Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with details please--attaching 30-31 visor on a 28 tudor wood header

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cree, May 15, 2019.

1. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

This swap has been addressed a lot here but I'd appreciate specifics how a 30-31 visor might fit and attach on top of the 28-29 wood header when not filling the roof. I'm still undecided about this swap for stoplight visibility, so can anyone please help with tips/pix of advice before I reshape a 28 header? My 28's crown molding fit to the new wood header is poor anyway, so somethings gotta happen. I understand a 30-31 header and the fascia under the visor are specific, and side attachment ears need modified.
    (Pix not loading right now, sorry). Thanks!

2. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Ahh--pix loaded!

Attached Files:

3. chopndrop

chopndrop

I'd like to see as well, so I'll bump this back up

4. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

So...
    The 30-31 visor I got from Howell's was really thin and flexy. But the edges were folded and it was fair as far as I could tell so I started chopping on it. Two rectangles of 16 ga. were cut to serve as as new mounting tabs, drilled to fit the mounting holes on each side of the A-pillar, and screwed in position. Then the 30-31 tabs were cut off the visor and its sides slid over the rectangles. The visor was raised into best position and tack welded to the new tabs (the photo shows the visor butted to the tonneau cover channel that retains the front of the snap top). Pieces were fabricated to cover the forward end of the roof tin on each side and welded into the visor, ground and bondo'd. No alteration was required to the '28 wood header, allowing me to revert if I later decide to install a original-style fabric top. Due to the straight '30 visor over the curved '28 wood header, and the different header covers in those years, the wood header remained exposed under the visor so some creative gap filling and sealing will be needed.
    30 visor on 28.jpg