Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winches

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Boneyard51, Jan 8, 2019.

1. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Bones,

I tried, but couldn't get the hot and the main ground to connect without shorting. I then tried to wire up the solenoid and try that again but no go...up above there was some corrosion on the ground where it goes to the brushes, I wonder if I should take that entire assembly apart? Something is shorting, and in thinking about this, maybe I should do that.

The winch motor has a 30 day return policy, and the seller pays shipping it says. I mentioned to him that if it was not the right one I would send it back without even mounting it. The motors usually cost $250, somehow he got a surplus which he sold for $139 and this is the last one.

I didn't look at anything today, I was up to my elbows in brakes, see another thread...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

. I think your motor is good. Put numbers close to your terminals and send me a pic. If you will.

Bones

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  3. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

What I'm calling the main ground is the lead that goes directly to the battery negative post. For my winch, see page 6 in the manual. That post is A. It goes directly to the battery negative post, and another goes to the ground of the solenoid. Somebody had replaced my ground wire with an AWG 10 red, and they seem to have had a ground issue with some type of small black wire they used. I'm currently using a battery cable.

See page 6.

http://www.smittybiltdepot.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=97417.pdf&line=S/B

Here's a bit more info, in case you didn't catch it above. Inside the motor there was a lot of white powder, almost like a battery deposit. I also know the ground was replaced as it's red, and in the manual it says it's black, which makes sense. I hadn't thought about the red wire other than why they would use red for a ground...and after the fact realized it was replaced. The common problem seems to be the ground wire going from the motor post A to the solenoid, they supplied some small black wire. I don't know what size, bit it was pooched, there's several videos of YT, a couple I posted with either fire or other.

I have the winch at home and can look at it tomorrow, or I guess I should say "today" and get some sleep...LOL

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

TT, it’s been 12 years since I did any winch wiring of any consequence. There are two wire motors, three wire motors, and even four wire motors. Looks like I kinda got them mixed up a little and also broke my own rule of trusting my memory. I went back and reviewed your wiring diagram and also Ramsey wiring diagram. I got the wiring a little mixed up on that three wire motor. Scrap the part about the grounding of the fields.
    The current has to flow through the fields first then to the brush post. The way it flows through the fields determines direction of the motor. The motor on the three post does have to be grounded. The little ground wire going to the solenoids is only used to ground solenoids to make them work. Sucks getting old and forgetful. I’m going back and edit the last couple of post , to correct them

Bones

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  5. Last year I bought a non running 301A JD tractor. Me eldest son volunteered to haul it for me. he has a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive and a new trndem axle trailer with a electric winch. I loaded two 5 gallon buckets of chains and boomers ect in his truck. And when we went to load the tractor he had forgot to load his control cable for his winch. But I was prepared I had brought a large cable come along with me. So we loaded a 6000 pound tractor on his trailer by hand. pictured is the orange come a long that we used. Those big ones are hard to find. I bought mine at a farm auction. however there are smaller versions readly available for about $40. be shure and get one with dual spur gears. like the silver one pictured. cable come a long 001.JPG cable come a long 004.JPG

6. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

wolf,

I have one of those and yes, it would work, but it's only 12' cable and I have a 20' trailer. It would work if I had another one, to use 2 connected together, but short of buying another one I was trying to get the winch working.

7. Pull it as far up on the trailer as you can. The put the vehicle in gear or park & block the rear wheels . extend the come along and repete. Its not rocket science. Instead of worrying about the entire distance you need to move something. Just concentrate on the next 6 inches. Sell your electric winch to someone who loves them.

8. pictured is a swingset with a old chain hoist. It was my fathers. and ive seen that hoist pull stuck vehicles & tractors out. It hung from a stout limb on a white oak tree for most of the time. I pulled engines with it. I would hook a chain to the frames and raise the front or rear of a vehicle to work on them. Now I have two of those swing sets & both have caster wheels on them. Makes breaking a tractor in two to change a clutch a lot easier. Dad like me would buy stuff at auctions. and we used that chain hoist to drag heavy stuff and load it. My first wrecker I built I hung the chain hoist from the end of the boom and used a ratchet and socket on the big nut to raise & lower it. junping jimmy 012.JPG

9. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Correction...pictured is a gantry crane, which is a bit different than a "swingset". o_O

I agree on the tire chocks and pulling it up twice, and tried but am by myself. I don't have any brakes and it wasn't possible for me to double clutch to leave it in gear. The trailer top is pretty steep when tilted. I an email for a second come-along listed on craigslist, but no reply from the seller yet. That was 2 days ago. I have a 4-ton, but it's only 12'. I think I'll have the winch working soon.

