Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stake body hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nastyrod, Jun 9, 2006.

1. nastyrod

nastyrod

anybody ever build a custom stakebody 60-66 chevy truck... yes i realize it's not exactly traditional but these trucks ARE posted on here, and it never hurts to ask...

I just wanted a different bed option...

2. nastyrod

nastyrod

just one... bumpety

3. did one years ago to use on runs to haul downed choppers ,(all 10 of us had em,it was a chopper/bobber club, no stockers allowed) he's right, BUMPY ride unloaded ,no pics, sorry for both of us, they were wild n good times

4. nastyrod

nastyrod

well i want it low and decromed/trimmed shaved and filled with whitewalls and a cool stake body design... reckon it'll have to be tubbed in the rear to keep it low enough...

5. rev383

rev383

I've seen quite a few and for the most part I think they look good. As a hot rodder and woodworker I say go for it. A stake bed is currently option #2 for the 38 I'm putting together. There will be oak or hickory on it some place....... Now you have me thinking about how to combine options #1 and #2.

Thx, Rev

6. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

I think if Norm Grabowski has used timber for poles on his truck, i think you should go for it, it should be neat, i would think... different, too... considering all the other stakeside trucks i see are street-rod style vehicles... yours should be cool!

troy.

7. nastyrod

nastyrod

Well I think I will... my only concern with the 65 chevy is the space behind the cab were the feame comes up. it kinda breaks the cool lines seeing frame in there...plus the trailing arms... hmmm

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

totaly doable just use a good eye for astetics and youll be set.
    as far as tubbing it to go lower im kinda lost. whats tucking a wider wheel underneath have to do with making it lower? if you just mean having wheel wells on the flatbed portion of the truck so you can have it low and not have to ahve the flatbed even with the bottom of the rear when do then i get it and yeah sounds good. just wanted to make sure i was hearing you correctly. thsoe trucks are great for getting stupid low.

i think having it work is a definat possiblity, just stay away from the red neck look and youll be set

tim

9. nastyrod

nastyrod

yeah i meant wheel wells on the flatty so that the wheel is "tucked" under it. almost giving it a "skirting" affect. If the flatbed is above the tire it just doesn't look low and mean like it should... IMO

10. Actually stake bedded rods were moderately popular in the later '60s. I don't recall any latemodel trucks makeing it into any of the rags but a few of the Ts and As made the trip.

Hell its a hauler right? A stake bead sure beats a rusted out bed by my way of thinkin'.

Make it smooth and be different.

11. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I think it is just the opposite.

Having the bed hit the cab just below the rear window exagerates the lowering. That is the way we are doing dad's 48 (not exactly apples to apples)

fyi........... the suspension is not going to be adjustable....its gonna be low all of the time.

12. nastyrod

nastyrod

i'd like to see some pics of your 48 then :)

13. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

A low stance would be kool, but i would find a proportionately correct (man that sounds nerdy...:D ) rake would kick absolute ass... i think it would give it a seriously mean look to it... then again, diong something different like low on all fours is how we get new styles... either way about it, keep us posted on your build-up, should be a slick hauler...

troy.

14. nastyrod

nastyrod

no doubt...

I'll keep ya posted... about to move into the new crib and new Bigger garage so that should help!!

thanks for all the comments

15. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

This was an early mock up (no engine?). It sits much lower now.

I'm supposed to work on it this weekend. I'll try and remember to take a fresh picture.

[​IMG]

16. gastruk

gastruk
    from minnesota

Dont forget the table legs and chain.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011