Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New holley 600 carb leaking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, May 15, 2019.

1. Hello again.
    I have a new(bought it in 2011 ran the engine for 5 seconds then i just covered it with a dimmu borgir shirt.
    Started the coe last week and noticed the carb leaking at the base so i tightened the bolts..
    Now its been a week and the carb has been sittin leaking under the accelerator diaphram..
    Is there a trick to stop them from leaking or do i gotta replace seals/gaskets or the diaphram?

Can i just tighten the screws?

2. squirrel

squirrel

the trick is, don't put fuel in them, and leave them sitting for 8 years, and expect it to work right.

Take it apart, inspect, you'll probably have to buy a kit for it, or at least a few individual parts

3. partssaloon

partssaloon

In our heat, it's been sitting to long. Change the gaskets and diaphragm with new stuff.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. Stooge

Stooge

Maybe if you used a Darkthrone or Immortal tshirt instead you wouldnt be having these problems?

Seems like taking the bowl off to tighten the screws holding the acceleerator pump and diaphragm in place and probably not stopping the leak is just a tiny bit less work than replacing the diaphragm amd probably fixing the leak.

(Keeping extra carburetors handy in the living room has be proving to be worth it lately o_O )
    20190515_193200.jpg

Deuces, loudbang and squirrel like this.

5. Took the diaphram out,its dry and some places dissintegrated...

I was expecting those answers...
    I thought that the metal shirt would protect the rubber parts..
    We can fix erectile discfunction but cant make rubber that resists fuel.

Deuces and slayer like this.
  6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Make sure you put the green diaphram in not a cheap black one...

catdad49, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. Next time try a Slayer shirt! Hell, with a pic of dime bag for your avatar nothing less then Pantera shirt should do! From my experience, holley accelerator pumps don't last dry after being exposed to gas. That includes the green ones.

8. Dam.just ordered 3

Deuces likes this.
  9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

The green ones are more resistant to shitty ethanol fuel...

10. My PANTERA shirts are only for special occasions.
    Well its a good thing theyre easy to replace

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hope you didn't over tighten the bowl screws, most carburetors are delicate.

12. tomic

tomic

from what?

rubber, fuel, etc are organic and like food, go bad just sitting there. it's like us waiting to get younger. as a loose rule of thumb, if it's soft and flexible it has a built-in limited lifetime. even outside of California.

Deuces, loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  13. inthweedz

inthweedz

I would make sure the surfaces are flat where the acc pump housing bolts to the carb, rub the lower housing on a flat surface with coarse wet and dry, and file the carb surface with a wide flat file wrapped with wet and dry as well..

Deuces likes this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

What bands do yous guys listen to????...o_O:confused::rolleyes:
    What ever happened to Foghat, the Who, Rolling Stones, Golden Earing,. Etc, etc???? :rolleyes:
    I must be old.... :(