Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using Web Straps to Suspend Engine from Shop Crane & Leveler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Bennett, May 13, 2019.

1. Instead of using chains. I'm told web straps are best for getting an engine in/out of a car. Especially on a painted engine with chrome goodies and aluminum heads, thereby no damage is done to the bright-work.
    So,
    Where does one find-get these heavy duty cloth/web straps? Seat belt outfits? Comments appreciated.

FYI - flathead engine holding the suspension webbing at corner exhaust manifold bolts into block.

2. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Search google "certified lifting straps".... you'll find enough sources that if look at them all you'll go blind.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I bought a flathead one time from a guy who had it suspended with fan belts around it, from a chain hoist, wouldn't recommend it but they worked.

deathrowdave likes this.
  4. clem

clem

Personally, I would only use a reasonable size chain, but as most engines are only 200-300 kgs, I would think that good high rating web strap would suffice.
    Be interesting to see what others use.....

Flathead Dave likes this.

5. Thanks BBob. 360 results should do. Most of life we search for the right name or words to use in a search. I think 'certified' is the magic here.

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Chain here. If it was good enough for our family baby sitter to use on us when we were kids, it's good enough to lift motors.

gas & guns and Do it Over like this.
  7. Check with rental places or rigging contractors. Nylon lifting straps are very commonly used for lighter loads (say 5 tons or less, although I've seen them used on larger ones) and have a service life so they're replaced regularly. Most are rated at well over one ton, so even a somewhat worn one will easily handle a 5-600 lb motor. The trick will be finding some that aren't real long.

Inexpensive tow straps work well too, although they tend to have quite a bit of 'stretch' to them. Upside is most have hooks on each end.

8. spanners

spanners

I use chain with a bolt through into somewhere on the block, front and rear. The thought of a web sling slipping on an oily sump and the engine going arse-up whilst halfway out of the engine bay is something I'd rather avoid.

Chappy444 and clem like this.
  9. RMONTY

RMONTY

I bought a couple purple colored straps that from HF. They were cheap, and I have picked up everything from my 235 engine to a 4 door 52 Chevy body with them. They have held up fine.

10. F&J

F&J

If you had a big plumbing supply place there, you might be able to get some for free. They are a continuous loop and come on bundles of copper water pipe from the manufacturer to be able to be transported & unloaded. Most are 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" wide, They are safety labeled as rated at 3000lbs single loop, 6000 if doubled.

They don't slip, I've used mine for engines, and all sorts of things. On engines, run it under the front crank and under the back of oil pan in front of trans or flywheel. Then the sides of the strap keep the motor from flopping over to one side.

Beanscoot likes this.
  11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Auto swap meets usually have 2 or 3 vendors selling the same straps

12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

How many have done the seat belt lift at the junk yard?
    ,, they are strong and free, unless you try to take them with you

13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Hard to adjust straps to get the proper angle. In my opinion

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just like with chains it's all about the rigging, the straps are susceptible to getting small cuts that aren't always visible, all the certified straps will generally have red stranding in them to alert to cuts. I ran a toolroom and bought thousands of dollars a year worth of straps because guys wouldn't protect them from sharp edges. We had to stay one step ahead of OSHA so they got pitched pretty regularly, everybody had straps at home, never had to buy any.
    Just keep an eye on them and put a piece of thick cardboard between them and any areas that may cut them.

BrokeBastards and belair like this.
  15. I cut up a 100ft climbing rope into various lengths and made slings. Super strong - you could suspend a car from the 12mm stuff and it is made to take hard abrasion.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

dont cheap out on web straps they work well for lifting if you dont exceed their capacity we lift 500 lb steam shut off valves on top of the boiler at the plant with them and a chain fall ,

17. indyjps

indyjps

Ive used them, prefer chains, even if you put some padding in between chains and engine.
    All the lifting straps Ive seen. Dont think the individual actually purchased them, they all seem to be procured from a workplace or jobsite. DDDenny, thats probably why you had to buy so many.

Straps break down, get torn, get soaked with solvents and oil that weaken them. Chances of several 2 inch wide straps breaking during an engine lift are minimal. I still like chains.

clem likes this.
  18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use both. the Slings I use are from Utility Line work. They are older but in good condition. I inspect before using-Some are rated at 5K and above. Just looked-some rated at 12,800 lbs Spent 45 yrs in the overhead line trade-used them often doing alot of rigging.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The front office said "you inspect them, you pitch them, you replace them", I had no problem with that and they were happy to not pay OSHA fines.
    The dumpster divers had a field day.

indyjps, VANDENPLAS and olscrounger like this.
  20. Straps go places where chains can't. Chains with a spreader bar will clear all your shiny bits.
    Common sense can be used with both.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  21. noboD

noboD

MSC has them, so does McMaster-Carr, MUCH better then chains.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  22. I've used a yellow tow strap wrapped about three times around the engine and hung on the hoist...but it was an inline 6 amd pretty easy to balance right-side-up.

23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Chains all the way. If I'm worried about a newly painted engine I cut and slip a bike tire tube over it.

nochop likes this.
  24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The slightest cut one would would get us an OSHA citation, so our front office eventually decreed they be inspected weekly, and replaced monthly, ready or not. Most roughnecks have enough of them to pull a loaded coal car from a hundred feet away. Wilson Supply, NOW, McMaster Carr, any crane rigging supplier, there are tons of suppliers, Google will find one near you. Personally, I like my chains. I bolt them on, and remove stuff that will get damaged by them, valve covers being a favorite target of them. Way easier than running a sling under an engine in the car.

25. noboD

noboD

A cut exposes a red thread meaning they are junk. If it's red it's dead.

deathrowdave likes this.
  26. indyjps

indyjps

Is that on crane straps only? Ive seen a lot of flat yellow tow straps used a engine pullers, as 283John described. Ive done it. Prefer not to.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As far as I know the "certified" straps have some form of an indicator of a cut, may not always be red, not positive.
    Those generic "tow" straps will more than likely not be certified.

indyjps likes this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Westech Rigging Supply in either Eugene or Salem would be a good place for you to start. I've bought 1 1/2 " Nylon chokers from a local cable and sling vendor that are good for 1500#. Shouldn't cost you over $25 for a 6 footer. If you take care of them, use softeners on sharp edges, and never, never, never tie knots in them or slip one choker through the eye of the other one, they'll last a long time. Buy a couple of 1 1/2 ton shackles so you can rig it right.

29. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Took pictures off of a new one.
    008.jpg 009.jpg

deathrowdave, VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  30. noboD

noboD

Millwright for 20 years. All of ours showed red when cut, but I don't know everything. I doubt is Horrible Freight's show anything when cut.