Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Olds steering conversion to faster ratio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r156, Nov 4, 2017.

1. r156

r156

Is there any suggestions how to find a faster ratio steering box for my 1955 Oldsmobile
    Reb

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

spambot?

reported.

Back to the original question.

1. smaller steering wheel
    2. shorter steering arms

3. flatoz

flatoz

I forget who, but someone did a build up on a 55-6 buick that they put the whole jag front and rear under the car. if you put a jag front you will get disc brakes and power rack and pinion.

That may not be you, but I just spent time recently rebuilding my front end and then went through the annoyance of putting a scarebird disc brake conversion in that didn't work as it should and cost me $$ to get it right ( no real help from the company after multiple contacts).

So what I'm saying is , to be honest, the whole jag front end would have been cheaper in the end... just sayin...

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

3. longer pitman arm, if there is room

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Elpolacko did a 57 Oldsmobile

6. Just my 2c, but I'm not sure how well that idea would work. Most of the cars from that period did not have power steering and so the larger wheel and slower ratio aided in parking. I notice the difference between my daily and the '57, but we are talking about almost 30 years of improvements.

7. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

Flatoz: Im seriously thinking of purchasing the Scarebird disc brake conversion kit for my '55 Olds. If you don't mind, could you PM me with all the details of the problems encountered?
    Many thanks, Mike

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

A lot of IMCA cars use a quick steer adapter such as Colman.

9. belair

belair

I think it was Z-man or T-man that did a Jag front and rear too. Elpolako and a lot of other really talented guys are sorely missed.

Baumi and zman like this.
  10. @Martin_F did a conversion on his 56. Look up his thread for the details

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah I did my '57 Buick Jag front and rear. There used to be a thread. I still can see some of the pics on Photobucket. I'm touched that I'm missed.

[​IMG]

belair likes this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Easiest way to quicker steering would be a smaller diameter steering wheel. Either a newer wheel or custom wheel that will fit, or cut yours down and weld on the rim off a newer car then Bondo the joints and paint it.