Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Ford Model "A" conrods -anyone on here used them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stueeee, May 12, 2019.

1. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

As per the thread title, I'm looking at using a set of these rods from Snyders in an engine build I'm doing now: https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/...egory=Products/model-a/engine/connecting-rods
    Apart from what looks a decent material specification, they also seem attractive as the price of these rods and the insert bearings is probably less than it would cost to get my stock rods re-metalled here. Just wondered if anyone here has used the new rods and what your experience was.

Thanks in anticipation for any replies.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I don't know all that much about the internals of the Model A engine, but only the other days my buddy who is rebuilding a new engine for a desert off road run with a group of Models was showing his stock con rods and explained to me that one issue is the lack of material around the wrist pin area and the fact that the small hole tends to deform to oval.
    One improvement way back when was to use a 1 piece bearing but that still does not add material to the top end.
    I'm sure that these items with weight matching and some newer ideas will be an improvement, but looking at the prices they are not cheap.

Stueeee likes this.
  3. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Thanks for the reply, the new rods aren't cheap, but then white metalling isn't cheap "over here". I would need to pay to have my stock rods magnafluxed before getting them metalled to be confident that they're OK which isn't cheap here either.

My general concern with using reproduction stuff is that the quality isn't always the best, so I thought I would ask on here for other peoples' experiences.

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Going by buddies engine build, with the pitfalls he has encountered it is sounding like spending a few extra pennies is probably worth every cent...
    Good luck with your build and don't hesitate to share your experience on here.

5. I have them in one of my motors. I also know of 4 other guys using them. No issues to date.
    20170909_115252.jpg

Stueeee likes this.
  6. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Thanks to all for your replies; I have a bit more confidence in buying myself a set now.