Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with gauge panel ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, May 11, 2019.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Next step in my '28 highboy update is the dash. I just got my new '32 style dash and a new upper rail. I got my new SW gauges but I sure would like to include the center panel shown in the picture below. Can anyone tell what it is and maybe where I can get one ?
    Same goes for the wiper motor and the steering wheel. The wheel is shallower than most I've seen available today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1884.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I'm thinking maybe Dussenberg on the gauge cluster, and MOON or Grant on the wheel.

bchctybob likes this.
  3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Isn't that just a standard vacuum wiper motor that's been polished (maybe plated) and mounted upside down? Probably from a smaller car, maybe? Looks smaller than the one I took out of my '51 Club Coupe.

bchctybob likes this.
  4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Looks like a vacuum wiper motor Bob...You sure you want that?

bchctybob likes this.

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Bob pretty sure thats a vintage stewart warner accessory gauge panel .

kidcampbell71 and bchctybob like this.
  6. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

The gauge insert looks to me like a Stewart Warner from back in the day. It may be some other aftermarket brand. There is a thread on here aptly named Stewart Warner Gauge Panels.

bchctybob likes this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Damn if it doesn't look like an upside down vacuum wiper motor!
    I bought some materials to try to recreate that gauge panel, I was hoping one would surface before I start. You know how stuff can show up on the HAMB.

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

9. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Wiper motor appears to be 32 Ford open car, mounted down on windshield frame instead of up at the top as usual. May have reworked the internals for it to wipe properly. Deluxe open car wiper motors were chrome plated.

bchctybob likes this.
  10. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Thiers one on P.3 of the same thread that looks more like it.(Lower Right)
    [​IMG]

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks Gems. I checked out the link and the only one that looks close is that "Twin Screw" version. Maybe it's a rear load panel and that's why the edge looks fatter.
    Thanks Old tin, I'll bet you're right. Are they reproduced or available somewhere? Vacuum or not I want to look into it closer before I decide for or against it.
    Someone mentioned Moon and it triggered a long lost memory, so I went looking in my parts stash for my boat and sure enough I have a new Moon wheel in white but it's too small and too deep. Dang.

Speed Gems likes this.
  12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks to the HAMB I may have found the gauge panel. Does anyone recognize the E-brake handle?

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks Lumpy, you were right. Rex Marine has the Covico white vinyl steering wheels in 14.5 standard and deep dish with stainless spokes. I had no idea Covico was back, I thought they got bought up back in the '70s. I gotta get out more.....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

16. alchemy

alchemy

Some big truck manufacturers used that panel in their trucks but mounted them from behind. Same part as hot rodders mounted from the front.

bchctybob likes this.