Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AIR SHOCKS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 12, 2019.

1. I have a pair on the shoebox, the 32 Ford Sedan and the 59 Olds wagon.

On board compressors on the 49 and 32 make it nice to be able to adjust them while moving

Deuces, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. I have the same setup on my 52 Ford Mainline. I've been running closer to 50psi.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ah, the days of everyone piling in the car and driving around with the L60s scraping on every bump and turn while trying to find a gas station with enough air to pump up the shocks.

4. primed34

primed34

Had them on my '55 Chevy for decades but not mounted in the stock location which is the trunk floor. Air shocks poked a hole in many a tri five Chevy trunk floor.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes, I had them on 1 or 2 cars back in the day, but they went out of fashion. Engineering the car to sit low was the next evolution of hot rodding.

Back in the early 80's air assisted suspension was used a lot on motorcycles, to fine tune the ride. My 82 Yamaha XV920 had air suspension, front & rear. I had to buy a special pump to air them up accurately.

6. A lot of oversized tires on the rear of cars not designed for them and air shocks became the solution, it kept the tires from getting cut up bu the fender lip. HRP

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I have a new set still in the box.

8. Deuces

Deuces

It also helped to have the adjustable shackles on the leaf springs... All I did was raise the ass end up 2 more inches and tried to maintain 30-40 psi in the shocks...

9. primed34

primed34

I run a valve for each side to make the car sit straight.

3W JOHN, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. upspirate

upspirate

Come to think of it, my last rod, the '32 p/u had them when I got it.
    Only one had air to level it I suppose.
    You can see in this pic that the left one has air, and the right doesn't even have a line hooked to it IMG_0494.JPG

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  11. dualquads

dualquads

I have exactly the same on my 30 coupe, fitted 2 valves to put a little more in the drivers side.

12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have two cars that have had Highjackers since the beginning and are still on the cars today. A 70 Camaro and a 70 Challenger. Have an extra pair on a shelf. They still work so they are still on.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have a set of HJ'ers in my Shoebox, put in for drag racing and plumbed indiviually for coming out strait if needed..Never used as such but there is supposed to be 10/15 # kept in them to keep the bags from "chaffing".

14. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have them on the back of my '57 Pontiac IMG_0430.JPG
    KK

catdad49, 3W JOHN, slowmotion and 2 others like this.
  15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I put a pair on an OT pickup a few years ago because I was doing some hauling and wanted to level it out. I fully expected to return to normal gas shocks but they road well with just the recommended twenty pounds in them and they stayed on it.

16. KenC

KenC

I was going to post about that! Worked in a service station in '60 and saw more than one of those. Usually on Sat night when us kids loaded up the car with friends and cruised main street. They'd stop at the station, jack up the car, hit the gas and railroad tracks too hard.

17. AB6DO

AB6DO

CE9ADDB7-6326-4FCF-BC78-2A2909FD3437.jpeg I have had 3 sets of Gabriel’s on my 57 wagon since I got it many years ago. Installed a shock bar with the first set of high jackers. Last set I installed separate fillers. Keep 20 pounds all the time, more when taking friends along.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Had them on my '57. It rode fine with 20# of air and if I wanted to haul something it hit the axle on the bump stops hard. Load it, air it up and drive like normal. Worked great.
    SPark

Attached Files:

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  19. papajohn

papajohn

You wouldn't happen to have a part # for the 59 olds wagon? Would you?

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. My latest project 57 Chevy p/u had a set on them, might put them back to help out the old parts hauler. 20190106_135005.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  22. Bugguts

Bugguts

Have had a set of Hi Jackers on my 65 Barracuda since 1983. First mode I did to run taller, wider tires. Never let me down yet, and rides pretty good. Also installed a set on my 66 F100. A little air helps keep it from bottoming out on big bumps. Screenshot_2017-10-25-14-07-51-1-1.jpeg Screenshot_2018-03-06-18-51-24-1.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  23. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

well i am here to tell you i absolutely hate them. ever single set i ever bought would leak. i even have a new pair in the boxes i will probably never use. i am a gluten for punishment. i bought those just a couple of years ago. i built my heny j to use them so i could tow my race car. i would fill them up and by the time i got there they would be flat. i have bought new hose kits and they leaked. please don't ask me if i used the seals or any other way to stop them from leaking because i have tried everything. i think the first pair i bought was for my '54 ford mainline back in '63 and they leaked!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. [​IMG]

Man, That is a good looking truck, I have a soft spot for '65 & '66 Ford trucks. HRP

25. papajohn

papajohn

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Deuces and papajohn like this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do they come in chrome?

28. I don't have a clue but you can call and ask, they seem to have a huge range of applications. HRP

A-1 Shock Absorber Company
    970-513-8283 or 9800-344-1966

Deuces likes this.
  29. They came stock on my El Camino. I use them when I take crap to the dump. They're Gabriels, they work OK.

30. I used them on the Pusher. Gabriel's as I recall. Mine mounted before the axle and I used them for traction control at the strip and weight control when I was hauling a big load. I did not use them to gain rake.