Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Has Tractors

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by crashfarmer, May 14, 2018.

1. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Just drove a couple of more 9Ns home yesterday. That makes three I own now. Great little tractors for mowing our five acres. 26529.jpeg

2. Q81A

Q81A

Allan Taylor 6y i bought this in 1994, picture was taken a few years ago at a local old car show, if you've never seen one before thats because they were converted by an engineering company in Wandsworth London , England. IMG_1877.JPG

ct1932ford, Okie Pete and tractorguy like this.
  3. *JW*

*JW*

Combination truck and tractor imagine that. Check this one out from 1910

100_0274.JPG
    Has replaceable wooden plugs for tires.
    100_0276.JPG 100_0275.JPG
    In the Iowa 80 Trucking Museum Walcott, IA

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My Dad told me of a truck in his youth that was similar to the Avery, as to it was chain drive.
    He said while the truck was loaded you used both chains, when the truck was empty on the way back, you disconnected one chain and put it around a fixed sprocket on the frame, forcing the other axle to spin twice as fast through the spider gears, turning one wheel on the dead axle to turn twice as fast also...... instant overdrive.... at two to one.... now that’s overdrive!

Bones

A Boner likes this.
  5. Stu Bludebaker

Stu Bludebaker
    from Omaha

Grandpa Skow had the Allis-Chalmers dealership in Moorhead, Iowa up until the end. :3

I have just a 608LT riding mower that was a hand-me-down from Grandpa to Dad and then from Dad to me.

Boneyard51, Okie Pete and tractorguy like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

4DECE079-5236-41A4-9C54-4D156C848833.jpeg I’ve got the very first WC Allis sold in Ventura County, California, to the Vaca family, in 1934. It has a four ditgit serial number. We hauled it back here to Oklahoma, in 1957. It was our main tractor, while building the ranch for several years and was used up until maybe twenty years ago. I have it stored in the shop, have to look hard for it! Lol

Okie Pete, Old wolf and tractorguy like this.
  7. My grandsons are here for the week. We went to our other place to check the cows. And the two oldest urchins where exploring everything. So we winched the home brew tractor up on the wrecker sling and brought it home. It has some kind of banjo rear and what appears to be a 4 to 1 Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 001.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 003.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 006.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 008.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 009.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 010.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 012.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 013.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 015.JPG Homebuilt Tractor and Boys 019.JPG reduction ahead of the rear end. some sort of three speed trans. driven by a belt drive from a right angle gear box. then a belt from a engine drove that and was activated by a foot lever with a idler pulley. tiller steering. a Armstrong lift. the Rear Knobby tires have seen better days. Eny Road last Sat I attended the annual FFA auction and bought two rear tires for $32.50 and a 8 HP Kohler engine for $5. The Boys where excited to help they took turns operating the electric winch controls on the wrecker. So I think we will play with this gem the remainder of their visit.

8. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I bought a 1978 Ford 420 with the bucket and the back hoe. This machines is incredible and tons of fun.. I have killed a few trees with it learning to drive it. Here in Jersey they get thousand dollars a day for a back hoe. This thing paid for itself the first week

Okie Pete likes this.
  9. *JW*

*JW*

10. Bought a John Deere MT last fall. It runs IMG_6960.JPG but I've done nothing with it so far.

treeman53, Okie Pete and tractorguy like this.
  11. W6RAT

W6RAT
    from Coos Bay

this is my 8N dont no if it is a 50 or 51 it is about as old as me. I am on 53 acres. it is mostly stock but I changed it from 6 to 12 volt 20190509_1654252.jpg

12. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I have a 57 Ford that is a 600 series,IIRC. Probably an industrial model because it only has a 3 speed trans with no double low. Not knowing much/anything about them when I bought it,I never thought to check to see if it had a 4 speed or not. Won't really run slow enough to cut tall grass with a bush hog behind it.

Also have a 80's something 345D diesel loader that has 12 speeds and weighs almost 10k lbs. Used it mostly to move parts cars around in the yard,and to strip them. I could hook a chair to the front of a car,hook it to the bucket,and then stand the car up on it's rear bumper to unbolt the engine and trans. Used to just block them up and crawl under them out in they yard,but then one day I had a snake crawl under the car with me while I was unbolting a trans,and now I no longer crawl under cars in my yard.

Bought a new 30 hp TYM Korean 4x4 diesel tractor with a cab,ac,heat,and a radio last year that only weighs 3000 lbs that I can use to both move cars around with and pull a bush hog through the tall marsh grass,so I will be putting the 345 D Ford up for sale this summer. Even though it is Korean,the factory that assembles them is in Rocky Mount,NC,so I am not worried about parts. Paid a LOT more for this one than the other two.