EDIT: old wolf, what the capacity of the orange one with the pipe handle? the biggest problem I'm having is with length, but I have been planning to get a second one if I can't get the electric winch working. I'd like to have something that could pull 25' and which was mechanical and would pull 4-5 ton at min. Is there such a think that doesn't weigh 500 lbs.?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  10. I have no idea what the capacity of the orange come a long is. I once bent the handle on it because I had a longer cheater pipe slipped over it. They also make a aluminum come A long that has a heavy chain that ratchets thru it as you crank the handle. You might call it a Gavtry Crane. We call it a swingset. I have two of them one is smaller and has a chain fall on it.

11. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I got my winch going today, put a new solenoid in it. No good dead goes unpunished, as they say...new solenoid has a different connector on it...so I took the old one off and spliced it on with some crimp connectors.
    winch-solenoid-old-connector.jpg winch-solenoid-new-connector.jpg winch-solenoid-crimped-connector.jpg

I did get it working, but switch seems sticky, I need to clean it. I'll get this on my trailer and should be good to go.

PS - Yeah, Bones before you rub it in...I was obviously wrong and it was the solenoid...:(:oops::(

12. Cool 33

Cool 33

Pictures of some winches that I have accumulated over the years. One is what I call a freight winch, another is off of an old wrecker boom, another is on a huge old shop built drilling rig that I rescued, and the last is a modern pto powered Ramsey. freight winch.JPG hand winch.JPG winch on drill rig.JPG Ramsey winch.JPG

mchook and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The main things is it’s working!!! You can’t beat a winch when you need one.

Bones

14. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Bones,

I can only echo that as I have needed one and haven't had one...:(

This will help move me closer to having my hauler operational with the 12-ton trailer.

Now I need to get that front end back together so I can winch the darn pickup on the trailer with the winch.:rolleyes:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old thread, I know....Picked this up today from a house that was being renovated; They were going to toss it. 12v; 1/6 H.P.; 72:1 ratio.

IMG_5440.jpg IMG_5439.jpg

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Bones , my old Power Wagon has Ramsey 20,000 hydraulic winch , it had and still has belt driven pump to operate it . I’m in need of PTO Pump for NV4500 or NP 205 , ever heard of such having or using one of these ? Thanks

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yes I have heard of those and have probably seen some. Almost all hydraulic winches I sold or repaired where the belt driven off the crankshaft. You can get a lot of power off the crankshaft with a belt, but not as much as a transmission pto.
    You can look around junk yards, maybe for a pump on a dump truck, it you have the pto already. Finding a used pump/pto combo for one of those gearboxes might be challenging and a new one will be expensive, but available!
    Are you having problems with your belt drive?

Bones

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That would make an excellent trailer winch!

Bones

Pass The Torch likes this.
  19. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure what to do with it yet; it was old and looked cool, so I snagged it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It’s an alignment issue , it was mounted on a gas motor , I built brackets to mount it on the BT , I real bear . Belt on BT is 1/2 , pump is 3/8 . Just easier and better to run from PTO . I’ll keep scouting , one will turn up .

Thanks Ole Buddy , for the advice . Be safe

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When I was a Deweze dealer I sold kits for the pump to mount on most engines for belt drive with various belt sizes. We could get up to 16 GPM at 2500 psi from the electric control clutch driven belt drive pump. Might check with Deweze and see if some dealer has that set up on his shelf. They would probably jump, at the chance to sell it!

Edit:
    I just reread you post, I think you have a Cummins in that truck! If so, that was one of the most common kits I sold! They should be available, new or used! I would try to keep the crank powered system if you could, due to the instant power available at the crankshaft and short hoses!

Bones

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Thanks again , for the info . Be safe , Dave

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Captured 2011-4-18 00052.jpg Captured 2010-12-5 00012.jpg
    Here's 1 we use & 1 we sold to a friend for his old Chevy.

Attached Files:

tractorguy likes this.