Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '29 coupe gas tank and cowl panel reassembly issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XtechX, May 10, 2019.

1. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

I'm trying to put my gas tank and cowl panels back together on my 29 coupe and it's not going so well. I am using a different tank but still a stock one that's had the bottom cut out for space under the dash, but just to see if there's any differences I also tried it's original tank and the alignment is still not going smooth.
    I have aftermarket cowl panels and have tried the original panels too, still no luck.
    It's becoming very frustrating.
    If anyone has had this issue, are there any tips the you could share to help me get things aligned correctly?

2. Pics would help a little bit. Hard to understand what your fitment issues are.

The '28/'29 tanks should be basically the same.

3. Not sure why the old cowl panels wouldn't work, but the new ones - at least the ones I bought - lacked the curvature at the top rear, and weren't a sharp enough bend at the top, where they bolt to the bottom of the tank. I had to carefully work them to get them right. The cowl panels also were spot-welded to the firewall in the original, and that's a pain in the ass to deal with, so some warpage may have occurred on disassembly.