Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turn signal problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, May 15, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm putting a So Cal 5007R turn signal assy in my 28. I've got everything working except the turn signals come on but don't flash. They call for a 3 prong flasher with this one and my Speedway wiring harness has a 2 wire. Right now I think the problem is the blue wire that is suppose to go to flasher P terminal that I don't have. Would it be best to get a HD 3 prong flasher or is there a way to wire around it? Seems like I remember on some of them there were 2 ways to wire depending on which flasher you have.

2. squirrel

squirrel

The P terminal connects to a single indicator light. If your dash has two indicator lights, for left and right, then connect those lights to the front turn signal wires, and you can use a 2 prong flasher.

if you have only one indicator light, then connect the P terminal on a 3 prong flasher to the single indicator light.

As far as not flashing...if it's a normal 552 flasher can, and you have all the lights connected but they don't flash, maybe there is a ground issue at one of the lights, or you have the wrong filament connected, or something? a light being dim would be a symptom of this.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I didn't get to fool with this very long, my turn signal assy has the one indicator light built in. I have it laying in the floor and I'm pretty sure it has to be grounded. That might be the problem, to many hours today I guess.. I got a set of parking and turn signal lights from Speedway and they are LED. I'll have to run an electronic flasher with them, won't I? My tail lights have regular 1157 bulbs.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Like Jim (squirrel) said. You need a 550 3 prong flasher. You'll need to make jumpers so L and X terminal of 3 prong flasher will go into your harness then use terminal P of flasher for your turn signal indicator.

What you have
    [​IMG]
    What you need

[​IMG]

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Thanks, will the 550 work with my front LED lights?

6. squirrel

squirrel

But being two or three prong probably wont' affect the thing not flashing... Having LEDs in some places, and not having the switch unit grounded, might affect it.

7. squirrel

squirrel

a normal 550 probably won't work with LEDs, but an electronic one should

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done a few. Just did a 40 and 39. Signal switch is type with indicator light on the stalk-unit must be grounded. Put jumper in panel to replace 2 prong flasher then hooked up to 3 prong and wires as per instructions. LED tailights-regular lights for park and turn in front-work fine-front bulbs have enough load to trigger flasher.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Good deal, I'll order a 3 prong flasher tomorrow and if I have time I'll give it a try.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

NAPA 550 specs.
    • Thermal Flasher
    • 1 - 4 Lamps
    • 36 Hrs
    • 12 Volt, 150 Watt

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

cheapo, shiddy kit I bought had you put 2 wires together for the 2 prong...
    tore it out gave it to some guy with a '30 fordor… probably hates me now...

12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Already been said that the flasher needs the load of a regular bulb to make it flash, a load which LED's generally don't have. Having said that there are some LED's which are made with the load in the electrickery, so it's a bit of a lottery. Electronic, no load flashers are available.

Chris

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

OP wrote "My tail lights have regular 1157 bulbs." Load accomplished.

14. squirrel

squirrel

some flasher cans will flash with one bulb load, but some require two

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes. I run only one. Make that two with indicator ;). But it doesn't really count.

olscrounger likes this.
  16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Fixed, 3 prong regular flasher, grounded the unit. Thanks for the help everyone.