Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical mopar flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by krazy kat, May 11, 2019.

1. krazy kat

krazy kat

anyone have a line on a running 230 dodge flathead , or at least a good block and crank ,i have two bad cyl ,rust with deep pitting on m 218, i would like to replace with 230 ,my other problem is I'm in fl. have hard time finding shippers ,it doesn't seem anyone is running mopar flatheads in my area, any suggestions,

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Flatties were used up to 1959 in Dodge and Plymouth cars, up to 1962 in trucks especially larger trucks like 1 1/2 ton and larger. They made a lot of industrial and marine engines too, I have an industrial engine in my back yard and just a week or 2 ago, spotted two in combine harvesters at a local junk yard. Since I live in Canada this is not going to do you any good, I tell you this for information.
    As you live in Florida don't overlook junk boats or marinas. They made a lot of Chrysler Marine flatheads, one or two could be laying in the bottom of an old boat near you.
    The larger Chrysler/DeSoto flathead will fit a Dodge or Plymouth with a little work, mainly moving the motor mounts 2" forward and mounting the rad in front of the rad support.
    Try running an ad in Facebook or Craigslist. You never know your luck. Someone may be swapping out a flatty for an OHV V8 not far from you.

3. PackardV8

PackardV8

We've probably got a good core. Building it right costs about $3,000 these days, but it would be better than anything Mother Mopar ever sent down the line.

jack vines

4. hkestes

hkestes

I found my 59 model 230 just as Rusty suggests. A guy was putting a 318 in a 59 Plymouth and I bought the 230 with transmission for $150. Pulled the head on it and the engine was a nearly new rebuild. Called the guy I bought it from and asked if he knew the condition of the engine and he said that the person he bought the car from said that then engine had been rebuilt but he didn't say it was recent. There was no carbon on top of the pistons and still had some light checking on the cylinder walls.

I have a 218 in my garage right now that was in my 48 until it broke the head off a valve. You can have it if you can figure out a way to get it to Florida. It is missing the head and intake/exhaust manifolds. It would need some work but it would be a starting point.

5. krazy kat

krazy kat

Thank for your generous offer of the 218 i would jump on it in a minute if it was closer by, but again the shipping thing ,someone has to crate the engine ,and find a company that has lift gate service, i have not had much luck with this , i have found a engine in pennsylvania ,couldn't get it shipped, same was offered engine for sale,in arkansas couldn't find a shipper, so it's a little discouraging, but again Thank you.

6. With regards to shipping, if you can get it banded on to a pallet, Fastenal can often provide shipping at cost less than others. Only challenge would be getting it from the nearest store to your home/shop.

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

One thing you have to remember about Mopar guys. They don`t get rid of anything. When you see someone with an early Mopar, ask them if they have any leads. You will be surprised what you will find.