Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Facet fuel pump sufficient ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pa G., May 13, 2019.

1. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

First,another thank you to the good folks who responded to my ethanol compatible fuel hose question. On my next question I saerched here first but didn't come up with much.
    I'm re doing my fuel delivery system.
    Car: 48Ford mild custom. Hurst 1 piece front motor mount. No room for mechanical pump. Stock Drake repro steel tank. 3/8 gas lines.
    Engine: mild stock bore 1963 chevy 283. Single Rochester 4 jet 4GC 4 bbl. about 500 cfm.
    solid lifter flat tappet cam,not radical at all. Possibly stick passenger car or pickup factory cam.

My question is: Should one of the Facet cube fuel pumps be enough for this combo?
    Pump specs: max pressure 3 to 4.5. 60 inch dry lift.
    Typical flow 15 gph at 2 psi. Maximum delivery 32 gph at free flow.
    Pump has an internal check valve that prevents gas from draining back to the tank. Is this a good feature?
    Pump is compatible with blended fuels including E85. The 10% ethanol we run around here is bad enough.

Sorry for long post but I figure too much info is better than not enough. My high buck electric pump just died after six years and I've seen good revues on the Facet cubes. Does this one sound like a good candidate for my application? Thanks much for any guidance.

2. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

Oh yeah,pump will be located low and a couple of feet in front of tank.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am using a little low pressure Facet cube pump on my 1953 Ford flat head
    with a 390 Holley and it works fine. I think you will be fine using it.

4. F&J

F&J

I bought a new Facet from a local NAPA, same one, the lower pressure one. I ran it "in line" back near the tank for 6-8 months only to prefill the twin carbs (on my early Olds 324) if it sat dormant for a few days. But then the mechanical pump let go, leaking gas, due to the new gas and so I just used the Facet. That Facet pump starting knocking loudly 3-5 months later, at dusk, one town away...and instantly stopped pumping.

NAPA would not take it back as I lost the receipt. I don't know if mine was just a fluke, but I'm not ready to trust another one at almost $60 with tax. So now I am back on mechanical, and must start the car every day so the carbs don't dry up and then have to crank the heck out of the starter.

So I'm reading any replies here for my own situation.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Since you are back on mech and hopefully it is Alcohol compatable and you are back to needing a primer pump I would give a Facet another chance; but be sure the specs say Alcohol compatible and don't lose recept!!;)

F&J likes this.
  6. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

Thanks for the input all. Maybe I'd be better off with the popular Carter 4070. I'm developing a real dislike for electric fuel pumps.

7. alchemy

alchemy

I had an old Stewart Warner pump that started giving me fits last year, so I replaced with a new Carter p4070. But man is that new Carter a noisy thing! It hums so loud, and I even used the insulating rubber washers supplied on the mount it came with. I'm going to try another set of rubber insulators between the bracket and the frame.

I always try to buy non-ethanol gas, which is usually available at Casey's stations here in the midwest.

F&J likes this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

NOTE on primeing pumps: The Facet "rattle" pumps act as a check valve. The newer Edelbrock micro pumps appear to have some sort of turbine pump - I have definitely confirmed that, when the electric pump is off, it restricts the fuel flow to the mechanical pump on your engine.

I have a love-hate relationship with electric pumps. Lots of experience 392 CID engines (OT International Harvester V-8 <it's NOT a HEMI>).

Knockoff copies of the Holley Red pump would develop gasket leaks and start dripping gas while sitting in the driveway (fortunately, both trucks were outside).

Switched to Facet "rattle" pumps. If you use them for your only fuel pump. just be resigned to the fact that they will die after a few years of use. I used 2 Facet "rattle" pumps in parallel (works because the pump acts like a check valve), and a dash mounted toggle switch to select which pump is running. And bypass the pump on the engine - as mentioned above, a diaphragm failure fills the crankcase with fuel.

I am starting to use the Edelbrock Micro pumps (quieter), not enough miles on the (more-or-less On Topic) gas 1962 Volvo and the (Off Topic (parts are 1952)) diesel truck to report success or failure. SO FAR: Avoid cheap ball valves for fuel shut-off valves...

F&J and KoolKat-57 like this.
  9. egads

egads

Casey's around southwest Mo. are all ethanol.

10. Kid has had good luck with Airtex electric pumps.
    In the past I have used Holley and Carter pumps; but always disliked how noisy they were.

11. alchemy

alchemy

This one?

ATX-E8012S_UU_GD_xl.jpg

How loud is it? Does he mount it with anything more than the strap provided?

12. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve had real good luck with the facet/ purolator/ mr gasket square pumps. Got one on the Lincoln that fed a similar 350 two barrel just fine. Also used one on a built Ford 302 and a stock 460. I mount mine on a rubber pad so you don’t hear it when the engine is running.
    I ran a blue Holley for a while, you could hear that thing over open headers!

14. That looks like it. Mounted them with the provided strap. While we momentarily powered them up to test circuitry while wiring several cars, I can't think of anything distinctive about the sound.

15. Kinda taking this thread off on a tangent; but are you using regular biscuit mounts with your Hurst mount and if you are, how thick of a spacer are you using between the block and Hurst mount?

16. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

bonzo,I wish the clockable pump would work for me but the front crossmember is in the way too. If I was building this car frame off I would want to notch the crossmember and box in the notch. Unfortunately this is beyond my capabilities at this time. Swapping in a flatty would have been an inexpensive way out forty years ago,but not so now and flatties come with their own sets of woes. I'll figure this out one way or another with the advice of fellow Hambers.