Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is my block junk? Freeze crack.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMR&C, May 12, 2019.

1. We ran a 350 with almost the same crack, in a 55 for a while. Cleaned the crack, slight V, and some JB Weld. Ran it like that for some time. Your results may vary.

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Ni - rod then marine - Tex epoxy , did a friends 350 boat engine in 1981 , been fine since

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  3. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JB Weld is your friend, its cheap and easy. I've used it for years and never had a bad result.

Bandit Billy and Deuces like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a lot of power plants and other manufacturing facilities that will sware the Belzona products can mot be matched...

Deuces likes this.
  5. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Look online for a company called Lock and Stitch in Turlock CA...They repaired my hemi block...Don't try welding it till you talk to them if you want it fixed but being a Chevy it might be cheaper to get another block...

Deuces likes this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A business around the corner when I was an apprentice did this all the time, it always had engine blocks and other casting in the shop and had a pretty regular turnover. When done a quick machine of flat surface(s) and then a rough-over pneumatic scaler on the casting and you wouldn't even know that it had been repaired.

Deuces likes this.
  7. j3harleys

j3harleys

I had a crack very similar in a 409 block many years ago, patched it with JB weld. I no longer have the car but its still around. I talk to the guy that bought it from me occasionally, its still holding.

Deuces likes this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wonder how much it costs to have that Lock N Stitch procedure done?

Deuces likes this.
  9. It can be fixed in a number of ways....but why? The time you spend to have it repaired is a crap shoot. I have welded ( cast iron and aluminum) blocks and heads, transmission cases and exhaust manifolds. But take a close look at the block in the second image and you will see that the casting is bulging outward. This will flex every time the engine is heated up and can recrack.
    MILLIONS of SBC blocks have been produced since 1954, unless it is a MD or DZ block, replace it.

j3harleys and Deuces like this.
  10. Just a thought...if the coolant/ice slurry had enough pressure to push the outside of the block casting far enough to crack it...it was also applying the same pressure to the coolant sides of your cylinders probably also creating distortion that could affect ring seal.

I would run it while searching for a replacement standard bore block, bore it .030 and use your internals. You will be into it for the cost of a gasket set, used block and a bit of machine work. Good luck.

Deuces likes this.
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

Welcome to the 350 crack club. I bought what was thought to be a good block. Rebuilder found the very same crack. Engine two I got from the builder. Put it in ran it a summer then in the spring following year found another crack at the same spot. Builder found me another 350 crack free and rebuilt it. Fingers crossed for this one! :)

Deuces likes this.
  12. Must be a weak spot in the casting on these blocks? Wondering if a minor crack was already there and this past winters freeze just opened it up?

Deuces likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

had a crack like that one decades ago in a small block, drilled a hole of either end, v'd out the crack a bit and filled it with jb weld. Sold the car years later still holding.

RMR&C and Deuces like this.
  14. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I think you are correct. Weak spot in casting. I do not think your block froze, it just happened to start leaking now. Who knows how long ago the crack started.

JB weld, weld it, whatever you choose.

RMR&C and Deuces like this.
  15. Terrible80

Terrible80

Deuces likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that is the best plan. A good block sealer and drive it while you hunt down a replacement block that you can have pretty well prepped before you pull the engine. That way if you do tear into it it won't be down for a long time. The block could be bored and ready for the final honing to fit the pistons before you pulled the engine saving quite a bit of wait time.

17. Deuces

Deuces

You also gotta buy a new set of rings for your pistons...

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  18. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have spent a large part of my work life repairing boilers and pressure vessels where we would chase the cracks, grind them out & weld them back up. Pretty straight forward process in mild steel.
    If it was mine & I thought it was the only crack. Lower the antifreeze well below the crack & take a Dremel or die grinder with a small burr to groove it to give a good area to bond the JB weld in. Clean it well with acetone then pack it in and over the area with JB weld. Give it a couple days & then do a wet pressure test to see that it is holding and that there are no other leaks.
    I worked in large maintenance shutdown events in an Alberta oil sand refinery where our team was responsible for the inspection, maintenance and repairs on large heat exchangers. The engineers specified Belzona for repairing the heads and tube sheets to extend the life of the equipment. Belzona works but my experience is that it is expensive. It was bought it in large volumes with the deep pockets of major oil company. It might be more reasonable if it can be purchased in a small unit. JB Weld has been around & developed a good reputation. About 20 years ago we had an oil cooled circuit breaker that leaked on start up & the electrical engineers would not allow a weld for repairs. They asked me how to fix the leaking weld. I suggested center punching the pinhole closed, clean with acetone, rough up the area, clean again then place a fillet JB weld. That worked and is still there. The tech rep from GE showed up a week later & the electrical engineer asked how he would have repaired the leak. The GE rep told him that he would have done the same. An hours work & JB Weld is a reasonable cost to see if the engine is going to live.

F&J and RMONTY like this.
  19. F&J

F&J

Agree, I can't see the parts costs and massive LABOR hours to replace the bare block on something this simple. Like the thing would leave you stranded on a long trip if it did fail? Hell no, just loosen the radiator cap so it's not under pressure and drive it home. (if it ever leaks again)

RMR&C and Algoma56 like this.
  20. How much heat can JB weld take? The rams horn manifold collector sits about a 1/2" away from the crack.....

21. patterg2003

patterg2003

RMR&C likes this.
  22. Big trucks get cracks pinned all the time ck with truck drivers/truck stop on who to call, often they can be done in the vehicle.