Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 8, 2019.

1. Don, I will keep my eyes open for another Bronco. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  2. That is indeed a thing of beauty! HRP

3W JOHN and Montana1 like this.
  3. I did the 9" because that is what I had...
    I found a guy who said he could fix it for me, but couldn't... :mad:

So, if you want it done right...
    Do it yourself...
    So, I did... ;)

If I had it to do over again...
    I'd go to PEM Racing and save all the hassle...
    They are Hot Rodders and they have everything... :cool:
    http://pemracing.com/

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Now that sure is sweet. :)

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Most of the rear axles in my vehicles are 55 - 64 Chevy. #2 choice is the 57 - 64 Pontiac / Olds. My 41 Pontiac has a 9" Ford that the previous owner installed. However, if I finish the car, the 9" will be replaced with either a 57 Chevy rear axle, or one from a 57 Pontiac.

Bearing Cap Girdles A.jpg

6. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

what are the benefits to the 57 chevy rear axle? why is thst what youd use?

3W JOHN, Torkwrench and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 60 inches drum to drum so it fits many earlier cars.57 has a drain plug that 55-56 lacked.57,and later axles have bigger bearings,and two O ring seals compared to the 55-56 which were single O ring.57,and later carriers are stronger than 55-56,and can be found with posi.

8. The 9" Ford is a pretty tuff axle, they will take a lot of HP and abuse, probably why Nascar uses them.

3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

As IrishSteve mentioned, they are easy to install in earlier cars and trucks. For example, they are practically a bolt in, for 41 - 54 Chevys. They fit well in early Fords, Chevys, and others, as well. As a result, they were a very popular choice for both hot rods and drag cars.

They are a good design, dependable, and have provided millions and millions of trouble free miles in all of the Chevrolets that were built between 1955 and 1964.

There is a good supply of new parts for them.....New gears, bearings, new posi units, axle shafts, etc.

They will stand up to a lot of abuse. These axels were used in the hot factory Chevys that were built from 1955 and 1964......Including factory fuel injected and dual quad 283's, Tri - Power 348's, Dual Quad 425 Hp. 409's, and the 430 Hp. 427 Z - 11 Impalas of 1963. In addition, they were used in Many, Many drag cars, and sports cars, including Gas Class drag cars, Jr. Stockers, Super Stockers, SCCA Corvettes, etc.

As previously mentioned, for maximum strength, one does need to be selective with what axle parts are used. The most important being the center section case. Basically, the newer the better, with the 55- 56 center sections being the weakest and the 60 - 64's being the strongest. In addition, the open center section case is stronger that the "P" case, (factory posi case). However, the open case has to be modified to accept a posi unit. All of the center sections will bolt into all of the axel housings.

This is what I have in my 55 Chevy, along with my 56, 57 and 59 Chevys. My 34 Chevy and 59 GMC, both have the Pontiac rear axels.

2015 Meltdown.jpg 59 at Cordova.jpg 4.jpg Melt Down Drags 2018.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  10. That is one fine looking '55 Chevy. HRP

[​IMG]

3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57 and Torkwrench like this.
  11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I have a 9 " Ford in my car.

OLSKOOL57 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thank you. Here's a couple of photos from 1979, a couple of years after I bought it. Except for the nice paint, and interior, it's still basically the same as it was when I first put it together in 1977. Same engine, trans, rear axle, gauges, etc. The Cal Custom valve covers and air cleaner have never been on any other engine.

By the way....The Chevelle beat me by a couple of seconds. If I remember right the Chevelle is running in the 11's.

Super 55  1977.jpg
    55 Chevy 2nd at Havana Engine.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  13. Back in the 60's when I was in high school if you saw a '55 Chevy with a front bumper you knew the guy was driving his mom's car. :D HRP

Torkwrench, 3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Back in the late 70's it was still that way. For a long time I didn't even know what a 55 -56 Chevy front bumper looked like!

3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Exactly what I thought!!. The first thing that went was the front bumper.

16. .............or swap the stock one out for a Corvair unit just to keep the law off of your back. Bumper laws you know.:D;)

3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Don, fortunately we were lucky here in South Carolina, no such law existed.

I even removed the front bumper from my '54 Ford coupe when I was in high school. HRP:)

18. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Never go
    Never got stopped for no front bumper on my 55’chevy in 1965/1966. Never failed state inspection either,which at that time was every 6 months. Now for other reasons well.........sometimes!!!!

19. ..............It usually didn't come up unless you got caught speeding and then the cop would start looking all over the car for anything else to hassle you about. I had a '72 Chevelle with air shocks that I hardly ever kept much air in. The car wasn't what I would have referred to as "jacked-up", but local cops were always pulling me over and telling me my rear bumper was too high off the ground. Anything just to mess with you.

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Oh yeah, I too had a jacked up Falcon with air shocks & a straight axle up front, high rider or gasser look I was a ticket waiting to happen, it got real bad after we shoe horned a big block in it and I might as well had a target pained on the car because the men in blue were on me like white on rice!

To make matter worse I also had white a peace symbol painted on the rear axle housing. :rolleyes: HRP

OLSKOOL57, lothiandon1940 and 3W JOHN like this.
  21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Damn hippie.:cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.