Going to sell the 57 Ford 600,too. The new tractor will pull a bush hog slow enough to get a good cut,so I don't need it any more,either.

13. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I am guessing that a lack of power won't be one of your problems.

crashfarmer likes this.
  14. NoSurf

NoSurf

OK now I am in the club. I brought home this 1940 9N this last weekend. I had already ordered a new repop grill for it.

[​IMG]

It was stuck, but now have it turning over. No spark yet, so I might put in a new set of points. I need to scare up another decent rear wheel and tire for the back.

Boneyard51, tractorguy and 41 coupe like this.
  15. picked up the back half of an 8n at the scrap yard
    super clean rear and trans with steering and axle
    nice rear script fenders

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1069.JPG Here is one that I saw while on vacation in Fairbanks Alaska that has been converted into a snow machine. There was even a video of it running around. Never saw one like it and it is unique.

17. Ok most of my tractors are older than me. Last year I drifted away from the Farmalls and bought a really cheap 301A JD. Government Surplus former Hwy dept tractor. $750 bargain only needed a carb clean file the points free up the water pump and fix the burnt up starter. Finally got the bugs worked out of it. I really like the mid mount mower that has live hyd lift on the mower and sickle bar. Jeepers a tractor less that 40 years old and it has power steering a padded seat and a half cab! Little Deano who is my shadow already claims it. I need to build a three point lift and find a rear PTO. Ive got a Chinese Dong Feng front end loader I can put on it.If I get it set up like I want I likely will sell some of my letter series farmalls. 301 JD 001.JPG 301 JD 002.JPG 301 JD 009.JPG 301 JD 004.JPG

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s a good looking tractor! What’s that track layer in the background?

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  19. That's a 1940 Caterpillar D 4 7J narrow guage bulldozer. Tight little machine. I bought it at a estate auction. Also cost $750. not running had not beed started in over 5 years.. had to hook a coil to the mag and clean the carb to get the pony engine running. still could not get the diesel to fire up. So my wife and I took a M Farmall and loaded it on my tilt top trailer and hauled it up there. 8 miles up a Narrow steep rocky pig trail road. Named nine mile ridge. Crossed spring River on a old narrow WPA low water bridge. We took cable and two snatch blocks and loaded the dozer up on the trailer. hooked the M to it and attempted to pull it to where we could get a lowboy to fetch it home. about 14,000 pounds on a single wheel two axle trailer. of course We had tire trouble my old bias plys failed. but I had spares. so We finally made it to the last steep hill on the gravel. It was the worst one had That narrow bridge and spring river at the bottom.. I got off and adjusted the throttle plate on the carb to where it was completely closed . bailed off the hill And of course it was pretty harry. low gear ignition on applying the brakes and it seemed to keep gaining speed. the old M,s engine was winding up higher than it was designed for. and blowing blue smoke.If I had locked up the brakes it would have started skidding. However I somehow made it to the bottom and across the Spring River. only a B&N Rail Road track and two low weight bridges too cross. and it was asphalt county road. three miles from a overlook within sight of Hwy 63. however I had another flat and was out of spares. So we parked it on the RR right of way. returned the next AM. changed the trailer tire and away I went. My wife following in A 3/4 ton 86 chevy truck. I had it made! So I thought I got to a steep hill a match for the one I came down. However this was wide and paved. Got to the steepest part I could see the Overlook that was my destination. And the old M spun out!!! My wife see what happened and backed up and got crossways to keep traffic from coming. I put it in reverse and backed picked my spot and set it in that spot. My wife came up and we let traffic pass. I hooked that 100 feet of cable to the tractor and the truck bumper. The truckhad a 305 granny 4 speed and a couple thousand pound of stuff in the bed & 456 no spin rear gears. I could take off from where I was setting. I told my wife whatever you do don't let the truck stall out. So we take off. Debbie gets to the end of the cable and since wide open on a M in 1st gear is much slower that half throttle in first in the truck She is smoking tires. I cant see the pickup for the tire smoke. however it was a success . Debbie pulled me to peak and I drove into the overlook. She was still smoking tires. Then she finally stopped. I eased the tractor foreward a few feet. unhooked the cable and began rolling it up. unhooked from the
    Truck and threw it in the back. Debbie asked did I do Ok. I stated perfect that racator is where it supposed to be and nobody wrecked or got hurt. I hired a lowboy to brin the dozer here. The injection pump had drawn moisture and the fuel rack was stuck. I took it off and dissembled and cleaned it . ut it back on and it ran like its supposed too. My grandson G dozer 2 001.JPG dozer 2 001.JPG rayson thinks it his. I added a couple of pictures of the rear tires my wife smoked that where on the back of the truck. the rough tread was almost new before the pull the tractor & dozer burnout contest? the other tire had deep tread also just before recap tires 011.JPG recap tires 012.JPG .

