Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No one mentioned it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 13, 2019.

1. I received my Rodder's Journal at Brenda's shop last week and with it being Mothers Day weekend we were busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest and I just got around to opening it up and doing the initial scan and low and behold on the last page is the Confused Pickup in the Coker ad.

No one had mentioned it and I doubt very seriously Dave has seen it, it does look good.

I don't have access to a scanner so a crappy phone photo is the best I can offer. HRP

[​IMG]

This photo of the truck is in Dave's driveway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Danny, I've seen many pictures of the truck. How did it get the name "Confused Pickup"?

3. Bill, Dave helped me when we were building my Deuce pickup and he had previously built a 34 truck but liked the 32's better, so he set out to find a cab.

He had a 32 Frame behind his shop after selling the 5 window body to a guy in Sweden so he had a starting point.

After a few months he located a good 34 cab which the basic dimensions are the same, the back of the cab has a extra larger bead above the two standard belt lines and the firewall is different, so as the truck was coming together it got to be a joke that his 34 wanted to be a 32 and every thing else is, I just started calling it a confused pickup. :D HRP

ladyhrp, VANDENPLAS, 19Eddy30 and 5 others like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

That's a Nice Truck!

OLSKOOL57, ladyhrp, Deuces and 3 others like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You would of thought Dave would have mentioned it to you. Coker would have asked permission of him.

ladyhrp, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sort of a feather in his cap to keep it quiet.

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

I saw that but wasn't sure it was your buddy's truck. One of my all time favorites.

8. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Was this the truck I caught a glimpse of in Knoxville ? Damn nice truck.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IMHO, one of the best 32-34 Ford trucks ever done. It's got a terrific 60's vibe about it.

10. The gold finish on that truck looks more like it was plated rather than painted on! :cool:

ladyhrp, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  11. I'm sure when Tommy photographed it last year Dave signed of for them to use the photo but like me when they used the photo of my pickup on the cover of their 2011 catalog I didn't know anything about it until a member here informed me.

Tommy had take the photo's a year earlier.

[​IMG]

Sadly, I don't see where they credited Dave as the owner. HRP

12. On a side note......Danny, when are you going to post up some photos of your new interior?

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The mere sight of either truck on the catalog or in the print ad is sure to sell more than a few sets of tires.
    At a minimum, Coker should make mention of the owner. If they were really on with the Public Relations game, they'd send the owner a set of tires.:D

14. When they usd the photo of my truck on the cover of the 2011 Coker catalog they credited me on the inside, having never had anything I own in print I was pretty excited, in 2017 EMS used the rear shot of the Ranch Wagon on their catalog, I was also stoked with that.

When a professional photographer shoots your car you sign a waver to use the photo's as they see fit, noting promised. HRP

ladyhrp, Deuces and 3W JOHN like this.
  15. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

nice as they come.I have seen this truck in person and it is as they get.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    ladyhrp, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  16. Yes sir. HRP

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That is just so cool you have your truck , HRP, a bit of history with Coker and a cool story to tell for years. That's one of your feathers in your cap for sure. I see what you mean about no promises but you hope that they use the pics.

18. Don, I didn't do a stand alone thread on the interior but if you go HERE you can see what it looks like. HRP

19. Beautiful truck...gold paint and whitewalls gives it a real classy look IMHO..

20. I talked to Dave about a hour ago and he didn't know anything about the truck being in the magazine, Brenda went to Books-a-million and they don't have this issue in yet.

I sent him the photo I posted here, he is stoked. HRP

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  21. brady1929

brady1929

Beautiful truck and I love the color.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite honestly the photographer owns the photo and the car owner has no say about it being used for an add or anything else. If the truck had been specifically requested for the add things might be a bit different but usually those are done with a photographer's stock photos.
    If there was a person in the photo where you could clearly see their face that person might have to sign a release.

That is an absolutely timeless truck that looks fantastic.

ladyhrp, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Dave told me tonight that Tommy took the photo last year at Knoxville and he signed a release,

Tommy who is a member here does freelance work for Coker, he had me sign a release also. HRP

24. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, didn't you guys build another 32 truck?

ladyhrp and Deuces like this.
  25. We did, we built my '32 first.

[​IMG]

Then Steve's '32

[​IMG]

Then Dave's confused truck. HRP

Ron Funkhouser, ladyhrp and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I don't think I have seen that truck but is this the steve that has the red 1952 Ford truck?

ladyhrp likes this.
  27. Yes sir. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  28. AaronEFW

AaronEFW
    from Fort Wayne

LOVE this truck.

I happened across pictures of it on the interweb this week. Absolutely prefect!

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Thank you, btw, it could be yours. :D HRP

ladyhrp likes this.