Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods “Budget” aluminum cylinder heads..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, May 15, 2019.

1. ok..not super traditional..feel free to delete mods...but looking a heads for my SBF build that will perform better than the 1970 heads that are gonna be door stops...I keep looking at the Skip White heads...or the Promaxx...seems as though they are Chinese castings and assembled and machined here in the US and A...am I being an idiot here even considering these things..I can buy the Edelbrock E series for $250.00 more, but I believe those are a “can’t beat em join em” head to compete with the others I mentioned..
    I’m trying to put together a 325-350 HP 289 that will live for years....make me smile when I mash the pedal, sounds good at a light..I’m not planning on making this a race car..just a little hot street car....if anyone on here has a magic 289 recipe let me here it.....

And somebody buy my Chevy...I need parts money!!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  2. Why second guess yourself. Spend the extra $250 and never look back. That's what I did.

Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is nothing wrong with the castings. Word to the wise, take them to a machine shop for disassembly and check the machine work. Once properly machined and assembled they are just fine. That goes for the edelbrock heads as well. Money well spent.

loudbang, Deuces and egads like this.
  4. badvolvo

badvolvo

USA vs China? You have to ask? Spend the extra $250.00 get quality and keep the USA working.
    I am a fan of Profilers on my BBC, Trick Flow and AFR on my SBC's.

Deuces, jaw22w and scotty t like this.

5. earlymopar

earlymopar

Why do think you need aluminum heads to make that level of horsepower? Extremely easy with your stock heads and larger valves.

- EM

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    loudbang, Deuces and mlake01 like this.
  6. I've heard lots of people recommend getting the heads checked out, and using known valve train products, not the ones supplied.
    As an aside, there should be a good supply of GT40 or Explorer heads in your area. Cheaper, flow well, and unleaded friendly.

loudbang, alanp561, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  7. The heads that were on the motor won’t work with the cam I wanna run...1970 289 2 barrel heads were turds..if they were true 65 heads I would work with them..I love porting heads..the other thing is the $$ to get the machine work done is not really saving much and the alum heads are a lot lighter and flow considerably better

8. I think the Edelbrock E series heads are Chinese castings too....the skip white heads have all comp cam springs, retainers, etc..

9. badvolvo

badvolvo

I Don't know, Edelbrock claims made all their heads are cast in USA.

Deuces and sidevalve8ba like this.
  10. Fordors

Fordors

I agree, Edelbrock has owned and operated their own foundry for years.

Deuces and pitman like this.
  11. Looked at the ad, pretty transparent with their info. Wish I had the same with my heads. Bought an assembled fresh engine from a fellow in southern Ontario. Heads are ProComp, but I'm trying to figure out what the components are. Have bought some Comp Cams parts, and will get machine shop to check seats/guides etc.

Deuces likes this.
  12. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

Edelbrock doesn't show flow numbers for their heads. Nearly everyone else does. I find the Chinese aftermarket heads that have a good valve job can do what you need, but they typically are low on exhaust side flow, which can be corrected to a point.

Deuces likes this.
  13. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Skip's at least using good known valvetrain parts, some other vendors not so much.
    The Edelbroke low end heads have some pretty cheap looking valves and springs/retainers/locks, so that's a big minus in my book.
    I've used 3 sets of the SBC import casting (ProHeader, Assault, NKB, Power Products, RaceParts Company "RPC",) and that casting is not the same as the ProComp/SpeedMaster junker. Buy them bare, then get the good parts for the valvetrain from Competition Products.
    With good valvetrain parts it can make a pretty good head, far better than wasting money on rebuilding any stocker, even if in your case if you hade 289 HiPo or '69 4V Windsor.

Anybody else think Edelbrocks website sucks now since they updated it, extremely hard to search for anything specific anymore.

14. The aforementioned GT40P head is Ford's best flowing head for the series. There are 2 things to consider: The spark plugs are relocated. Not all headers will work. These are pedestal rocker stud. Depending on your cam choice, this could pose a problem. At some point, money is always a deciding factor. :)

Deuces likes this.
  15. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

I bought the Flotek heads from Speedway. I wanted the small valves and runners for a 302. My driving would never make use of large valves and runners.
    That said , they’re still on a shelf waiting for me.

Deuces likes this.
  16. earlymopar

earlymopar

Understood on your current heads not working with the rest of your build. Yes weight savings are a given.

- EM

17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I'm gonna be the 3rd one here to recommend the Profiler heads. Built entirely in the USA. Ohio. I believe. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know shit from shinola about Ford engines. Only that the distributor is sometimes on the wrong end. But if the excellent technology of the Chevy Profiler head crosses over to the Ford head, it is a great head. I have a set on my SBC. These heads are almost as good as AFR and better than the Edelbrock or NKB.

Deuces likes this.
  18. How about Brodix? They have a budget SBC head that I've heard good stuff about. I believe they now make Summits SBC heads also.

Deuces likes this.
  19. Well I would definitely pull the skip heads apart and message them..and check spring pressure, valve guides, etc...he seems pretty proud of em..guys are running good numbers with em..again assemble and machined here..with Comp Cams stuff...I’ll buy the dart guides and ARP rocker stud’s... I got a buddy swing what his price is on some world products heads..we’ll go from there I guess

20. Skip White has a good reputation. I talked with the guys at Flotek when I was building my 355 Chevy in late 2015. My builder steered me over to something better and I wound up with a Dart top-end kit. The Edelbrocks were ones I looked at too. Set up a search on Summit, plug and chug and narrow it down. What did Ford do to get 271 HP out of a 289 with iron heads?

Deuces likes this.
  21. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

22. Bigger carb, better intake, better flowing exhaust, more compression, and a hotter cam..

The Chevy guys don’t seem to fear the Chi Com castings as much as the Ford guys..lots of LS guys making big HP with em

23. loudbang likes this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Trick Flow seem to be the choice of the Ford guys. I ended up with a set of P heads for my 302 build.