify your talking points during your conversation and keep our concerns on track.

17. A Boner

A Boner

I watched a couple of YouTube videos on the new WSP Superintendent, Anthony Burrell. He seems like a very likable guy, who came up through the ranks at the WSP. All of the problems started BEFORE he became the Superintendent, (appointed by our new Governor) early this year. So I'm pretty sure he didn't instigate the WSP misinterpretations of the existing laws, dilemma. Hopefully after he becomes fully aware of the situation, he can get the WSP going in the right direction again.
    Our job, is being the squeaky wheel.....so the WSP can get some much needed oil!
    Email or call your Senator and Representative, and politely squeak.

Thor1, 0NE BAD 51 MERC and Phillips like this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  19. This is what it will take.Court cases are for the guy who has a problem NOW.Getting it changed involves law makers.Car clubs need to organize members to write letters, make calls.Rally to the capital to get their attention ,and news coverage would help.

20. A Boner

A Boner

image.png If you give a rip.....contact your legislators.....and politely tell them how upset you are!
    This is a link to the WISCONSIN..... "Who are my legislators". https://legis.wisconsin.gov/
    Also here above is a pic of the page the link will take you to.....but use the RED link to actually get there!
    All you have to do after you get to the DOT website is ENTER YOUR ADDRESS.
    When you have a few minutes, use the contact info to either call or Email your 2 legislators. It is way better to CALL than to Email!
    Please be polite when explaining you concerns.
    https://legis.wisconsin.gov/ <<<<<<< You have to use this link to get to the WISCONSIN website

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'd look into regulations regarding registering a vehicle is a jurisdiction ( another state) where you don't actually live.
    A lot of states have residency laws regarding things like that through the DMV and there are also rules that insurance companies use to determine rates based on liability depending on where you live.

You might think that you're being smart, (or smart assed) with your easy way or hard way comment, but think about it.
    Is committing fraud the easy way or the hard way ?

H380 likes this.
  22. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

Irishsteve is right, the court case is about one owner, but the solidary of many car owners showing up to observe at the June 13th 9:00am court hearing may let the court and the public know this is a bigger issue than one owner.

Wisconsin vehicle owners should contact their representative and tell them they are concerned about their hobby. Wisconsin really doesn’t need new laws: we need the consistent application of the existing laws that we did have for the last 2+ decades.

Follow this tread for updates on the court schedule.

23. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Good opportunity coming up to speak with a state senator for the Wisconsin 33rd district (Chris Kapenga)
    I will try to make it.

upload_2019-5-16_17-36-4.jpeg

PBRmeASAP, a boner and Speed~On like this.
  24. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

California (aka KomiFornia) made a recent law that said cop's could pull you over for having a modified exaust!

This law was spawned due to the IDIOT LOWERED TRUCK'S/NEW MUSCLE CAR'S doing what is called (TAKEOVER'S) which is when the people who drive car's close off intersections in the city and do donuts in the intersection.

so California made a law that allowed the cops to pull over these car's, also they made it a felony for doing the donuts in the 1st place, then they have now made it a ticket able offense for even watching now.

WE THE AUTOMOTIVE COMMUNITY created a petition and quickly got over 100k signatures calling for the exhaust law to be overturned (which it was).

however, there is NO PETITION FOR TAKEOVERS.

the Automotive community is so large, that in these areas where the city concordances seem to get out of hand, we have a choice to sign and fix it.

So get with your car show people, make a Face book page, and Instagram and make a page to collect signatures and get this dumb ass law overturned.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

image.png
    Tim, thanks! Hope to see you there on Wednesday, May 22nd at 7:00 PM.
    Here is a map of the 33rd district.....

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  26. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not sure, but i think missouri has weight guidelines for fendered cars. in my 30 years driving ready-mix trucks, if the truck kicks up a rock that causes damage, it's a "road hazard" and the car owner's problem. if a rock or something falls off the truck, then the truck is at fault. something that amuses me is seeing dump trucks with signs warning drivers to "stay back 500 feet--we don't pay for broken windshields."

jazz1 likes this.
  27. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Impromptu Car show Wednesday May 22nd 5PM- 8PM DELAFIELD WI.
    Post #203 above......read it if you haven't!
    Post #205 above......has a map of the 33 district that Senator Chris Kapenga serves.

If you live near Delafield Wi., plan on attending this meeting. If you live in the #33 district, politely voice your opinion about fenders and other collector car stuff stuff as it relates to the WSP.
    If the weather is good, bring your collector car.
    If the weather is not good, attend with you family car.....just be there!

It would be nice if the local......Milwaukee media gets invited.
    Spread the word!

pprather likes this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Thankfully the men in blue are not as anti hot rod in this day and time as they were when I was in my teens, I felt as if I had a target painted on my car, I was a magnet for a ticket, loud mufflers, excessive noise, improper lane changes,speeding and racing, they burnt me up for that one!

Today the jeeps running around are much louder than my old cars. HRP

30. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

Let me repost this with some additional wording to avoid confusion.

Automotion

If you were planning to go then don't go, the new interpretation wins.

If you go and get a ticket/warning; but don't fight the ticket/warning and/or change your car, new interpretation wins.

WHEN the "NEW" interpretation of the regs by the State Patrol wins, it will spread beyond fenders.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.