Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Don't Try This At Home"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, May 11, 2019.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

LOL! I just got the old 28 x 10" cheater slicks off and the new 31 x 12"mounted on the 10' wheels. I can't get them to bead up. Three of us have worked for more than an hour. to no avail. We even tried the ratchet strap trick. I know one of those bead blaster things would work at the tire shop, but I hate to go there on a Saturday morning. OK, now for the "Don't try this at home" part. I've never tried it before but what about the old starting fluid trick? I'm just about frustrated enough to try it. Let's hear your stories.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

starting fluid works great. just a one second shot and try that first, two seconds if it needs more. i made a tire cannon from an old air tank off a truck, every growing boy should have one

jaw22w likes this.
  3. Dennis D

Dennis D

I have in the past put a tube in and used it to seat the bead. You can then break it down on one side and pull the tube out. Not the easiest but it will work. D

jaw22w likes this.
  4. It works alright. The first time will make your ass pucker for sure!

jaw22w, VANDENPLAS and WB69 like this.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Have you tried pumping air in the tire and using the strap method????... Also need to move the tire up and down...
    Just might work!

jaw22w likes this.
  6. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Used to blow race tires on all the time with lighter fluid. Have also used the old tire cannon trick too. Slayer was right about the ass pucker! Kind of got used to it after awhile.

Deuces, 3banjos and jaw22w like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If the ether doesn't work the first try (it always works for me but I've been at it for decades), you have to introduce fresh air back into the tire before trying again.

427 sleeper, jaw22w, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"It's my Life" "Mirror mirror on the wall" "Why God?" "911" "I should have went to the tire shop"

9. An ol' timer I knew would take some foot long hunks of 2x4 and brace them between the beads a few days before doing the actual mounting. It seemed to help the tire casings take a wider set and not collapse together so much.

tb33anda3rd, Deuces, jaw22w and 2 others like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lol. Truly Freuded of myself. As I get older stuff hurts more and recovery becomes more miserable. I not having it anymore.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

As mentioned, I have spread the beads with 2x4s and used axle grease on the bead

jaw22w likes this.
  12. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Back in the day when I worked in the tire business, A kid use to do this all the time with semi truck tires.
    A set of 8, shot of starter fluid and 2 steps back and tos a match at it .. BOOM! ... BOOM! ... BOOM! ... you get the idea.
    The office finally did get on him about doing it in the shop, while salesmen were on the phone.
    Not because it was harmful, it is somewhat accepted practice, mainly because of the noise.

Got to admit the kid was a go getter, he was top service man and worked commission, He got shit done.
    Couple years later he made manager of the complete operation.

13. gas & guns

gas & guns

One of my methods... you need to get one bead to stick on the rim. Preferably the valve stem side. You can put the rim over a 5 gallon pail and let gravity help spread the tire. Make sure valve core is removed so it doesn't restrict air flow. Shove the air hose coupler directly on the valve stem without an air chuck. You may have to work the tire a bit to get it to seal.
    Not quite the perfect method but I've done a bunch this way.

At least you don't burn off your beard like the last time I tried starting fluid.
    That starting fluid will knock a beer right out of your hand!

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I hope you removed the stem valve innards to provide a full flow of compressed air.

Deuces likes this.
  15. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I had to go to the parts store to get valve stems and starter fluid. About a second and a half spray, a little fire on the end of a 3 foot stick and Bang! Beaded it right up. Better than having to put 50+ pounds in it to get it to bead up . I can't believe as old as I am I had never done this before. Easy Peasy. There is a little pucker factor though.
    I tried that. I stuck 4 all around the tire yesterday, wider than it was going to mount. I might have gained some, but not enough.
    Thanks guys.

16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I hope there was a video of this...:)

17. F&J

F&J

Atta boy, young man....."You don't get nowhere in life by being a pussy"...

18. leon bee

leon bee

Always reluctant to try the ether trick till last week. Desperation drove me to it, now I got a brand new can of starting fluid on the shelf. I used a propane torch for ignition, extended my reach quite a bit. And I had my earmuffs on.

Deuces likes this.
  19. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

No video. One hand for the fire. One hand for the ether. And trying not to get blown up. Too busy for a video. LOL.
    :)F&J, I think I am about a year older than you and I am a LOT of things, but one of 'em ain't no pussy!:cool: IMG_0357.JPG

INVISIBLEKID, WB69, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  20. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Mounting a 10-12 inch tire on a 10 foot rim is hard. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist)
    What othercarguy said, tire mounting compound is where to start, it alone may be enough to seat a bead. After doing a set of trailer truck tires your hands will be cleaner than when you started. Washes off with water. It should be available at any parts store. Not all that expensive either and reusable. This stuff makes ANY other method work easier. The one thing not to do is use gun grease. D.O.T. can make your life miserable if you are caught mounting a tire intended for highway use with either but drag slicks aren't approved for highway use anyway.

klleetrucking and Deuces like this.
  21. I bought a “cheetah”. This is the can with a nozzle to mount tires. I’ve blown tires off the rim with ether.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  22. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah, I noticed that 10 FOOT wheel. Slip of the finger.:p That would really give me some rubber rake.
    For lubrication, I use Tire Snot. Slippery stuff that dries kinda' sticky. Pink. Really good stuff. Can't even tell you where it came from. Been in the cabinet over 20 years. Still works good though.

Deuces likes this.
  23. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've mounted a lot of tires on wheels in my life, but have never used starting fluid and fire to mount one.
    If you really want to have some fun, try mounting a 5" wide tire on a 6" wheel. Gene

Deuces likes this.
  24. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

When my son was racing GoKarts. We ran 8" tires on 10" rims. There was absolutely no way to get those things beaded up with any of the regular tricks. I ended up fabbing a 6" piece of 10" pipe. Cut in two and hinged on one side. Brackets and a bolt to tighten it upat the other side. You could clamp the wheel and tire in it and it would bead up. Remove the clamp and finish airing. It was quite the procedure. Now I wonder if we could have blown them on there with starting fluid?

Deuces and WB69 like this.
  25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Ive done it many times, the only mishap occured out in the desert one weekend when I got my bbq lighter a little too close to the bead....smashed the end flat...by the way there was no alcohol involved in this endevor:D

Deuces likes this.
  26. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Makes perfect sense.

Deuces likes this.
  27. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

You just described exactly what I made to the "T" when my son was racing go-karts. Did you ever run in Ks.?

28. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I think we ran an I.K.F. Grand National race somewhere in Kansas. Man, it's hard to remember. We raced karts 70-80 races a year for 9 years from New York to Oklahoma and almost every state in between. My son, Scotty, won a LOT of kart races. He races non-wing sprints now.

Deuces likes this.
  29. leon bee

leon bee

Did it again yesterday and figgered out a possibly helpful tip. In case it hasn't been already mentioned: might be better to start out with a too small shot of fluid, rather than a too strong shot of fluid.

lumpy 63 and Deuces like this.