Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engine swap emissions confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Falcon64, May 11, 2019.

1. hello everyone today I’m writing because I’m thoroughly confused about engine swaps. So or some background info I have a 1964 falcon 2dr sedan with a 144. It would be registered in either Colorado or Arizona. I have been contemplating a 200 CI engine swap. Right now being a 1964 it is emissions exempt. I’m really confused because some people tell me I won’t need to modify title or emissions but some tell me it needs all emissions standards of the vehicle it came out of

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I surmise it has to conform to the state it is registered in regards to the specific year. I have not researched either state but I doubt you have any worries. Maybe research but you maybe over thinking it.

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Arizona cars '67 and newer are subject to emissions testing. The Arizona DMV should have that info online if you want to be 100% sure, but your engine swap shouldn't be a problem.

-Abone.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I have had several vehicles in AZ that are 1966 and older and there has never been any problem with engine swaps...no one knows the engine is swapped, no one cares the engine is swapped, it's a non-issue.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as I know, in all 50 states (and yes, you should verify), emissions regulations are tied to the model year that is on the title.

In every state that I know of, you can do an engine swap on a vehicle that is subject to emissions testing, as long as you use a passenger car, or light truck engine that is of the same title year, or newer, and maintain all of the emissions control equipment, in proper working order.

None of this applies to your vehicle. Unless either Colorado or Arizona requires a physical inspection of vehicles, for modification, that are otherwise emissions exempt, nobody would have cause to know that anything has been done. If they did require this inspection, that would mean that they are NOT EMISSIONS EXEMPT!

Absolute worst case scenario: You would need to maintain the emissions control equipment from the donor-year of the engine. In the case of up to the early 1970's, this would mean that you would need a PCV valve, which is a good idea, anyways, even on the 144.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't ask, don't tell....:D

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

even if you want to tell, no one cares, because there are no laws about it.

8. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Just do it !!!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow, 67 and newer? In Ca it's 76, and there's a bill to move it to 84 I think. Chance of that passing, probably slim.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. Who you been listening too? That's a lot of bad information. I doubt any shop could tell a 144 from a 200 unless you told them. When was the last 200 made? I looked it up, seems like it was in cars as late as '83. Take off or replace any piece that can identify it as a later engine.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. gene-koning

gene-koning

I believe the law was originally written that the vehicle has to meet the emission standards for either the year of the body, or the year of the motor, which ever is the newest.
    As long as your car doesn't require an inspection, don't ask, don't tell is a great concept. The good news is most emission testing stations wouldn't know what an original motor looks like from the pre emissions years, and would base the requirement of an emission test on the year of the body. Gene

12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

In AZ IM testing is dependent on county, so it would depend upon where you title it.

13. squirrel

squirrel

not if it's 66 or older...no IM testing at all.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

In CA smog check for 1976 and newer. If you do an engine swap on 76 and newer smog check has to be to the engine. 1975 and older. Who cares? Don’t ask, don’t tell.

15. Arent the 144,and 200 from the same family?Paint it the color of the 144,and use the 144 air cleaner etc.

16. Up here they past a law a few years ago where the engine has to have any emission compliant parts on it that where sold with the engine.

I know of no law enforcement pulling over old cars and looking at stuff.

I know they have pulled over import cars and tuner cars and handed out tickets, but it’s easy to tell if a 2010 Honda whatever has the cat removed or any of a number of other things messed with.

A 60’s 50’ 40’s etc car........ most cops don’t know or care what they are looking at.