Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gary Howard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 7, 2019.

1. pumpman

pumpman

RIP Gary. Great job boss.

Stogy likes this.
  2. sunray

sunray

I was privileged to know Gary. I just saw him at the Wimberley show. He was the calmest, coolest, most talented custom builder I ever met. He really knew how to build a car in a style that is unlike any other. He will be remembered and missed by us all.

Stogy likes this.
  3. sololobo

sololobo

Nice words about this great man. When I met him we were both looking at a custom at the Round Up. I mentioned being from Omaha, and he said he had lived near there in Iowa, then we introduced ourselves and I was in shock to meet Gary Howard, I told him how much I liked his work and he was so humble about it. Another legend lost.

Thor1 likes this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, Ryan...I'm so sorry. Tears for you and others who loved him.
    I know you already know this, but I'll say it anyway.
    It's one of the best things some of the guys expressed to me when I lost Sandy.
    Something like...
    "I'm so sorry for your loss, but at the same time, I'm envious of the love you shared...of which not all are lucky enough to find."
    And that's why it hurts so much. We feel that the love is gone. But it's not. They still love us. We still love them. That's forever.
    I'm gonna be presumptuous here and speak for all us...
    We love you too, Ryan. Seriously.

KJSR, NoSurf and Thor1 like this.
  5. Nice read.....glad he didn't suffer long and take heart he has joined some others that went before him.

6. Clevername

Clevername

Touched by your eulogy, sorry for your (our?) loss.

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm learning more and more as I get older that it's about the people that make this hobby go round, and the cars are just a bonus. When you have a guy like Gary that was a great person and also a great builder, well... Guys like Gary are what make this car thing so much fun.

Ryan, you're very lucky to have known him. Do any of his coined phrases or key building ideas that he taught you stand out? If you could share, if you're able to at this time, it would be really neat to know a bit more about him!

Sancho likes this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Been away from the Hamb for a few days and this is the first thead I opened up. Scan0623.jpg Here is a pic of his 52 Ford taken in Des Moines KKOA show in 84. Met him later that year. Got to watch him get inducted into the KKOA Hall Of Fame. One of his brothers traveled with us down to Salina that year. One of the things I noticed both of them did was to rub back and forth with their backs against a tree`s bark to scratch their backs. Kinda weird the strange things you remember about a person.

9. catdad49

catdad49

A True Talent, my condolences to his Family and Friends. Thank You Ryan for sharing your thoughts and the burden of your loss. We are here for you!

10. 64polarbear

64polarbear

As a Funeral Director, its not very often my hobbies overflow into my work life (especially with cars), but when it did in arranging Gary's services, it made it so much more of an honor to serve Gary's family in their time of need. Such a fitting celebration of his life honoring him. I never knew Gary personally, but after hearing all the stories from his friends and family I truly wish I had met him. The automotive world will never be the same.
    https://www.tributeslides.com/tributes/show/ZTFK46X2LD6TXMKX

11. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Beautiful tribute to a true gentleman. I only had 4 or 5 conversations with Gary over the past 15 years or so, but he was definitely one of the nicest guys. Loved his cars of course. Me and my sons were lucky enough to visit his shop once and see his works in progress. What an honor that was! Condolences to his family, and the many friends that loved him.

12. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Come celebrate Gary's life with on Nov 10th at Albert Ice House and Dance Hall in Albert Texas
    go to www.garyhowardcustoms.com/celebrate for all the details. You might even drive home in a 1941 Mercury !!

stanlow69, OG lil E and drdave like this.
  13. Silva

Silva

I came across an old hard drive with photographs that got me reminiscing...
    Reflecting on my time in Austin, people and places that left an impression on me.
    I came across this photo I took from the passenger seat of "El Jefe's" Merc.
    Gary Howard driving Jimmie's 54 on the way to Salina, Ks.
    Godspeed Gary.

JV54.jpg

El Hueso, drdave, OG lil E and 7 others like this.