Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WOW an Update (#2) My '37 Chev truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Ahh, progress!! Looking great Ian! If you go ahead with the wheel covers it might be neat to paint the centre blue to match some of the interior as you mentioned.. If you do that you might consider painting the wheel behind it to match which would have the centre "dot" look a little less isolated. Wot a nifty pick-up!

Dave

brad2v, K13 and Stogy like this.
  2. Looks titties!

K13, Stogy and rodncustomdreams like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@K13 with regards to the cap centers have you ever thought of a vintage bullet or center from another vintage cap. Perhaps even a custom turned piece of aluminum in your best non billet config. Or a piece of clear tinted polished lexan turned into a period custom shape.

Those chrome reverse look pretty awesome too just as they are.

Great things coming together your way that's for sure.

K13 and rodncustomdreams like this.
  4. I think body color centers would be really sharp.
    The other thing that crossed my mind was white. It would tie in with the whitewalls, running boards, interior, etc.

cretin, brad2v, K13 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions.
    @Stogy bullets feel later '50's to me so really outside the time frame I am aiming for. I had thought about an emblem (Rik Hoving suggested it) but the center of these caps is a concave dish so not sure how well that would work or any other type of insert material.
    @Sancho white had crossed my mind as well. I will have to do up a few different variations and see which works best. Probably best that I figure out the mounting part first though I guess.:oops:

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nowadays you can take a profile of the depression and machine inserts and even machine a design into that insert and mount with machine screws through the back or maybe adhesive. If your pickup was a GMC they had a pretty cool logo at the time but you have a pretty good handle on the past...the Jet age was big back then or some Buck Rodgers Crest you could carry that onto a key chain and gas cap...and...and...that's a Custom thing after all...

Samples...

Vintage-1954-54-Packard-Jet-Rocket-Airplane-Hood.jpg

1950s-art-deco-modernist-english_1_d090711919f4d1f5daa2e67f969e6141.jpg

What is with the open frame area below the box and above the running board. One side seems integrated the other not...is that an access for something...just curious.​

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    rodncustomdreams likes this.
  7. I was having issues getting those pieces to fit and they need to be repainted so the drives side just happened to still be sitting there when I put the fenders on while I had removed the passenger side. Both side will be filled when done.

rodncustomdreams and Stogy like this.
  8. Well I fought with this all week trying to get it to start finally some success this morning. Didn’t run for long as it is cold and windy out so didn’t want to open the garage or asphyxiate my wife and I and the timing is way off but it ran briefly. I want to get it started and timed before I put the front fenders on so this is a bit step towards that.

9. brad2v

brad2v

Yay! That's a big step

K13, Stogy and rodncustomdreams like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice way to end the year...firing on all cylinders...a big milestone among many others you have already buttoned up. Congratulations, may the New Year bring the Plates and Power to the pavement...;)

Happy New Year @K13

11. Well it has been a while. Had a brutally cold winter here this year so I have been working on some smaller stuff here and there because, as mentioned, the next thing I wanted to do was get the engine fully running and tuned and I couldn't do that with the garage closed. I finally got a chance to get the truck started again and actually running for more than 30 seconds this weekend which was great until I looked underneath and saw this.
    20190512_135958.jpg
    I am guessing/assuming it's the rear main seal leaking so now I am not sure how to proceed. I have read that it can be replaced with the engine still in the truck so I don't know if I should keep moving forward putting the front end together or if I should try and do the seal first in case I have to pull the motor. I am not really in the mood or set up to try replacing it now but it may be the best course of action.

chryslerfan55 and brad2v like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have numerous leaks and the Hotrod was driven 3 years prior to my acquiring it. I find that sitting for long periods (overwinter) oils seem to leak more as stuff dries out. The other thing is aftermarket covers may be contributing due to poor casting bringing poor sealing...I have tried new gaskets but that didn't seem to correct it...

If you have built yours from ground up or had the engine built you have a better idea I suspect...Good luck on sorting that out...at this point in time I just add new cardboard to the floor in the garage...and quality of seals and the material they are made of may be part of it...Either way I still have to take another look.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fix the leak and replace the seal with the best available before you go any farther.you will be kicking yourself otherwise.two steps forward I step back is a pain in the ass but...good luck with the build its turning out great

chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. Problem is it will be about 20 steps back for me as the only way I can do it at home is to pull the engine as I have no means to get it high enough to work under it without buying a bunch of equipment to lift it up.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow that’s too bad. That had to be an oh shit moment.
    Hope the repair goes well.
    Maybe you can find someone with a hoist you can use.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’m never gonna be able to pick out your avatar now.....

Looks awesome!

chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

good luck with the search for a engine hoist

18. Yeah it wasn't the best. They are known to leak from the rear seal so a small leak was not unexpected but this was a bit more than I was hoping for obviously.
    Not sure I know anyone and there is so much stuff that is kind of half done that would need to be finished to safely have it towed somewhere that it would be a pain and then a lot of it would have to be undone again to finish stuff off so I am not sure.
    I am half contemplating picking up a set of these at Costco but not sure I want to drop $1600 to fix a seal and not sure how much I would use them afterwards.
    https://www.costco.ca/QuickJack-BL-...ble-Car-Lifting-System.product.100410530.html
    I have an engine hoist. I need a car hoist as I hope I can fix the seal without taking the engine out (lots of info online about doing it) as that will set me back a ton to have to pull it out.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Man that really sucks , that's a really nice ride you have . Cant you just block up under the wheels to get enough height to work on it ?

nunattax and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think you should probably think about something like I have to put my RPU on.

They’re 12” high and working underneath is relatively easy.

You could build some from stacked 2x6 or 2x4 lumber.
    Might work?
    Ideas here and on other threads on wheel support stands.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/wheel-stands-for-lifting-and-supporting-a-car.1003679/

A lot cheaper than the fancy Costco option.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Stogy, brad2v, nunattax and 1 other person like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Stogy likes this.
  22. 64_Vette

64_Vette
    from alabama

Great Build / very informative thread. Can you provide any information/detailed photos of your hidden door hinges? Are they something you fabricated or are they an aftermarket product?

Stogy likes this.
  23. Thanks! The hinges are home made (another of my Dad's creations). I am on the road for work right now but I will see what I can come up with when I get back home and post them.

Stogy and Sancho like this.
  24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Ian, that is looking so AMAZING!

25. Thanks Mark! I really appreciate it.

26. Well been slamming along this week trying to get it ready for a show next week and getting close.
    20190728_163345 (1).jpg
    20190802_171427.jpg

AV8R, LAROKE, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...the checkered flag is not very far away...looks great @K13...I take it you have resolved the seal situation?...

28. brad2v

brad2v

Wow, fantastic. Go man go!

29. This and Blueones build are two of my favorite builds happening right now, I will be down there this weekend but have to be in Red deer on the tenth, so will miss the show. Bummer

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Blue One likes this.
  30. Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.
    Well I didn’t make the show. I had some wiring issues come up and after fighting with them for days I decided to just rewire the whole truck as it was turning into a hodge podge of add ons. That set me back a couple of days so in the end it just wasn’t meant to be. It wouldn’t have been completely done anyways so I figure I will take my time and just finish everything all at once (and spend some time with my family who I have been neglecting the last 2 weeks). Also when I went to put the headlights on I found out that the two trim rings I ordered from Chevs of the 40’s years ago don’t match so just another headache to add to the list. :mad: Here is where I am at.
    20190809_183042.jpg

Bertolasi, Sancho, LAROKE and 4 others like this.