Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping a Trans to Europe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeucePhaeton, May 13, 2019.

1. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Does anyone have any experience shipping a manual trans over the pond? I have someone interested in a 5-speed that I own and they live in Austria. After crating, what's the route some of you have taken shipping to Europe?

BKR

2. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've shipped several quick change centers (70lbs) in a very heavy cardboard container and the cost for priority shipping to Europe has been around 175.00 and it usually took about 2 weeks. I could track the package to the buyers front door. A trans might be a stretch as it should go in plywood box and I would think you would be getting to the upper limits of the USPS overseas weight limit plus I don't know if they allow wood crates?

4. F&J

F&J

Yes, check on Austria's regulations. Some countries won't allow any type of wood, and some will allow wood only if it's manufactured, like chip board or plywood. Some countries want to decontaminate wood for a two week period in Customs.

5. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my experience, the wood on a pallet must be dried wood that has been sprayed or was chemically treated. Also, the transmission should be empty of any fluids. I definitely recommend contacting the shipper or a customs broker.

6. greener200

greener200

I sold a flathead motor I had listed on the Bay to a guy in Sweden .last second bid with no prior contact . it was listed as local picup. after a few cryptic emails from the guy looking for "help" with shipping I told the guy I would ship it to the end of my driveway,,,that's it . the internet is a wonderful thing. He got a shipping company to come to my house a pic it up . I did charge him and extra 50 bucks to put it on a pallet ,strap it down cover all holes in the engine,wrap it . I took photos of it going on the truck and the licence plate.It went to New Jersey to a container . he got it about a month later. The buyer should do ALL the leg work

DeucePhaeton and seb fontana like this.
  7. chrisp

chrisp

I bought a T5 on the HAMB classified and if I recall it got shipped Greyhound to Cali then Goodies and Family to France (They picked it up at the terminal).