Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Paint or undercoat on bottom of floors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4EyedTurd, May 11, 2019.

1. 4EyedTurd

4EyedTurd
    from Texas

Just about finished installing new floor pans and now I’m contemplating either just paint or maybe some kind of undercoat. Being in Texas I don’t have to worry about salt but adding any extra thing for a more comfortable or quiet ride seems worth it. What you guys’ opinion? I’ve already picked up some sound deadner mat for the inside of the car.

2. I guess it depends on how much detail you are doing underneath. If it's a show car I would paint. For a driver I would undercoat...

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Anyone use the over priced lizardskin for this? I'd like to use it under the body of my 31 Tudor but can't justify the price.

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I like to use rubberized undercoating, but I live where rust never sleeps. The undercoating really helps with sound deadening also.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Like mentioned, if its a show car paint it.

I shot undercoat on the inside, and covered it with sound deadener and painted the underside of my 57. Plenty quiet. And it looks better when you peep under her dress

loudbang likes this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Whatever you do use a good epoxy primer first!

7. Do not use lizard skin for undercoat it goes up like gas if you have a short in wireing use paint lost a custom 56 to this and will never use it again, small short cought undercoating on fire almost burnt down house, thought it was a gas fire it went up so quick just seconds and whole undercarrage and underhood up in flames......................

loudbang, Petejoe and Bandit Billy like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Are this there going to be mirrors involved?

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

How about the paintable chip-guard used on rockers n fender lips? Anyone experimented that for instead of undercoating/etc. Looks n sounds like it'd work well for this. Marcus...

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're going to drive it and not show off the bottom, undercoat it. Worth SKS stoneguard is really good and cleans up with water.

Here is the best deal I've found on it. http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My 47 Lincoln was undercoated sometime when it was newer. Where it is now peeling off in a few places, the paint underneath looks new.
    I'd say it all depends on how low the car sits, if you will use a mirror underneath to show off the undercarriage, and how long you are you going to own it?
    Since mine has held up so well for 72 years give or take, I'm going to recoat it with rubberised undercoating in the near future. It sits so low you can't see much under it anyway, and I don't want to haul a mirror around just so Joe Blow can look under there and see the road grime. Maybe it'll last another 72 years....

56don likes this.
  12. 4EyedTurd

4EyedTurd
    from Texas

100% driver and zero car shows

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my '67 camaro came with a dealer undercoat; that was the only place it didn't rust!

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do NOT paint the underside with POR. Nothing will stick to it and if you don't have a rough blasted finish, the POR wont stick. Been there, done that. The Wurth SKS will last a long time.

loudbang likes this.
  15. I like the spray in bed liner stuff
    Black or tinted
    Super tough
    A good coat of epoxy. then bed liner
    Done

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I live in the northeast, so I need lots of protection. POR-15 or Master Series as a primer, then a GOOD bedliner (the catalyzed stuff). Used to use undercoat, but bedliner looks similar, is smoother, and easier to clean up, and tougher.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I use red oxide on the floor pan bottoms just like GM did. Undercoat is the last thing I'd use. Looks nasty and traps moisture.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  18. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Raptor liner, you can get it most anywhere and it's tintable to the color you like. All the cars I do get it. It won't chip or crack like powdercoat and it is TOUGH stuff. Easily applied with a schultz gun and you can get different textures depending on air pressure and distance between the gun tip and the work surface.

shivasdad likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came up with my own formula when I was restoring bandit T/As a few years ago. Looks like the factory stuff but this is epoxy primer. Lasts and looks great!
    upload_2019-5-13_11-54-40.png
    50/50 black and red,
    upload_2019-5-13_12-0-21.png

loudbang, 427 sleeper and Blues4U like this.
  20. town sedan

town sedan

Traditionally you would use the old oil after draining it from the engine during a service. Splash, or spay it all over the bottom of the car and go for a drive on a dusty road.

Don't tell the federales, or your busybody neighbors what your doing and all will be fine.
    -Dave

21. Gerrys

Gerrys

As long as it is sealed tight the undercoating is good. if it separates it will hold moisture and accelerate rusting. make sure you have a good clean surface and good products.

22. KKrod

KKrod

In Texas I would think that paint would be enough.

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you just paint it, you are going to get rock chips in the paint. The undercoating and bedliner coatings will resist that. Also, they will absorb some of the blow by a rock that gets thrown up against the top of a fender and reduce "internal dings".

24. I used undercoat under my 56 when I put new floors in. I built it to be a driver, even though I never do.o_O

25. I like it epoxy primed and painted. But I do not drive my cars when there is salt on the roads here in Connecticut.
    When you work on the underside undercoating sucks.

26. 4EyedTurd

4EyedTurd
    from Texas

I may try the Upol Raptor liner

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used base/clear on my roadster's underside, just sayin :cool:
    upload_2019-5-14_9-27-4.png

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

CRIPES!

29. jman340

jman340

SPI bed line worked great on my Mustang project. It can be tinted to whatever you want and sprayed nice with a disposable gun. I put that over SPI epoxy primer after blasting it. Hope it'll never need to be done again.

loudbang likes this.
  30. an oil leak and a dusty road
    done

town sedan likes this.