Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Why would someone take a old driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought a driveshaft last week from a local salvage yard fairly cheap along with a couple of rims and they were in the bed of my daily driver and over the weekend I parked the truck behind Brenda's shop and drive the shop van home.

Back at the shop this morning I went to pick up my prescriptions in my truck and had forgotten about the parts in the bed until I pulled out in the street and they slid around and made noise, I decided to run by the house and drop them off and that's when I notices the driveshaft is missing!

Why would anyone steal a driveshaft, if they were stealing it for scrap value I would thing it would be practically nothing, why not take the rims too? it's not like I'm out a lot of money but for the life of me what goes through a guys mind to steal a greasy old driveshaft? HRP

2. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, here's a couple of thoughts on the matter. 1) They take things just because they Can (but why not take the rims too). 2) I sometimes wonder what are they thinking or why others are doing something, but then I sometimes can't even figure out why I do some things. Oh well.... then I just shake my head and go about my business! It is Monday, ya know?!

Hnstray, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  3. Druggie needed a bigger bong pipe. LOL

clem, VANDENPLAS, j3harleys and 5 others like this.
  4. trollst

trollst

If it was worth two cents scrap, thats more money in the pocket than no cents, simple as that.

5. don't you remember? you took it of the bed and put it............

Hnstray, j3harleys, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Methamphetamine. Tweakers. They'll scrap anything not nailed down, and then remove the nails so they can.

Bronze cemetery markers for VFW, plaques, streetlights, residential air conditioning compressors. If it's made of metal it's fair game.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't have an answer Danny but I bet the guy looked pretty funny running away with that driveshaft.

Deuces, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

In today's world there are no limits nor rules in the minds of too many.

Hnstray, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 5 others like this.
  9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I stopped trying to make sense of why thieves do what they do. Since society has adopted the "It's only illegal if you get caught" mentality (and the courts reinforce it), there's no real deterrent to stealing.

Deuces, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 3 others like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Boggles the mind doesn't it? Someone stole the flat tire and ratty 6 lug wheel out of the bed of my old '68 Chevy truck while it sat in a semi-secure aerospace parking lot years back. ???? and that was before Meth became the norm.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I guess you can only make sense of what you do. It is a sad world when people cannot keep their hands off ofother peoples property. :mad::(

Deuces, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Too bad you didn't leave a bag of dog shit in the bed along with the drive shaft.

13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Nothing is safe anymore! Happens so much it's almost considered the norm.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not ,too surprised at stuff stolen from the back of a truck, but I agree with Danny: Why'd they steal the driveshaft and leave the wheels?

15. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Maybe his wife got the goldmine and he got the....

Clik, Hnstray, '34 Terraplane and 4 others like this.
  16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

In your lead post you admit to being forgetful, did you call the salvage yard and ask if you forgot to load your shaft?

Clik, Hnstray, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  17. Granted, I can forget things but I am the one that carried the driveshaft and put it the bed.

I'm just glad there was nothing in the bed that had any real value to me. HRP

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Deuces, 3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

In today's society it's the victims fault, as in YOU shouldn't have left it in the truck to tempt some poor soul. It p!sses me off when I hear some cop tell a person " even though you locked your car you shouldn't have left that Wal-Mart bag in the back seat for someone to see and break the back window to steal".

How about every time we catch a thief we cut off a finger, give new meaning to the term 5 finger discount.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had another body part in mind!:eek:

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Scrappers and meth heads have gotten extremely bold around here the last several years. They drive around and take anything made of metal. If someone catches/stops them, they play real stupid, apologize and state they thought it was trash. Nothing is sacred. Cops recently arrested a scrap yard here when they found a bin full of bronze, local gravestone markers.
    With fuel north of $4.00 a gallon I wonder how much they can really clear. I regularly see a two dudes cruising around with a huge (3 ton?) flatbed diesel rig loading water heaters, etc. Can't image with MPG and splitting it 2 ways they can clear much. But you have to consider what I call "scrapper mentality"; spend 10 bucks in gas to go get $15 worth of metal.

I'm starting to see steel cages built around central air units and even home window air conditioners!

[​IMG]

Deuces, Truck64, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  21. silent rick

silent rick

maybe the wheels wouldn't fit in the shopping cart he stole from the food king

22. That's a little harsh for a petty crime although in some parts of Nigeria and in Saudi Arabia cutting the right hand off at he wrist is the punishment for being caught stealing. HRP

Deuces, 3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Its the scrap metal hobos. If you leave a torque converter outside to drain... it's gone the next AM. Especially true of commercial shops or serious hobby garages where there is public access 24 / 7. Yep, it is stealing nonetheless.

24. Went to the local meat & three for diner a few weeks ago and I noticed it was a bit warmer than usual, the owner said someone had trashed the air conditioning unit out back to steal the copper tubing.

The police said it was meth heads, this guys out a few thousand dollars for 40 bucks worth of copper. :mad: HRP

25. About 20 years ago I got in the habit of removing everything from vehicles and keeping them empty, then they stole the damned car...

-Brent-, VANDENPLAS, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's cute that somebody thinks the cage around the outside A/C compressor unit is going to stop a determined meth head. It's made of metal, after all.

clem, Hnstray, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  27. Stooge

Stooge

Years ago, I had emptied the cat litter box into a plastic grocery store bag to take out to the trash barrels and left it on the front porch. i live in a nice quiet neighborhood, but in the half hour I left it outside, someone came by and ran off with it. they must have been pretty disappointed, literally stealing a bag of cat shit

Rolleiflex, clem, dwollam and 9 others like this.
  28. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Damn,just damn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.