Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking at another HA/GR trailer... LOL

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by robsimmons, May 9, 2019.

1. robsimmons

robsimmons

I stumbled across this the other day while browsing for a utility trailer... Looks like it might be better used as race car parts to me...

The '33 Chevy frame I got for my first HA/GR project (Twisted Sixter) was being used as a trailer as well... Hmmm... Trailer axle 3.jpg Trailer axle 4.jpg Trailer axle.jpg

Crosley likes this.
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I found a house trailer frame for sale nearby and bought it. In the succeeding week I chopped three feet off the back, moved the axle forward, fixed a faulty hitch, mitered in a skid plate to the tongue, added a third draw bar member to the tongue, boxed the front crossmember, added fenders, added three tie-down sites, and narrowed it down. I also installed a new jack and winch. trailer 01.jpg trailer 04.jpg trailer 06.JPG trailer 07.JPG The rear crossmember got a drop-center to facilitate loading and unloading. Fold-up ramps were installed. My champ car or my Anglia will just fit. The fenders were made from pieces of a plastic 55 gallon drum. They swing out to facilitate loading the champ car.

sr_072.jpg

It looks 'old school' enough for me.

[EDIT; OH. I THOUGHT YOU WERE LOOKING AT TOWING IDEAS. ON FURTHER READING I SEE YOU WANT TO TURN THE TRAILER FRAME INTO A HAMB CAR. NEVERMIND. NEVERTHELESS,THIS TRAILER BUILD WORKED FOR ME.]

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Both builds have promise.

Chassis parts for a race car are a good thing and a trailer to haul the race car will be needed too. Whenever we get our HA/GR finished I'm planning on an old school home-built trailer to haul it.

4. robsimmons

robsimmons

I really like what you've done for your trailer Frenchtown! I have been looking at several trailers online and there are quite a few frames similar to where you started for really cheap. I have too many projects to consider adding a trailer project along with them,... or do I...? LOL

5. robsimmons

robsimmons

Can someone help to try and identify this axle from the pics? It's an old I beam with a single spring and connected wishbone, but I am not at all familiar with these things. I will be picking it up in the next few days and can get some measurements and a better first hand look, but someone may be able to tell me just by looking at the pics. Thanks!

6. robsimmons

robsimmons

Here are a couple more pics...

Trailer axle 6.jpg Trailer axle 1.jpg

7. mramc1

mramc1

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Axle, spring, perches, wishbone, spindles, crosslink're '28 - '31 Ford.
    Same front end as the Flyin' Brick II.
    Hubs may be pre '31, can't make'em out.
    Drums're likely pre '31.
    Rims, etc're something different.

MVC-006S.JPG

'Brick II (2).jpg

Ford beam axles.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. robsimmons

robsimmons

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

10. robsimmons

robsimmons

Not a bad score for $80. :)

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  11. robsimmons

robsimmons

I finally got around to picking up the trailer/parts last night. Not much of a trailer, but the parts are cool.

I handed him $80 and he handed me back $20, "Thanks for your service." Nice folks.

It's now sitting in the weeds and tall grass next to the '33 Chevy frame... LOL

64 DODGE 440 likes this.