Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical P'dd off...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1Nimrod, May 10, 2019.

1. I know I live in the rural south.
    My local machine shop is a one man operation. The shop is probably around 500 sqf. Old but well maintained ancient equipment. The shop has a small path down the canter for walking that’s not stacked full of heads and blocks.
    The last 350 was around $1300. A freebie Fred Jones reman from the 80s and some pull a part heads.
    Bores were fine. It was honed, vated, new cam bearings, crank turned, and freeze plugs. Oil pump, rings rod and mains all new. The heads are 462s, they got new springs, hard exhaust seats, guides and stock steel valves and seals. Cam, lifters, rocker arms, and pushrods new.
    Nothing fancy, not a race engine. No crazy machine work. Just a simple rebuild.
    Then assembled by teenagers

Your ingine “ builder” has no excuses.

1Nimrod, Hombre, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  2. X-cpe

X-cpe

And Bubba would have taken a big old pry bar, proved you wrong, and sent you on your merry way with a "They's suppos'ta be that way when they's new."

3. Ok here is another "two cents" to think about.

As already pointed out above, you will get screwed even worse by an attorney. Forget that.

If you let that shop get anywhere close to your engine, even if they were to offer to rebuild it free, you will be worried that it will blow up every time you crank it up.
    Forget that.

You could try to go to small claims court, as already mentioned, but that doesn't mean you would win, and I doubt that you are feeling like carting parts to the courthouse. Though if you get an "honest" Judge, you might have a chance to win. Here in Texas, just because a person wins doesn't mean that the check is in the mail. That plan is a tossup.

Threats and violence work in the drug business, but not in this case.
    Forget that. ( but I'm sure you will lay awake at night dreaming about it. I sure as hell would.)

Here is the thing. Building in engine especially a small block Chevy isn't that difficult. In addition it's very emotionally satisfying especially the moment it cranks up to say to yourself OUT LOUD "I BUILT THAT". Most of you guys I believe would agree that it's nearly orgasmic! ( the moment that my 383 fired off - that went into The Judge I can assure you that I was right on the verge hahaha)

I read of number of responses where guys are willing to help and if you were close, I surely would.

I surely understand the limited cash flow situation as I too am living on Social Security.

So there you sit with a bunch of parts that are not broken and/or otherwise Beyond repair or cleaning up. That sounds like a pretty dang good starting point.

It sounds like there are plenty of hambers around your neck of the woods that will be glad to pitch in a bit here and a bit there, but if you do the final assembly and do all your own torqueing, you will probably be a very happy old man just like me!

So come on hambers get this guy a local shop to clean up those heads or get him some new heads, lend him some feeler gauges, some micrometers, Dremel grinders, thread Chasers, tapping kit, ( we know he's already got a torque wrench), buy him some plastigage, and I bet most of you guys have extra gaskets laying around.

Y'all could make this a weekend party for the locals! Beer to be reserved for the end of the day!

Chalk it all up for a great learning experience and get that thing hauling ass down the road!!!!!!!

4. ^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^

Chavezk21, 1Nimrod and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Yes the cam did have a gray looking break-in lube on it and the bottom of the lifter's a goodly amount. The rocker balls had white lube but the rocker bolt's should have been replaced I could almost trun them out with my fingers. Thank you for your offer I'm kinda bummed out at the moment cuz I'm sure it will not end in my favor and taking the engine back to them will never happen. I have two son-in-laws that are Master Mechanics so tools are no problem they helped me with the engine but there time is needed at there shops good people. Thanks again for all your advice everyone...
    1Nimrod

Deuces likes this.
  6. Deuces, Hombre, 1Nimrod and 1 other person like this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^I too, was going to say, take it to your State's Attorney Generals Office"^^^. I've actually done that a couple of times, and got help each time. The other thing I was going to mention is, Michigan is on "push" to get tourism to the state; "Pure Michigan" (not sure what that actually means), and it's being aired on commercials on TV here in Washington State. No one wants BAD publicity; so even more reason for someone with your State to get involved; just a thought. My own Automotive Machinist, I've known for FORTY NINE YEARS!!! I trust him completely, and he's a one-man-show, so it takes a while sometimes. He had my BBC short block for just over 2 months, but he also delivered it when he was done! He has everything he needs, including a crankshaft grinding machine, that other shops send cranks to him for work, AND an engine dynonometer. He does virtually all my work, and I really appreciate him; you listening Dave Payton, Performance Automotive Machine? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not have the HAMB members send these guys a few notes saying we have seen their work and it's a chickenshit deal that they have pulled on you. Maybe a few dozen emails from a few dozen different members would help turn the tide in your favor. Hell, even sending the owner a link to this thread might be all it takes.
    If I'd have had an experience with a machine shop that turned out his bad, their name, address, phone number and email would be all over the HAMB, and the social media gearhead groups I belong to.

