Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hydro 4-Speed to Chevy starter help - what am I looking for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCTA Chris, May 13, 2019.

1. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Cranking away and so close to being road ready this summer when the machine shop calls... my block mounted starter doesn't line up.

I'm running a Hydro-Motive 4 speed Hydramatic behind a Chevy 301, the supplied adapter was the '55-59 truck bell housing. This trans also uses a modified smaller truck torus. So I'm on the hunt for what will fit and after a few calls I'm thinking the V8 Hydramatic (truck only) starter is a unique one. I contacted a few salvage yards who might have one "on the starter pile" but want to know part number or nose cone length. Anyone familiar enough with these to have some specs, pics or a work around?

Thanks!

silent rick likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

Yes, I think it is, because I know for sure that the one for a 6 in those A/T trucks only fits the 6 cylinder engine with those Hydramatics. In other words the 6 cyl A/T starter won't work on a V8 A/T hydramatic.

as far as numbers... I do have just one old Motors Manual that actually listed starter numbers (Delco), but I know it's cars-only, not for trucks. I don't think I have a Truck Motors Manual for that new, my truck ones are older I think.

One more book would be Hollanders, but I don't know if those would need to be for trucks? Some guys here have said they have Hollanders manuals.

3. theboss20

theboss20

It’s a VERY rare starter but if somebody can come up with the O.E. DELCO number call 800-822-0819 and ask for Matt...he may have one. Two bolt flange mount with about an inch longer throat from the mounting flange towards the ring-gear as I remember it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. F&J

F&J

I did find a 1959 Motors Truck Manual here, but.....they do list all the Delco numbers for all of the Chevy truck starters in those years the book goes back to, but the numbers do not say which engine or transmission that the starter numbers fit. The number chart is only so you can bench test the starter after you read the number on the tag of the starter you are testing, to then get the correct load specs & rpm, etc.

The car manuals do tell what each number fits, but the truck manual does not.

5. silent rick

silent rick

you da man. a 301 backed by a hydro. you're my hero

427 sleeper likes this.
  6. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Thanks guys, It looks like a 3 bold flange
    I did find a pic on ebuy, only if you buy the whole trans and adapter.
    Of course no numbers in the pic.

Attached Files:

7. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Will do, thanks for the lead!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

8. didn't B and M make an adapter for a hydro that used a standard Chevy starter?
    probably more rare than the starter ya need

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    427 sleeper likes this.
  9. Don't know if this will help or not. Found this on the GM Heritage website from the 1957 Chevy Truck Specifications book. It's listed for a 283 with automatic trans and I'm guessing the Hydramatic would have been the only possible choice...??? :confused:

InkedScreenshot_2019-05-13 1957-Chevrolet-Truck pdf_LI.jpg

10. that number had a couple ebuy hits

pricey
    but looks like a regular 3 bolt starter

11. Hollander #706 chevy truck 55-59 V8 w/Hydro no interchang GM #1107643 1107674 12 volt

Tim and KCTA Chris like this.
  12. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

It's starting to click now... I checked Claymarts numbers and what Anthony mentioned on ebay. I remember truck specific and wouldn't interchange to cars as the current ebay ones do. The left pic is the snout for the #1107670 compared to the one I was told was the correct truck starter (for sale if I would buy a complete trans.) The snout is a lot longer. Maybe to clear the bulge in the torus/flywheel? thanks guys - I'm learning.

Milan, searching now for that number.

Attached Files:

13. For what it's worth, the 1107674 did show up in the same listing for the 265 with auto trans. Haven't found any mention of the 1107643 though. At least with these assembly numbers maybe somebody has an old Delco master catalog that breaks down the component parts of these production starter assemblies. Might get you some numbers for just the drive housing or tell you how many mounting bolts they used.

InkedScreenshot_2019-05-13 1957-Chevrolet-Truck pdf(1)_LI.jpg

14. junior 1957

junior 1957

the difference is on the drive end, it is longer between the three bolt flange face and the the end of the drive end housing the armature is longer as is the drive housing I sold my Delco unused reman along with an not flywheel about a year ago, I can't recall the number, but will look for it...