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

BC530DCD-7ED3-4010-8506-4084DE62E33E.jpeg 00960725-5AC7-46CA-BB99-24C17806E7AF.jpeg D399E832-080A-494E-B694-E7B152AFB7F4.jpeg 0EBF906E-F48C-4050-A440-A35EE622D063.jpeg Wow! Sounds like that was an adventure, for sure! Luckily all dozers I have purchased, I’ve hired someone with a large lowboy to haul for me. Our largest dozer is too big for any trailer we have anyway . It’s a 1959 D-9 it’s a hoss, we used it to clear a lot of the ranch. It’s been sitting for a while now, as we really don’t need it, but just hate to get rid of it.
    Our working dozer is a D-6B. We as have a D-6 9U , parts dozer and a TD-9 International with a hHough loader. Only the D6-B runs at this time.......I always had a thing for track layers!

Bones

21. We have a nother D4 its a wide guage 1949 D4 7U it has the same pistons liners rods & stroke as your D6 9U old its a 4 cyl. we also have a TD14A international cable dozer and another for parts , and a Cletrac HG5. Where the little 7J D4 was setting it wasn't possible to get a semi truck. even with the powerdivider in a semi couldn't climd the hills it would spin out. and there where low weight bridges. So I by necessity had to move it the way I did. If I had got it running I would have walked it out. Grayson cat driver 003.JPG

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. DosCoupe

DosCoupe

I don't know if this qualifies, but I saw it at a local show in central. 20190901_114722.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Here's a model A Ford we brought home last month. Franklin doodlebugs 001.JPG

24. If you old D9 is a 18A those stick shift nines where made for real men to operate. No wennie wuss had the stamina to run one for ten hours straight.

Boneyard51 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yep! It is a man killer all right! We just ran it a few hours at a time. But during those few hours we got a lot of land cleared, with that 14 foot wide blade. But we did have a few trees that would stop it in its tracks! My Dad was a real good operator, he was the last to operate it on the West pasture when he was eighty years old.

Bones

26. some of those old guys where still on top of their game at advanced age. in 1992 I was operating a road grader on a road const job. and the trans went down on the D8 K 77V push cat. Only so many working days to complete the job so pressed for time. The owner of the company went to a retired former contractor wanting to buy or rent his D8 H. the guy did not want to sell . But stated that only one guy had ever operated the D8H since it was new and if he could get him to operate it the D8 could be rented. So the operator who was 78 years old came and put in 12 hour days 6 days per week until we got all the dirt moved. That guy was dam good. The 8H had a big ripper on the back and the owner was afraid of someone gutting the trans if they put it in a hard bind.

crashfarmer and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The key to success is the operator! Here on the ranch we always ran old equipment and they were fragile! If operated at a moderate level they would give good service. That old D-9 only saw low gear and reverse here on the ranch and was not roadbed all over the place. It stayed on the West pasture five years before coming back home. I was know as a youngun to be able to get the last drop, so to say, out of a piece of equipment. Had to , to get anything done!
    Dozers are one of the easiest pieces of equipment to tear up! Just because they’re big, doesn’t relate to being tough! Most folks don’t understand that. The guy with the D-8 did.

Bones

Old wolf and Okie Pete like this.
  28. Yes If you was the person who had to fix them you tried to not break them. Everything I have is old I can get along just fine with them. However eventually everything wears out and somethimes shit happens. The fuel line on my 301 kept clogging. rust in the tank and filter. I pulled the tank & flushed it with water. got a considerable amount of rusty crap out. I will put a magnet in the tank and a screen over the pickup tube. I have a inline filter and a settlement bulb. Should be Ok now? boys n tree 004.JPG

Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. 1953naegle

1953naegle

We had a Ford 8n or 9n growing up but sold it when we moved to Texas. I still remember riding around our place sitting in my dads lap.

We moved our shop 3 years ago and have around 4 acres around usnto keep up (in city limits too), so I've been on the lookout for an old tractor. A Ford like we had would be nice, but anything old would work too. It would mainly be used for mowing, grading, wood chipper, and dragging stuff around. The wood chipper would take some horsepower so it would need to be bigger than an old farmall cub.

Some of the other posts on here got me thinking though. I've read some old popular mechanics books about building a tractor out of spair parts. We still have my brothers 59' Chevy Apache 3/4 ton chassis and motor (235 straight 6).... if I added some gearing to it and chopped the frame down, it might make for an interesting project.....

Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  30. they would use two transmissions so they had lower gears. put both transmissions in reverse and you went foreward.

Okie Pete, Boneyard51 and 1953naegle like this.