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Strength in numbers... I'm in!

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

craig b blue and Deuces like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

I've done that plenty of times.... Works like a charm!
    Make sure you check the journal diameter every couple of minutes... Also, use good quality 3M wet er dry sand paper..... ;)

11. Them guys in Cuba keep these things going with nothing.

rpm56, VANDENPLAS, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, they still run leaded gas down there!

13. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

shovelheadrider; Thank you for this information... God Willing between those two I'm hoping I can get some results and satisfaction if they will help. Thanks again y'all... And to all The Grandmother's Mother's Daughter's and Sister's who have little One's "Happy Mother's Day" Ladies may you all have a wonderful happy fun beautiful safe day with your families and God Bless You All.... Thank You Mother's everywhere....
    1Nimrod

14. That is really bad. I started building engines in HS, went onto automotive school and learned a lot more. I had a parts store that had a machine shop out back and the guy that ran it knew his shit. I was only 19, but could pick the guy's brain to gain knowledge. He just about walked me through setting a crankshaft, installing the pistons and rods. He was a total bug on having the engine spin easily once it was put together. This sounds like you got stuck with a real meatball operation and EVERY part in the engine is now suspect. If all fails, set up a Go Fund Me, I will gladly donate to it.

Deuces, Truckdoctor Andy and 1Nimrod like this.
  15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

A. It’s not a smear if you just say so and so shop did this or put this together this way and it’s factually true without any opinion on your part, smart people can decide for themselves

B. Lawyer would eat any money you would potentially receive I suspect , however it may be worth a 100 or whatever to have a lawyer write up a letter on his letter head and put the fear of god into them , maybe they will pay up to make you go away

C. You would need opinion of a expert to explain to the judge how the work was subpar an way lower than industry standard , however if you were charged for stainless valves and things but can prove you didn’t get that that would be on other issue of misrepresentation

Deuces likes this.
  16. The problem I have found with most current operating machine shops is they think their customers are stupid! Here in extreme eastern W.Va. most old school machine shops are long gone. I have a race type motor I built. I took block, heads & crank to a 'dirt racer' machine shop in H-town, Md. because they had a good reputation. I went to get my parts, the block was standing on end & right away l noticed the front cam bearing oiling hole was slightly off-center. The counter guy told me they do 'em that way to restrict oil flow & to spread oil flow out more evenly!!!!!!o_O I asked to see the machinist. He stated that it was an accident & since it was going to be a street motor it would be fine!?:mad: He said January was their busiest month getting 'regular' dirt customers going for the season. I told him this was going to be a high rpm motor in a drag car that happened to have license plates. He did apologize & said he didn't have time then to fix it & told counter jockey to knock $50 off of my bill. This is closest shop & it's a 90 mile round trip. Good luck !Nimrod with your deal. These same guys got welder slag on a crank that belonged to a friend but that's another story.:confused:

Deuces likes this.
  17. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

I just talked to machine shop. He said he used regular motor oil on all the bearings and it must of dripped off from setting to long and just could not believe there where any marks on the crank. I asked him didn't you clean up my crank before you assembled it and he said did I turn it? I said no you did not turn it you put it on your crank machine and used a very fine emery belt to clean the journals,at which he stopped talking about the crank. And he could not figure out how I could check to see if the head bolt's and main bolts was not torqued right and then became very unprofessional he started cussing after talking with me in about the first minute. I calmly said to him I'm not cussing at you so please don't cuss at me. I answered his question by telling him my son-in-law is a master mechanic and used his snap-on torque wrench and again said I can't believe that... He said what can I do for you then I said give me a new gasket set new bearing set for Rod's an Main bearings and cover the cost of getting the crank turned at another shop in which he said some cuss words and said that's not going to happen and he wants to see the crank before he does anything and then he sayed I'll turn the crank and do the other stuff I asked for and I said your not doing anymore work on my engine again and that really Pded him off and got angry with me and said I'm not going to do anything for you until I see the crank. So I told him I'd bring up the crank and other parts for him to inspect but I'm not leaving them with him. So my next step is I have to drive all the way to the machine shop and most likely will not get anything out of it all. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again...
    1Nimrod

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  18. you’re going to need to get him interested in resolving the issue

You could appeal to his integrity
    You could appeal to his reputation
    You need to appeal to something he does possess, values, and wants to keep.

