Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Dick Flint Pictorial

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks Malcolm........

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

any signs of who the buyer was?

3. mgermca

mgermca

4. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I've wondered this too. In a Hot Rod Magazine classifieds ad, Dick lists his address at the time he owned the roadster as 6629 Woodlake, Canoga Park, CA which is now West Hills. I searched Google Maps for that address, and Woodlake is a wide 4-lane street, and one of the few streets in that area that don't have driveways in the front of the houses. Instead the garages are accessed by back alleys. In the photo on the cover of Hot Rod, the street is the same way. I gotta think Dick hopped in his roadster and drove down (or up) the street to shoot that scene at an intersection nearby. Looks to be somewhere on Woodlake, probably between Vanowen & Victory. I've used the Google Maps 'street view' to try to locate exactly where, but can't. A lot has changed in 60 years.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well,
    Just got this news, the Dick Flint's 2nd owner (Duane Kofoed) and long time L.A. Roadster member who was one last guys that drove a 39 boxed Deuce Roadster in that club (Originally Carl Shrode's Happy Days Green Roadster when it wore Bobbed fenders) passed away I believe Friday.
    This is sad in many ways as Duane & Phylis used to make the trek out the the Steer Burger Arcadia every Saturday years back to have breakfast with fellow L.A. Roadster members Ted & Lois McMullen, Paul Winson, myself My buddy Oscar and another long time friend of his with a blue 29 Roadster (Walt?)
    Did a search to see if anything was posted. Bummer as we're losing these Hot Rod Pals at an alarmingly high rate....... IMG_1440.PNG

6. Great proportions.:cool:

7. There's a pic of Kofoed that is in my memory of him standing next to the car at one of the first LARS at the Hollywood Bowl. The photographer was up on an embankment shooting down from above. IIRC Kofoed is waving. Maybe someone on here has that pic.

After our move here to Tx I found a few more old pics I had. Ryan already had these posted in the article, but these are scans from actual prints rather than a mag; flint front end a.jpg flint interior 01aa.jpg flint dash a.jpg

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, sadly Duane did die last week, he had been in Hospice for quite a while, all of us LAR members were notified, & services will be private.

9. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Duane Kofoed who owned this car for many years past away last Friday.
    Many great times with my best friend and some riding shot gun in this car.
    This car was almost totally quiet at 120- just the tires on the road.
    RIP Duane

10. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Steve, Sad time for sure. Had some great times with him as well.
    May see you down the road sometime. Bob

11. Bob McCaffrey

Bob McCaffrey

Does anyone have any photos of the car when Duane owned it? I currently own all of the pictures when it was picked up, as well a lots of the early stuff. What I really need is some photos of the inside of the roadster after they cut the frame down at the doors and it had a Bell ("????") wheel. What was the original steering box.....Schroader? Also I was told that Duane had an Olds rear end in it. Does anyone know which year (57 J2?????). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks.

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

D06A4D6F-C14A-4560-ABCB-83E1547672EA.jpeg 3E689F90-1652-4064-945C-2E4987A529FF.jpeg Pismo 1962 Roadster Roundup Time
    Hope these help.
    Are you doing build or a book?

13. Bob McCaffrey

Bob McCaffrey

Thank you!!!!! Never would I have suspected whitewalls!!!!!!! I wonder if he had the 327 bored to 352 in it then?

kidcampbell71 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  14. Bob McCaffrey

Bob McCaffrey

I own ALL OF THE ORIGINAL PARTS that got replaced for Pebble Beach including the frame, hood(s), belly pans, windshield stanchions, chrome pieces that were topically applied to the auburn dash, hairpins, red fenders, license plate, etc. I would never be so presumptuous as to build the Flint Roadster, nor could I relate to it as well as I do the Kofed Version, I am trying to get as many parts as possible to pile that car together.

kidcampbell71, Cyclone Kevin and fauj like this.
  15. Bob McCaffrey

Bob McCaffrey

I work for Don Orosco who coordinated his crew in the restoration of the Flint Roadster for the win at Pebble Beach. He has been incredibly supportive in what I'm trying to do here, to the point of buying me a set of Ascot Blocks for the back...what a surprise. He has also allowed me to copy all of the photos and info in his personal library.

16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Now would be the time to do the Kofoed version, as Duane tore the streets of Burbank up in that car ;).
    I recall seeing pics of it in Dry Lakes guise running with Tom McMullen’s 32 as well. That was a time when The L.A. Roadster members were younger and exercised their roadsters often, That’s what Dick Scritchfield had in mind meeting like minded individuals who had the same interests.
    I have no idea of your current age, but the L.A.Roadsters would benefit by seeing those JFS 004 plates once again on a very kool roadster.
    Build It!!!!!!! ;).

Hamtown Al and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Bob McCaffrey

Bob McCaffrey

I heard a lot of stories from Alf who worked for Scritch later on. He built my 32 roadster. I just think that I would like to get the rough pieces back together for a very not-so-perfect example of what was going on in all of those black-n-white pictures.

18. Bob McCaffrey

Bob McCaffrey

Duane signing the original hood for me prior to his passing...........

Attached Files:

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

What a great pic, Before this moment he probably last handled that hood in 1989-around the time he sold it. That guy was a Hot Rodder through & through. I recall a time he and his pal Wally were swapping out his 32 Roadsters rear spring on the salt @ Bonneville. That’s a Hard Core Roadster Driver.