Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody have problems with Speedway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, May 8, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ive always heard that Speedway was good to deal with and what little I’ve dealt with them has always been good.
    But I sent them an email about a possible $5000 purchase.......and nothing...... have things changed?

Bones

2. alchemy

alchemy

What did you ask them? Are you trying to get a discount for a large purchase? I bet they have $5,000 purchases all the time.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No, did not ask for discount, asked about some clarification on a T-bucket kit. I wanting an a larger bucket than offered in the kit.

Bones

4. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Call them, tell the operator what you want to do and they'll connect you to the right person.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that is the issue (not as they produce it) They don't have the facilities to modify the bodies they sell as far as I know.
    Spirit Industries sells a T body that is stretched 5 inches and can probably sell you what you are looking for at any stage of completion. https://www.spiritcars.com/23_T.html
    This page shows the bodies including the extended 23 body in various stages of completion .
    https://shop.spiritcars.com/body-fiberglass-parts.html

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    scrap metal 48 and Hnstray like this.
  6. lake_harley

lake_harley

I used to deal with Speedway on a wholesale basis for my circle track race parts business. In my experience I'd sum up Speedway by saying if it isn't in the catalog you're not going to get it from them. It was irritating sometime to deal with that, but with the type, size and volume of business they do I think it would be difficult to do any one-off or special packages.

Lynn

dana barlow likes this.
  7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I've always had good luck dealing with them. The one thing I didn't like was years ago they would charge shipping costs per item until a few years ago they went to the same service as Summit where when you ordered over a hundred bucks you got shipping free. And let's face it, when do you order much of anything that isn't at least that much.

WB69 and loudbang like this.
  8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

never a problem. once i called to clarify a mistake in their catalog (flathead intake gasket), and the "expert" i spoke with assured me i was wrong. no big deal!

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Always been good for and too me.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

How long did you give them for a response? Sometimes it takes them a while to sift down to the right person in the company for an answer. Did you email the sales @ Speedway... email or another one or did you do that Ask A Question thing on the product page?

But I've had a lot of trouble with other companies not answering their email lately (not Speedway) too, not to get off topic.

I would also say just call.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. 26Troadster

26Troadster

12. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I checked just recently and it looks like they dumped the free shipping with $100 purchase. Too bad because I liked
    dealing with them.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The reason I mail or text on this kinda of stuff is that I’m hard of hearing. Sometimes I hear things wrong. Also when you call a large company , you usually get a person on the phone that was hired a week ago and knows nothing. When you ask for their supervisor, you get someone who was hired two weeks ago,and they know twice as much as the first person.... but 2 times nothing is still nothing! Therefore I email and they can past it around till someone can answer my questions and I can see it, then I can go back and check for future reference.
    I just contacted a cam grinder with some questions, and got back a very detailed report of which cam they recommend, with hours of sending.
    I also contacted a crank grinder for a stroker crank.... same satisfactory results.

So, I know it can be done... some companies just choose to not give customer service. Big money/ company sometimes it’s bad service. Small company trying to make it...good customer service.
    Just wondering.... because in the past I alway had good service Speedway.

Bones

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I think 'Spirit' extended their T buckets to accommodate the HUGE street rod tilt column we see flying like a flag in all their offerings.
    Calif Custom Roadsters is light years ahead of all of 'em. Look at their windshield kits, in contrast to what Speedway offers, (their acquisition from Jay Ohrberg ('Mr. Roadster')

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

How long you gonna nurse that grudge, Dan? By your own admission that was changed years ago.

Given your total lack of trust in the correctness of answers given over the phone, what makes you think they will be any more accurate by email? But, as you also say, they may be able "to pass it around" to someone who knows. Now, I would expect that in itself would take some time, maybe require contacting a vendor..........so, is spite of all that, you want a near instant reply :confused:

If it wasn't for customers and employees, being in business would be a LOT more fun :D

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It’s been several days. My phone problems mostly manifest themselves from my hearing loss.

Bones

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. I prefer email as well. You actually have written proof of what someone said and there is no he said she said if a dispute comes up. A few days should be more than enough time to get back to a customer even if it is just to say the question needs to be run up the ladder for a more complete answer. In this day and age not answering emails in a timely manner is no different than not answering the phone.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Hnstray like this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thank you, Bones

loudbang likes this.
  20. I buy from Speedway all the time.
    Rarely have had any issues.

But I treat them like they are the "Harbor Freight" of hot rod parts.

Much, in fact a whole lot of what they sell is good. But some of it is produced off-shore, which I'm not fond of

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U and Boneyard51 like this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well.... I did get a reply! Six days after I sent in my inquiries. As some of you all guessed, it’s they're way or no way. No problem.

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  22. Bones, don’t feel bad, I sent a local gas station chain a burning email about the quality of their fountain soda and it took two weeks to hear back. Really? Piss on them, I go somewhere else now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I've always had good service at Speedway. Their tech people have always been very helpful. What they have got is what you are going to get. In other words " no modifications".
    Pete

Boneyard51 and Hnstray like this.
  24. 34Phil

34Phil

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Thanks for the heads up. As usual time has slipped away from me since I ordered from them so I thought it was still the same. I guess this will have to make me nurse this grudge I apparently have.

Boneyard51 and Hnstray like this.
  26. I just checked their website and it shows free shipping on $100 orders.

I bought a cheapo turn signal switch from them once and it quit working shortly after I installed it. I called them about it and they sent me their better switch at no charge. I can't complain about that kind of service.

27. Bones, don’t feel bad, I sent a local gas station chain a burning email about the quality of their fountain soda and it took two weeks to hear back. Really? Piss on them, I go somewhere else now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Now you guys went and did it, you got me looking through their catalog again.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. mopacltd

mopacltd

Summit for me. Speedway just isn't the same since Speedy departed.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Really, its hard to call it a "problem" when a store sells their product "as is."
    Theres lots of stretched bucket options, why would they sell you one that they pull off, cut, extend, bodywork and finish? It would cost way more than the other options.
    I always get a kick out of the Speedway bashing threads. Almost never any merit to them.

Jibs likes this.