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Did several in the 60s in tri 5 chevys used the stock power glide starter with a Hudson fluid coupling. and stock pick up bellhousing and flex plate

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Chevrolet Truck V-8 with Hydra-Matic trans does take a one of a kind starter motor. Basically, the starter nose is machined so the starter hangs down with the solenoid on the bottom (that's why fender-well headers were designed for Tri-Five Chevrolet Junior Stock Class Cars; with the solenoid on the bottom, there was no room for chassis outlet headers). There is a guy on E-Bay that sells Chevrolet Truck hydros and parts, and has starter motors; be prepared to PAY. They normally go for about $250.00 used! Might try blownolds here on the HAMB; he has an ad currently for what's left of his hydro collection. He may have one. Now, the flywheel used is a 168 tooth/14 inch diameter unit. I've always wondered if the bell-housing can be modified so a block mounted starter motor can be used. Maybe someone has done that? And of course, when I GAVE all my Hydro stuff away, the starter motor went with it all. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

belair likes this.
  17. Andy

Andy

I put a hydro in my 55 Nomad in 1967. All the parts were bought new from Chevy. It trans was a 55 Olds slant pan. The starter was converted with just the nose housing. I sure do not remember buying a whole starter. It turned the starter upside down. Solenoid was on the bottom. I have no idea why they did that or why it was needed.

18. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Well this aint good boys... With the help I found one from an ebay member, several pics of one to sell with correct numbers for... $450! Plus the shipping price, and needs a full rebuild. Money Order (I'm always worried of a scam and nervous ). I figure I'll be around $570 when its done, almost makes me want to pull the cover over the project and walk away for a while.

Tried to message Blownolds but got this"You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: Blownolds." - I'm not sure whats going on there?

19. F&J

F&J

his ad says he does not use PM's...he has his email listed on the latest ad from Saturday

20. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Sent a message to a bud that deals in old chevy truck stuff, will let you know what he says...

21. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Found his email! message sent - thank you!

22. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

My connection came up empty:(

23. when ya google the 1107643 number, a tractor/equipment application comes up
    starter.png

24. Andy

Andy

That does not match what I used. The solenoid was on the bottom.

25. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Thanks Anthony, I looked at one of those and the snout isn't as deep as pics I found. Andy Is right I had to do a double take the starter looks to hang upside down. Never thought an old small block starter would be this hard to find... learning new things.

Got a nice and quick reply from BlownOlds, , he couldn't give the starters away 4 years ago. sent them to scrap - search continues.

26. Hard to believe gm built a part for one application. Somewhere there had to be a forklift, tractor, tank that used it

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like I said earlier, there's guy on E-Bay with lots Hydro's and parts. Maybe look in Hemming's for truck parts/wrecking yards. I seem to remember blownolds telling me about 4 years ago, he had gotten rid of all his starters 4 years earlier, or eight years at that time. IF you can find a B & M adapter bellhousing, they have recess machined in where the starter motor goes, and they take the "regular" V-8 manual trans/cast iron Powerglide starter motor (a LOT easier to find). they use the same flywheel and other parts. Maybe look on the Hydro group here on the HAMB; someone there may be of some help. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

28. theboss20

theboss20

After rebuilding starters and generators for 27 years I can tell you there are a few units that are that are one application only and this Hydo unit is one of them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anthony myrick likes this.
  29. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Thanks Butch, I took your advice and it is the ebay guy who would sell the one with a big price tag (450. plus shipping, then needs rebuilding) Called multi state yards yards for weeks and a few old time alternator/starter shops... nothing. Usually the search is fun and hate to pay that much for a starter but may have to do it to get on the road. I did see a past auction for the B&M Adapter (it had sold) and it does look like its recessed for the more common starter, pic attached. I'll check out your other leads and see what I can find... thanks for the leads and advice, its getting me going.

Attached Files:

30. I bet gm fired the guy as soon as thay found out this part didn’t fit multi applications