Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AIR SHOCKS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 12, 2019.

1. Back when I was in my teen's I had air shocks on my Falcon, my GTO and my '65 Dodge Van but haven't used them in many years, anyone using them on a custom or a hot rod? HRP

SPEC, 3W JOHN, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

got them on my 57 Chevy wagon

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

I had them on an OT Jeep Cherokee a couple of years ago. Used them to raise the ass end up when using a receiver hitch cargo rack hauling loads of firewood for camping. They were the real deal, Gabriel Hijackers.

3W JOHN, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Had those on my Camaros and Novas....

5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Hadn’t used them since mid 60’s. Had them on my 55’ Chevy Sedan. Can’t believe I rode around with the butt end that high.

Rich S., irishsteve, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Actually I have them on the 51 merc along with a trailer hitch! lol Larry

3W JOHN, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

If I had a nickel for every pair of Gabriel HiJackers I installed when I worked at a more-or-less speed shop back in the early 70's......well, I'd have a lot of nickles.:rolleyes:

Lynn

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gabriel HiJackers, there's a blast from the past.

9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Years ago on my 66 GTO. Don't think it was legal to own a 60`s goat without air shocks back in the day.

Phoenix24, '51 Norm, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  10. Have them on my 51' Merc as well. Work great

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My 65 El Camino had factory air shocks.

jnaki, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  12. upspirate

upspirate

Had them on my 36 Chev p/u.....tires rubbed on fenders when hitting bumps while towing my pop-up trailer on the way to Louisville NSRA nats to be in the flood.
    Bought some up there and installed them with the help of MSRA tools at the rod repair shop.Cured the rubbing when loaded

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  13. deadbeat

deadbeat

Got them on my wife's 63 Thunderbird. Helps when there is a tank full of gas and a trunk full gear on a road trip,,cheers

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I was changing tags on my Firebird when I noticed a Schrader valve hidden up under the bumper. Went straight to the Texaco and put some air in and whoosh! Instant up in the rear a couple inches, and we was cruizin in style, baby :) I was glad I had them when I ran 60 series tires. Have not run a set in years, after a while I figured out that not all shock mounting points were happy supporting the car.

15. If you had air shocks and Cragar SS mags back then you pretty much had it made.:D;)

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9794A431-7444-4378-A8D1-8A4F552460FC.jpeg
    Yes had these in our 57 they were useful when we had all seats occupied and towing a camper . Only downer was ( Ok 2 downers) if you were on the road somewhere and needed more air no gas station Air outlets went over 35lb , i think we ran 60lb. Then they did not handle that nice.

Deuces, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  17. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

On my Lincoln , the wife's 54 Belair ,and our 62 Galaxie. Surpringly they are still only about 60 bucks

Deuces, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-just-el-caminos-thread.1105221/page-9#post-12686931

Hello,
    Air shocks, what a concept. The first time they were on a factory vehicle was in 1964-65 when the first generation newer, El Camino body style came into play. The rear shocks and springs were ok, but the minute anyone put things in the back, the front raised up, while the back pickup bed sank. Stiffer springs still sagged with any weight. It was disheartening to see the front end raised up when "stuff" was added to the bed. Once that was done, a trip to the neighborhood gas station was the next step. Then when the air was added to the interior valve, the heavy load in the bed raised up to make the El Camino level for normal driving. But, how much air was going in?

Back then, there were no home air compressors or if there were, they were too expensive. So, with the impending weight coming up, an early trip to the gas station for air was tried. Many times, after putting in the allowed amount of air, the 65 El Camino with the empty bed looked like a stink bug ready for action. Placing things in the back neutralized the level. But, if it was two motorcycles, it was difficult to drive up a ramp or push it in place on the driveway. The desert trips with two dirt racing bikes made us pick a spot for unloading. The air was still in the shocks, so, we had to find a slight dip or hill rise to make it easier to ride onto the back after the grueling races.

Jnaki

from an earlier post
    upload_2019-5-13_3-30-1.png
    Unless you already have one, here is a small winter project for your 64-65 model. Ever since I got involved in desert motorcycle racing after our drag racing episodes, there was a need for a gauge to see the level of air in those “air shocks” that came from the factory.
    upload_2019-5-13_3-32-28.png
    It was difficult to measure how much was put in, as those gas station pumps were never accurate. An accurate air pressure gauge was necessary. It is installed under the teeny package tray behind the seats. The only thing that shows on top of the tray (when the seat is in the normal position) is the valve +cap. There were countless times that I was asked which factory option ordering number it was and/or if they could get the part from any Chevy dealer.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...m-i-still-worthy.1055430/page-2#post-11978015

Once you have the air gauge, this project should not take you that long. A snowed-in/rainy day should give you enough time to make the installation. It sure saved me countless times filling in and letting out the air for the best ride in any situations for the El Camino.

Jnaki

I am not sure where they still sell them, but any gauge could be adapted. Here is another thread on new air pressure gauges. If you do not have the air bag pumps and tank installed, this is a "gauge only" install for the stock air shocks. Back in 1965, it worked like a charm and was very handy.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/everything-but-the-kitchen-sink.1035655/page-2

Cosmo49, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

In the day I had 3 different 68 GTO's and every one of them had air shocks on the rear from the factory. It was cool back then to air them up and have the ass end up in the air

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn’t run L60’s without them...unless you cut the 1/4ers.

i.rant, klleetrucking, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Put 'em on my '69 SS Chevelle, it was mandatory, '69Z still has 'em too. Factory units were on the '71 El Camino.
    Gabriel musta sold several million sets of Hi-Jackers in the day...

22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Gabriel had to make a fortune back then selling hijackers!

23. It was cool to hide the fill valve using a license plate hole. My dad had a '51 Ford and that had 2 fill valves for some reason. They were inside the car, in the vertical portion of the rear floor pans.

24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I thought everyone had them. Didn't we all use them on something sometime? Had to use them when running the N50's. I use the modern airbags on my truck when the 5th wheel is hooked up now. Time changes things.....

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Had a Ford wagon in 74 that had factory air shocks along with an air pump to fill them when the rear sagged and tripped the fill switch. Pretty cool.

26. I have them on the back of my 52 Dodge Coronet. Car has 3" drop blocks and sagged stock springs so it sits pretty low. I keep 30psi in the shocks for normal driving. I bump that up when I'm going on a long trip with a bunch of camping gear in the car.

27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Had them on my 70 Chevelle, part of my “day two” mods to fit the J70 Mickey Thompson’s on the Cragar SS’s , bad ass look 49 years ago!

bowie, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  28. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn!, It was that long ago, wasn't it...!

29. Sssshhhh, don't tell anybody but I have them on my roadster rearend.
    They're for a VW Beetle, so they're valved for a lightweight car.
    I've got a fairly light transverse spring, and use them when the trunk is loaded heavy to get the ride height back.
    Worked perfectly since '87. Rides nice with or without inflation.

RICH B, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  30. ...........................Secret's safe with me.:D;)

Deuces, 3W JOHN, i.rant and 2 others like this.