Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Why would someone take a old driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You guys talkin bout "SHAFT" ?

I hear he"s a BAD %$#@%$%

2. that is me also, and I react like bull dog........oh here it is.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Deuces, j3harleys and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have no use for a low life that steals . I will give anyone anything I’m not using , for the asking . The only thing I can say is if I would catch the person stealing your drive shaft , it would be very hard to explain at the hospital why he was lookin like a Popsicle with it stuck up his AZZ . I worked 35 years for a utility company , manhole lids in the street became fair game to steal , the damn things probably weight 250 lb. . You pull 15 of them open to work in a day and you were a whipped pup at quitin time . Copper wire was always being cut or shot down to scrap , I have seen 2 people burnt beyond determining they were human beings from getting across the phases of electric while trying to steal copper cable . Then there are people with 25 years of service in the company , terminated for buying a stripping machine to strip insulation from copper wire they were ordering out from the store room to steal . WTH is it ? A sickness or stupid ? Only thing I know for sure is you can’t fix stupid , God will sooner or later .

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Scrap is by weight. Took the heavy thing. Didn’t take the wheels ‘cause hands were full carrying the driveshaft.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, irishsteve and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. Had the complete front cross member rebuilt all new out of my 50 fleet line stolen out of my driveway !

My work van broken into 2-3 times, no tools stolen but the change in the ash try is gone.

We can leave anything made of steel outside at work or it’s gone, they have even stolen the batteries out of our tilt and load and all the other trucks on the street.

Skids can’t be left outside as they are stolen also.

Asked a cop about breaking into my van for chump change ( maybe 5-10dollars in change) and not want the tools in back.
    He told me it’s meth / crack heads. What he said was, your tools “ require work” to unload and turn into cash.
    Where he brakes into 3-4 cars gets 15-20 bucks in cash and there is his fix for the night , easy peasy.
    Sucks man really sucks.

My brother works for a company that sets up trade shows and he just came back from manhattan n.y and he was telling me all the ac units on the roof are caged and barb wired
    All basements and steam rooms are locked up tighter then Fort Knox all because of tweakers and stealing steel for scrap.

Like Tuco said “ son of a 1000 fathers all bastards like you!” Hate thieves
    50B71F41-13A5-4E8F-88EB-D335540C8DAE.jpeg

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One of my customers in Nashville had their units destroyed for the copper and aluminum one weekend. Cut a chain link fence to get to them, then hacked them apart in sight of a busy street!

The dude probably smoked it and thought he had some new kind of dope!

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not as big a problem out here in the land of hi-tech. Out here they just steal your identity.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was at a long time friend's scrap yard last year where I buy far more than I sell as he usually saves the nice pieces from local manufacturing plants and sells them by the pound. A couple of local "bicycle boys" came in with a hand full of stripped copper wire. Probably less than 2 pounds between them if that and he wouldn't buy it. They asked why and I popped off "you don't have a license plate" He follows right up with "yep, if you aren't in a car or truck with a license plate I won't buy anything from you because along with your name I write down the license number of the vehicle. They probably had to peddle 3 miles to the other scrap yard in hope they could sell it.
    On the drive shaft, I'd say either some clown thought he could use it or he knew someone who could.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scrap is going so cheap here right now that you can't find anyone to haul it off if you post an add giving it away. I cut up a double wide trailer house frame into 10 ft lengths and hauled it in and didn't pay for the gas for the torch If the guy who owned it hadn't given me 20 bucks on the gas for the torch I would have lost even more money. The second load if it is sitting out here in the yard and I'll probably use most of it up a piece at a time over time.

Deuces, lumpy 63 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

He was probably high at the time and thought he was going cut though it, after all he probably just spent the last three days cleaning his bathroom with a toohbrush.

11. What's the penalty if a tweaker gets electrocuted? Or do you get a free 6-pack? Hmm.... large steel object left outside sitting in a driveway (with closed gates ) sitting on some bits of dry wood + power lead, hidden in the grass + hidden CCTV. Makes for some fun viewing.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whaaaa???...LOL!!! :D

Wait... :confused:...o_O...:eek:.....................:(

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I hate thieve's and I don't have warm fuzzies for drug addicts...Maybe if our schools still taught vocational skills we would have more skilled labor...There is a serious lack of skilled labor nowadays:(

