Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trash in paint, getting ready to slit my wrists

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 23, 2019.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

I rarely ever post on these paint threads and liked it when Paint Guru was on the HAMB as he was pretty decent with his advice. I have been painting since 1964 and did show work, fleet work and production work for GM. After that I did some paint consulting for them and for Greyhound (Transportation Manufacturing Co. in Roswell NM when they bought GM’s Bus line which was all shot with catalyzed systems). I dealt with paint problems with catalyzed paints on a daily basis for about 5 years. That being said it can be hard to diagnose paint problems over a computer screen. Hardener cost a bunch but the labor costs (and wasted time) are often worse so sometimes it pays to toss hardener after a few days IMO. Sometimes refrigerating can help but that goes only so far.

It sounds like you are going to go thru a great deal of work and I believe you should take one more stab at it without making too many adjustments. In my opinion it looks like there was a chemical reaction with the hardener-probably due to age. Why not sand down the surface as good as possible and reshoot with brand new catalyst? If after sanding down if you still see evidence of craters then I would consider plan B which may be to remove what you have. If you are waiting for better temps you should be out of the recoat window that can also cause problems. I would wait for better temps though as I found shooting below an ambient temperature of 70 degrees is asking for problems with quality paint jobs. You should know right off the bat if you have further problems. I think it is worth the chance.

By the way it looks as though your system is pretty decent. I have always been a huge fan of galvanized pipe as it helps dissipates the heat from the compressor, especially in high humidity situations. I always insisted on it when setting up paint systems. With proper filter(s) you should be good to go. I have the same pipe in my home shop as well.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

It has 2 water/oil separators, then a 5 lb desiccant dryer, then another water trap.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I pulled some of the piping down to install the water traps and it looks like it did when I installed it.

loudbang likes this.
  4. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Do you let your hoses lay on the floor. If so condensation can be built up in the hose too. I always hang mine.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Best thing I ever did to my air supply set-up was install a cheapie ( less than $425.00 shipped to my door) Harbor Freight electronic air dryer. Been 3 years and 100% trouble free and zero moisture in my system. Helps to have a best friend from High School who's a car guy and 100_2188.JPG master plumber also !

mrhp, loudbang and Oldioron like this.
  6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I may have missed it but what kind of gun and what air pressure are you shooting at? Lippy

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a Sata 2000 with a 1.4 tip and I spray around 35 lbs at the gauge.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Mainly because of the high gloss, I was going to ask if it was POR-15 you were using, but that does not utilize a catalyst. I know from experience Por-15 will look like what you have if painted on a high humidity day.......even worse., But I am curious why your primer has so much gloss, never saw that before.
    I agree with the many that said first suspect is the catalyst, and also highly recommend both solvent and water based cleaners.
    What is your shop temperature at when spraying? Lower temps require longer flash times.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  9. jazz1

jazz1

I found Kirker to be higher gloss as a epoxy primer although I have never had the issues the OP is having with any primer or paint. I could only guess its the product, either the catalyst or the paint. OP has gone to great lengths with equipment to avoid this problem from the usual sources.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

It doesn't hold the gloss after it dries. It looks sort of like the black that comes on Chinese replacement fenders etc.

jazz1 and loudbang like this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

loudbang likes this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Fortunateson, maybe a poor choice of words-I imagine he is still out there but I have not seen him post in awhile. Hopefully he will chime in-I consider him an asset on matters of paint.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah, I bet he'll have something interesting to say...

loudbang likes this.
  14. ERguitar

ERguitar

Not a paint guru by any means but I bough some mixing cups once and didn't rinse them before using them.
    Had a similar result, took a while to figure it out but I suspect that there was some sort of release agent on the cups from manufacturing that reacted with the paint.

jazz1, loudbang and BJR like this.
  15. jazz1

jazz1

Your best mixing cups are found in the kitchen. Pyrex glass mixing cups, easy to clean and lacquer thinner won't wash the measurement # off.

BigChief and Roothawg like this.
  16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Alternatively, there are cheap plastic ones at the feed store with mixing ratios printed on them, like 4:1:1.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. I didn't read the whole thread, but here are a few issues I've had:
    1.) My air hose was deteriorating even though it was new. Put a filter between the gun and the line-Problem solved
    2.) Spraying with an older gun (non HVLP), the gasket was crap, so little chunks were dropping into the cup (likely not your problem)
    3.) Wax and Grease remover was crap. Even though it dried and flashed off, it still caused lifting. I switched to rubbing alcohol to prep and had no issues.

jazz1 likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had an issue once with adhesion on one of my squirt jobs. I peeled off a section with the a blade and sent it to DuPont for analysis. Came back that there was the presence of silicon between the primer and color coat. I stripped that entire vette with a razor blade and the longest continuous sheet was the entire hood that we peeled off and had as a wall hanger for a while.

Maybe send in a sample of that nasty page one photo? It is not likely an intermittent system issue (water, in-line contamination) as you have shot the cab sucessfully. I'm leaning toward a defect in the chemistry (paint, hardener, contamination, etc).

19. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I would suggest mixing a small amount brushing it out if it checks out it's not the product. It looks like from the pictures oil and water from the compressor got to it. Flush the gun with the proper thinner. I would try thinner coats little more flash time in between. And the old factory standby ':airborne contamination", WD-40 rust bust etc. lastly check the wax and grease remover. I love my turbine sprayer, one day I shot this clear with my compressor and it looked very similar to your photos. I dumped it into the turbine came out perfect.I hope this helps

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

UPDATE####################################
    I ordered some new primer, problem went away. I agree with those that said the activator went south. Just wanted to close the loop on this. I know we all have a tendency to rant when we have problems but never let anyone know what fixes the problem. V4nJWA+8TSa3n58PMJJ7Ew.jpg WQBjG0krR2mpjGDis4ZFGg.jpg

Xtrom, jimgoetz, waxhead and 5 others like this.
  21. Good deal, glad it all worked out in the end.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. jazz1

jazz1

I had issue with DUPLICOLOR precleaner. It smelled like acetone but took forever to dry. I'll be back to RM precleaner.

Roothawg likes this.
  23. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Thanks ! Too many people never post when they finally get an answer to their problem. I'm happy for you paint problems can drive you nuts.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

******Update on an Update*******

After much head scratching with the problem coming and going, it was determined that air compressor was leaking by and oil contaminants were traveling through the line. I broke down and bought a new compressor after 25 years of use. It is like driving a Cadillac compared to a Yugo.

Blues4U, The37Kid, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  25. sunbeam

sunbeam

One thing I always do is wet down the floor to keep dust down.

Roothawg likes this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Funny. I usually wet down the floor and the whole freaking yard. It’s never from lack of trying.