Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

That’s funny I had to look at the picture for a bit and then I spotted the old pic of the coupe back in the day. Ha ha too funny

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31chevymike, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Took Dad for his first cruise today out to a buddies. A whole lot nicer today than yesterday that’s for sure. Think he’s happy with the final result. He’s happy at this point in his life to sit beside me and just cruise although I think I have peer pressured him enough to pull his corvette outta his storage and drive it!! We shall see.
    IMG_8565.JPG IMG_8566.JPG

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was that the first time time in a Model A for him...they are different especially if life has revolved around the bigger 50s autos...

The power factor itself must be pretty impressive...heck they made songs about it...;)

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  4. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Coupe looks cool Fitness....but I can’t tell which one you are in the pic!!! :D:p

5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

No him and my uncle drove around in all kinds of early fords back in the day. They grew up in the Kootenays in a very small town with lots of ranches so lots of old cars and trucks were prevalent from the farms and ranches. Ya when I step into the secondaries she pulls pretty good.

31chevymike, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Well we’re both pretty damn handsome so I can see how u would get confused...

31chevymike, raven, wackdaddy and 4 others like this.
  7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

New bases arrived today from Vintage speed. Have to say they are night and day better than the speedway units, not only with the throttle blades but they have a much nicer return spring and superior machining as well. I know VS got some not so favourable comments from some of you guys but the quality of the product is significantly better and the service i got from them was nothing but good. Perhaps they have learned from some of their past performances. These bases will bleed zero air. Now i can really dial the motor in and do some nice smokey burnouts!! :D:D

31chevymike, woodz, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Is this another optical illusion?
    Maybe it’s just the picture, the angle of the picture, my eyes or my brain but... :D

Am I the only one who sees the grille shell leaning slightly to the right side?
    It appears to be tilted off center when trying to lineup the top of the grille with the middle of the cowl vent.
    And it appears that there is more of the cowl visible to the passenger side of the grille shell and less on the driver’s side.
    If it’s an optical illusion it’s a good one :D
    :confused: :D

Beautiful coupe.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Just the angle of the pic that I took. I spent A LOT of time setting up the grille, headlight bar, shock mounts etc making sure it was balanced and even. I’m OCD that way

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Too funny

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Darned optical illusions :D
    OCD similar to me on my build :D

31chevymike, Fitnessguy and Stogy like this.
  13. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Thats a bloody cool A coupe.

14. Nice car indeed. Congrats on getting it on the road.

In the video in post 1093 I spotted the Super 8 I've stayed in on my way through to the homestead in Surrey many a time. The DQ and Shell hold some fond memories too. Small world.

Sure glad you abandoned the satin clear on your build. I'm sure I don't have to say it, but keep it between the ditches and ENJOY!

15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks man. You should sell that homestead in the big city that’s worth 20 million now and move up to God’s country where the air is cleaner and there’s a whole lot less traffic!!

16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Think this look suits the build just a little better. Still need to weld in some mounting bolts, smooth out the little tubing bender marks and give her a buff of course. What’s that sayin bout a hot rod never being done?! Ha ha
    IMG_8621.JPG

woodz, 31chevymike, brEad and 4 others like this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got the front bar finished on the weekend and took the coupe to her first show n shine on Sunday. 409 got lots of love. Dad was laughing at me saying i must be tired after the show. He said you didn't stop talking to people the whole time we were there. First time out in town at an event so to be expected.

IMG_8636.jpg IMG_8637.jpg IMG_9340.JPEG

18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Now you get to really reap in the rewards of showin' off your first hot rod build!

Stogy, loudbang and Fitnessguy like this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m looking forward to that myself in the near future :cool:
    It has to be a great feeling. Of course driving it will be right up there too :D

20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got a couple good short cruises in yesterday and today in between iffy weather. She’s running pretty good so I’m happy for the most part. Has a tiny miss every now and then which may just be a sticky valve guide. Still going to put some phenolic spacers on the carbs which just arrived Friday and bump the jets up a touch. Takes time to get everything dialed but for only having a couple hundred miles on her I couldn’t ask for more.

IMG_8803.JPG IMG_8807.JPG IMG_8810.JPG

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Beautiful...happy for you...;)

22. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

The pursuit of a better tune continues. Pulling the carbs to install longer carb studs as I am adding phenolic spacers to help keep the carbs cool like a few guys suggested. Can’t hurt the way I look at it. Also bumping the jets up. Spent some time chatting with a few guys on the 348-409 site talking about jetting on the tri powers for them and with the few little characteristics still with the motor we’re thinking it needs just a little more fuel. With no fenders the job is made a lot easier!! I ordered the spacers and jets from quadrajetparts.com Seems like decent pricing and all the right parts in stock.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

23. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Skipped work this morning and went for a visit and cruise with my buddy @fastcutcnc in town They have a sweet shop and manufacture top of the line CNC plasma tables. Have become friends with the Welderup and Kounts Kustoms guys in Vegas and supplied them both big tables which will actually be promoted in upcoming episodes. They are shipping tables all over the world now. Always happy to see someone i grew up with have real success. They bust their ass for all the customers they have!

IMG_9041.JPG

31chevymike, brEad, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your Hotrods all together but I remember some pieces that I had that didn't think they were Model A...
    apparently they are...Did you figure that out I just did now...:eek:

[​IMG]

Quoted Description

"Header strips fit on the body at the top of door openings and hold the door lacing in place.

The square hole goes at the rear , and is for the upper rubber bumper."

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-door-top-plate.1153436/#post-13120293

25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes sir I did have them and they are installed. Had to chase the threads on a couple holes and I still had to fight them but I won in the end!

31chevymike, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Now that I basically have everything happy I sure have enjoyed a few good cruises. The little coupe gets a lot of attention which is always fun. People ask a lot of questions which I’m happy to answer.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fitness the pics are awesome...Hotrod looks fantastic...

So your on Full Tri Power?...being around power all these years how do you feel about the Vintage power in that light Hotrod...quite incredible about these blasting down the tarmac, salt or dirt with those Huffers under the hood...:D...I'll bet a huge number of these A-Coupes rounded out their being at the Jalopy Racing...

Glad your having fun...keep on sharing the good times...;)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019