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This was local a few years ago. The meth heads had gotten hold of an orange traffic barrel, and cut a man sized access hole into the side of it. Then they used it to tear out wire from the street lights using the barrel for cover. They did eventually get caught, but not before doing a lot of damage. Samoa Drag Strip in California was getting the track ready for the season a few years back, and discovered someone had stolen all the timing equipment wiring from the conduit it was in. Club that ran the track appealed to the public to help with replacement costs; tracks run on a shoestring, and that really hurt them. When I was still working in Radiology, I'd save all the lead containers from Nuclear Medicine, and all the dead batteries from the portable X-Ray machines. I'd take them in for recycling, and give the money to my daughter. There would be Radiation warning labels on the containers, and the recycle workers were "concerned", but they never refused to take them, and they were't even pure lead, an alloy. Hit the recycle outfits first, and the meth heads won't have a market for their thievery. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces and lumpy 63 like this.
  15. mark latham

mark latham

About 15 years ago I lived in Gautier, MS and broke the drive shaft in my OT, DD, K-5 Blazer. None of the junkyards in the area had a drive shaft but I did find one out of a long bed pick up. The new shaft was necked down at the ends so I couldn't just cut a yoke free, shorten the shaft, and weld the yoke in, I had to take something like 23 inches out of the center of the shaft. I clamped it up in a piece of 3 inch angle iron, stick welded it with 7018 and put it in the truck. It worked fine, I was proud of my worked, drove it like that for a while. Then Katrina came along and while my house and cars survived with just some wind damage a Katrina village sprang up just up the road from my house. I was stationed on a ship out of Pascagoula at the time and got underway for a couple of months, my wife never touched the truck while I was gone. When I got home I went to go start the truck and make sure it was going to get me to work, it started just fine, put it in gear and nothing. Looked underneath and some son of a bitch had stolen my homemade, never been balanced drive shaft. This time I lucked out and found a perfect fit in the first junk yard I checked but I hope my weld eventually failed, broke in half, and catapulted the thief's truck down I 10 at 80 mph.

16. rtp

rtp

Can't do that !!! Don't you know it is illegal to hunt on a baited field.

Sent from my NX16A8116KP using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DRIVER SHAFTED! (cont. on pg.3)

HOTRODPRIMER, seb fontana and Deuces like this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Man, they can be bad here. There are so many twacked out thieves it is ridiclous. I am generally a friendly person, but I have learned to have absolutely nothing to do with them. With cell phones, they report back to their friends if they see you away from your house. I caught one of them stealing the keys from my parts trucks here a while back. WTF? Had another one snag the propane tank out of my barbecue. Another one hauled ass on the wife's bicycle, but he didn't hide it far enough behind his house. They also cut the catalytic convertors off of a few old cars that my neighbor and I had. I pulled into the driveway one night, and one of them laid down in a low spot in the yard, and acted like she coudn't hear me yelling at her. I actually had to drive right up to, and almost over her before she got up and ran away, then she told my wife that I was crazy, no way she did that. Dethamphetamine brain. Back home they took my dad's Korea VFW marker from his grave, along with a bunch of other ones, yes right off of headstones also, and there was a huge rash of transformer thefts. I also have had bags of cat crap disappear after cleaning the litterbox, it turned out to be the neighbors dog carrying them away. As far as the driveshaft goes, maybe they hoped it was aluminum, or they got interrupted before they could get back for the wheels. Too lazy to work, but not too lazy to steal.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  19. RDR

RDR

I'm with blowby on this one....or it was to be used as a giant pry tool to break in somewhere...:mad:

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Similar deal in NYC some 20 years ago. There was a garbage strike on, and the garbage for pickup was't being picked up. I read in the paper that one guy got creative; he'd wrap his garbage from the previous day real nice, then leave it on the seat of his unlocked car. Every day, after finishing his workday, he'd go out to his car, and find someone had stolen his garbage. Pretty creative guy! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

21. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Let the tweaker have that stuff, if there is radiation they will get sick and die you won't.

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

Great movie!!!!..... :)

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. blackanblue

blackanblue

A few years ago wife and I where vacationing in Florida gulf coast we stopped at I think macdonalds for a quick bite. Came out to the truck and seen 4 big boxes full of prepackaged bags of salads, maybe 50 60 pounds. Guessing someone may have grabbed them from back door of the restaurant, but why my truck.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. BJR

BJR

Years ago before recycling, my dad would bust up all of the glass bottles and put them in a cardboard box, tie up the box with string, and put the box in the garbage. He was carrying the box out to the garbage can in the alley, when he heard the house phone ring. He set the box on the trunk of his car and ran back into the house to answer the phone. When he came back the box was gone. Some low life got a very heavy box of broken glass.:p

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. File that under “Did society a Favor”

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

classiccarjack and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.