Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using Web Straps to Suspend Engine from Shop Crane & Leveler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Bennett, May 13, 2019.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here is one I use-3 feet long IMG_2141.JPG

Peter Berghs likes this.
  2. mickeyc

mickeyc

As a certified rigger at several nuclear power stations
    I have used synthetic lifting slings extensively. The stoutest I ever dealt with was rated at 500,000 lbs. Like
    all tools proper use is the key. We are extensively trained before using any rigging. That being the case
    once the tool room loses data on a sling it is discarded.
    Thus I have a nice selection of various lengths and
    capacities in my shop. I do use chains as well, but prefer the synthetics. In structural steel erection wire
    cable slings are the predominant choice of rigging.
    This is due to the harsh conditions and rough service encountered in steel erection. Just a thought.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Steel erection, maybe when I was alot younger! Sorry, couldn't resist.

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have used them for many many years on heavy heavy loads . I have had lengths of 36in pipe suspended with nylon “ slings “ or “ chokers “ . As explained if you see red it’s dead . Cut it up so no one else will try to use it and get hurt . Everything has a factor of safety built into it to meet standards . An engine fully dressed will never reach load rating of a 2in nylon sling . Myself way more practical than a chain . Chains are easy to adjust the length to your needs , not so with chokers or slings . Parts are replaceable , pinch points are everywhere when lifting be careful , it’s tuff at this point to buy a new finger or two . I think China import maybe your best bet , but it will look and smell like poop .