Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can someone please buy this! 1932 Ford Pick-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, May 14, 2019.

1. The major difference in the Volks Rod and this abortion is the Volks rod is cool and I would be proud to own it, I'm afraid the corvair powered 32 pickup is so overpriced it would be impossible to build a hot rod on a budget.

I don't remember who built the first one but I thought it was a cool low budget car. HRP

[​IMG]

2. Living in an igloo will do that to a guy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5window likes this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course you are, you're in California;)

4. It is not my taste, but scrap everything but the cab?
    There is some very good fab work in the bed. As well as in the chassis. A rebuild Corvair drive train that has to be worth something.

What's wrong with people someone puts an American Corvair engine in a 32 and everyone hates it...
    ...but put a Japanese Lexus engine in a 32 Ford and people Ooh and Ahh.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am soooo glad you said this.....because I am considering putting an OT Japanese DOHC in-line six in my ‘37 Chevy.....:)

6. Henry, Nader and the General

7. It’s incapable of doing what it’s supposed to do. It’s s a truck but you can’t use it so it’s not it. It’s s hot rod but not, it’s a rolling display of ingenuity but it’s not.

8. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I think the first Volksrod was built by Kent Fuller.
    Tom Medley had one which last time I knew was owned by Billy Belmont.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Rather have the Corvair with the flathead.

10. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

For any car to have any value it has to have something redeeming. Yes the running Corvair motor is worth something, but I can't tell from pictures how good everything else is.
    Unless someone somewhere is seeing something I'm missing, I'm thinking lucky to get $1.5K-$2K for it.
    I bet it's all a boogered mess.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

OLDTINPUSHER likes this.
  11. Boy is that the truth.

12. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Am I missing something or...
    Shouldn't there be a frame rail in sight here? Tube chassis? Plus the paint is chipped, the door hinge area looks weak. Paint and hang doors before properly fitting doors? With duct tape. Won't that pull off paint when removed? Grill is..? no interior shots, why?
    In the 1980's Saab put the ignition key and main wiring harness between the front seats. Why? looks cool, cuz we can, etc. If you didn't snap off the key in the ignition, the catalytic converter heat shield would eventually fall off and melt the main wiring harness and set the car on fire.
    I feel sick to my stomach. :(

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  13. LOL I would not ooh and aah over anything with a Lexus in it not even a Lexus. :D Just unrefined I guess.:oops:

I think that if I had the little pickup and more money than time I would turn it back into a pickup to be proud of and keep the 'vair motor to build myself a drag bike. :D :D :D

King ford and 5window like this.
  14. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Don't worry, we'll hate that here too.

King ford likes this.
  15. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

If anyone watched the BBC Top Gear episode about the worst car they had their choice. Their reasoning was it's easy to say an inexpensive car is junk...but it's cheap! Their #1 pick was a car that's expensive and doesn't do anything well: power, nice ride, comfort, handling, performance.
    Their worst car pick? Lexus

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No doubt. But I do not intend to post it here. However, historically, it is a fitting swap. One of Toyota's earliest successful cars was a 'cloned' '36 Chevy including the stovebolt 6 cylinder engine. Using the great, great grandson of that engine in a period Chevy seems reasonable.

Not sure how that squares with the marketplace where millions of people have, and continue to, buy Lexus vehicles. btw, I don't own one, not really my style, but the quality seems to be there.

southerncad likes this.
  17. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I retired years ago from the service business and my experience is lots of things man makes is "the best" because they have great advertising. If enough people are convinced something is great, they'll buy it.
    My experience was there's no direct correlation between quality and price paid, no matter if it's a tool, appliance, restaurant, clothes, cars...list goes on.
    Millions of people eat fast food, smoke, drink...that doesn't mean that's what they should buy or do.

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Overall, I agree with your basic premise. But to suggest nothing is really very good is simply not true.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I want to be open minded, but I can't imagine a worse thing to do with a '32 truck.

FB_IMG_1558060524470.jpg

sevenhills1952 and williebill like this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

So sad. A very bad idea that only got worse at each step.

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  21. They actually cured that problem in the '62 Model year. Nader was just a professional whiner.

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I dunno about 'cured.' :) Regardless, this poor truck deserves a good home.

66-Chevy-Corvair-Corsa-DV-11-PH_05.jpg

23. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Where did I "suggest nothing is really very good"?
    What I was alluding to was simply because something is PERCEIVED as the best doesn't make it so. There are lots of orphan cars (Packard is one) that were great cars no longer produced not for lack of true quality.

24. Odins parkhard

Odins parkhard

If the price and title were rite I'd buy it, tear it down n put it on a 4x4 chassis w a I 6 and use it as a truck! The corvair parts would be at the next meet minus the turbo, but I didn't see that either..... humm. Ford body, jeep chassis, packard 8 engine ?