Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration If Porsche raced a tractor at Bonneville...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 14, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

If Porsche raced a tractor at Bonneville...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

That thing is seriously cool.
    Is the one in your lead picture an earlier year model (free standing headlight)?

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

All Gas Streamliner Records at Bonneville are over 200 and reach over 300 miles per hour,,,,,
    Maybe a mile course will have a slower record,,,lol
    With the head light you might be able to call it a Street (Farm) Roadster,,,,,

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Needs a scraper /drag on the back to knock down the "potato chips"

5. alchemy

alchemy

Do you think Adolf and his cronies in Brazil after the war became coffee farmers, and called up Ferdinand for a better tractor?

Tman, tractorguy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. noboD

noboD

I've always loved American orchard tractors styling, but have never seen this before. It;s incredible. Thanks.

tractorguy and belair like this.
  7. fuzzface

fuzzface

If I saw the color middle picture first without any text, I would have guessed it was someones first attempt at a weiner mobile, should say cocktail weiner mobile. :)

Lamborgini started out as tractors before building cars

8. belair

belair

And I thought the Oliver orchard tractors were cool...

9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I wouldn't be the least bit interested. Your 911, though, that'd be an entirely different story.

10. stingbean

stingbean

11. greener200

greener200

^^^^^^^Now that's some Big an Littles !!!!!

mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  12. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Other than the enclosed front wheels, that thing reminds me of the Case DO I was forced to drive through the orange groves of the Ganahl Ranch when I was a child. It's even the same color. The part that surprised me (when I later learned what it was) was that Wico mag always fired it up after just a couple cranks of the hand starter.
    Pat G.

Baumi, Tman, tractorguy and 1 other person like this.
  13. primed34

primed34

I want one.

Deuces likes this.
  14. Just when I think I know everything....

15. tjm73

tjm73

There used to be a tractor museum in my home town. The Tired Iron Tractor Museum. They had some neat tractors. One of the coolest was a turbo charged prototype Porsche tractor. Porsche tired to buy it from the family a couple times. Wish I had a picture.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Full fendered and skirted tractors were called orchard tractors. But most of you already know that.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/regions-registers/registers/classic/porsche-tractor

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...a31121/affordable-air-cooled-porsche-tractor/

These are the only Porsche tractors I was aware and they didn't have boxer engines. Porsche tractors came in four (4) models: Junior with 14 hp, Standard with 25 hp, Super with 38 hp, and Master with 50 hp.

Porsche's tractor designs were, due to post war restrictions, produced in collaboration with German company Allgaier GmbH and the Austrian company Hofherr Schrantz with both companies used the Porsche engine design. These were known respectively as Allgaier – System Porsche and Hofherr Schrantz – System Porsche.

With its orgins in the early 1930s, the Porsche diesel engine design incorporates a unique air-cooled feature. By the early 1950s Porsche had designed 4 basic models, 1 cyl., 2 cyl., 3 cyl., and 4 cyl. versions, producing between 14 hp to 55 hp. All models have individual and interchangeable cylinders and heads. Always a company to explore new concepts, Porsche designed a 4-wheel drive tractor in 1946. Sadly, although this was ahead of its competitors, it was never put into production,.

The above model was built by Mannesmann in Germany with an engine based on Ferdinand Porsche's design. Mannesmann continued building Porsche tractors until 1963, producing 125,000 in total.

In 2018 Porsche AG announced that it was venturing into an eco-friendly [Electric] model based on that streamlined Brazilan model 20190515_184609.jpeg 20190515_185232.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T355Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    302GMC and Hnstray like this.
  18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's the 2013 liquidation auction, I browsed catalogue / inventory however I couldn't see it anywhere. Dr. Google was also unsuccessful.
    https://www.aumannauctions.com/project/photos/12247/
    Here's some more photos but no Porsche. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/sets/72157622148527182/

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  20. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Hey Jive Bomber,

I wish I had known you were there...I was too. In fact, you can see me in your first Orange tractor photo, across the street, straight up from the rear left wheel of the Yellow 912E...wearing a baseball shirt and my black baseball cap on backwards.

It was quite an honor to have my 911 there. 350 total cars invited and over 1000 denied. Multiple $10M+ Porsches...many of them pre-1965 race cars. Agree...the Orange tractor was the coolest thing I saw. To call it a car show is a misnomer...it was a museum. The best I have ever attended.

Anyway, small world!

Tman and Jive-Bomber like this.
  21. Sorta reminds me of a kinder, more gentle version of a Dirk Valentine vehicle (for those who know the game :D):

[​IMG]

22. tjm73

tjm73

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is is an interesting tractor. Custom built for a purpose. You see some modified body work on some older vineyard, orchard and hop yard tractors around here once in a while but nothing like that.

24. Porschyard

Porschyard

Hi tjm, i saw your post about a prototype turbocharged porsche tractor and got all excited, could it it really be ?
    Well i am sorry to tell you your memory is failing in your old age. It took a little time (about an hour) and i found out from Dean who is Bump Hamiltons Son in law that there was NOT a turbo on the porsche diesel and for that matter there was not any tractors ever that had a turbo in Bumps collection.

Dean was there from just about beginning to end and actually worked on and ran most all the tractors there.
    He specifically told me about driving the one cyl. JR. 4 miles each way from shop to museum so his memories of the collection are still pretty good. Kinda dissapointed that the Porsche Unicorn did not turn out to be real.
    Oh well keep watching because sooner than later one is going to show up.

Porschyard

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. tjm73

tjm73

Well.....I'm not that old, but my memory could definitely be failing me. LOL!!! Was a neat little little museum.

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Glad I read the whole blogpost. I knew Porsches can be fast but I didn't think their tractors were so fast they were Aerodynamic! Protect the timid little coffee beans and trees, who would have thought...

27. Richardse

Richardse

These are very solid cars. I like how tractors used to be made, but now most are used for industry and it is very difficult to find a good manufacturer, and even so that the price is affordable. I chose and saved money for my own for about 3 years, I needed a regular tractor for my agriculture. How annoying it was to spend a lot of time after the purchase in search of good equipment for tractors. My tractor mowers constantly broke down, and one did not fit at all and had to be returned. Fortunately, I found normal guys https://www.heming-engineering.co.uk/tractors-and-machinery/rotary-and-flail-mowers who offered to help me with the choice, advised me, and gave a guarantee for tractor mowers for the next 3 years.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  28. You're certainly not the first to dream of speed for a tractor in Orchard sheet metal. There is a fantastic print of a John Deere AOS (A Orchard Streamlined) racing around the track. I used to have a copy of it, but pretty sure it got "lost"... and sadly I can't find a photo of it online.

tractorguy likes this.
  29. farm liner? lets petition a new class! ;)

tractorguy likes this.
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

As long as we're on the subject of hot rod tractors check out my friend Marv Baumann's - all custom built by him.
    Flathead V8, SB Ford, SB Chevy, SB Mopar, 4-transmissions mated, as well as O/T Honda Valkyrie, jet engine, etc., etc.
    Agricultural wizardry

http://marvinbaumann.com/fordflathead.html

mgtstumpy likes this.