48fordnut, safetythird, XXL__ and 6 others like this.
  19. Hombre

Hombre

31Vicky, Man you nailed that to the letter. I hope 1Nimrod reads that post of your's a couple of times before his next meeting with this guy. Great advice!

31Vicky with a hemi and F-ONE like this.
  20. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds like this man has none of these qualities. I think 1nimrod would have better luck squeezing water out of a rock. It's a shame that some people have no value's anymore.

1Nimrod and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  21. X-cpe

X-cpe

1Nimrod needs to bring a very large, ornery looking friend. After all Nimrod needs help moving these heavy parts. Friend never says a word. Just stands there close and in full view of machinist with his arms folded across his chest. Arrange a high sign. When Nimrod makes a salient point, high sign and friend nods his head. Machinist starts spreading manure, high sign and friend scowls. Machinist points to something, friend steps in real close as if to inspect.

Tim_with_a_T, raven and Chappy444 like this.
  22. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can remember a point in time when this would have worked. Now-a-days, there's too many pussy's hiding behind smart phone's recording everything for this to be effective! What a sad state of affairs!

craig b blue, iwanaflattie and Hombre like this.
  23. That could be the case on his lack of or character flaws.
    Nonetheless he does have something,,,

Maybe down on the lowest of low level primal instinct and everything above that is non existent- it’s self preservation and being in one piece. At that point there’s no hope for the engine or solving the issues at hand. Just creating new issues and there’s no good to come of it

1Nimrod, Hombre and 427 sleeper like this.
  24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^ How true...^^^^^

31Vicky with a hemi and Hombre like this.
  25. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

He’s already failed the integrity test.
    Reputation might be good, but seems undeserved if so.

Good luck. You’re going to need it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod, 427 sleeper and Hombre like this.
  26. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Hombre; Yes Sir I've read it and all the others. thanks again everyone for all your support an help I will let you all know what happens. There's always hope for everyone and it did make him stop and think about the way he was persenting himself when I asked him to stop cussing at me but then he did some more but very hesitant and did show remorse from what I could tell over the phone. With out Hope we'd all be nowhere...
    1Nimrod

Hombre and s55mercury66 like this.
  27. I'm funny with engine work that I send out. For the stock cars when we had money, there was a local machine shop that was excellent. The owner passed away and the business dissolved. The previous shop I mentioned had gone out of business by then.

My latest build was done by a shop that has been around since 1964. In the same location since 1968, he does drag engines, stock car engines, boat, regular car, exotic car and even airplane engines. The guy is like 75 by now, he had his heart attack and surgery 4 months after mine. We have a kinship since I'm a machinist by trade. So we get along well. The shop is clean, organized and has a good backlog of work. I've sent friends to him as well in recent years and he will be doing my big block if he's still around and not retired. He has people there that I'm sure could take it over.

I would not deal with a shop that has a non-working manager. I prefer to deal with working owners only, you can tell by looking at their hands and fingernails. I always have a couple of other shops in mind in case something changes in the future.

1Nimrod, Truckdoctor Andy and Hombre like this.
  28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Find some friends to help you. Get the crank turned, let me know the sizes and I will furnish the rod and main bearings. Maybe some one else will come up with a gasket set. Ck the rings for end gap and they should be good. Keep me posted and I will keep my word on the bearings.

kadillackid, 1Nimrod, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  29. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Have to wait for my Son to stop over to help me get the crank out of the engine and heads and crank into our vehicle so I can run them up to the shop, it's going to be a long day when I run up to the shop hopefully it won't be a wast of my time and gas. Hopefully this weekend my Son will visit and help me. Thanks again everyone for all the advice and support.
    1Nimrod

kadillackid likes this.