Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects K-88 Dragster / 6 Cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Countn'Carbs, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

This is Jim. Jim was the owner of this engine and had plans of it going into a GMC pickup. Plans changed, he sold the pickup and all that was left was the engine and "some other stuff that I have kicking around."
    IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    Here's some of the "stuff kicking around"
    IMG_1836.JPG

Dyno Dave, TFoch, enigma57 and 11 others like this.
  2. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

So when we arrived he (Jim) offered us a beer and we sat and bench raced for a bit. Jim started reminiscing about drag racing in Southern CA during the 60's and into the early 70's. I could have listened to him for days as him and his wife talked about the different tracks they'd raced at along with some play by play of individual races - classic deal where a 9 second pass is a 10 minute story - I love it.
    He then says...."you realize that Kay Sissell owned that head right?" I about fell over and said...."no I didn't realize that." Jim went on to explain how him and Kay were lifelong friends and Kay ran that head in his '37 Chevy Coupe. I would sure like to see some pictures of that.
    He then says..."yeah there are also a couple of different intakes and what not that Kay built and tried on it that you can have too if you want them." Didn't have to ask me twice.
    It still hasn't sunk in and Jim asks me..."so what are you going to put it in?" I showed him a picture of the dragster and he said "oh that is a perfect spot for it." I was glad to see that he liked the plan and I'm truly honored to be the next care taker of this piece of history.

3. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

No trip to CA is complete without a stop at In-N-Out - found one nearby before we hit the big super-slab highway outta town.
    IMG_1841.JPG

4. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Jim also said that Mike Kirby (Sissell Automotive) built the engine in the 90's as well as the 5 carb intake. The 2 intakes on the right were built and tried by Kay but Jim couldn't remember how well they did or didn't do. Classic case of 6 cylinder archaeology - 12 Port style.
    I stay in touch with Jim and I owe him a video when we get his engine running.
    IMG_1837.JPG

5. the shadow

the shadow

6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you owe us ALL a video

7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

its going to be cool when ya get her done!

1947knuck and Countn'Carbs like this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inliners are the best, let alone a FED GMC powered one. You really got something real good going on here.
    Subscribed and thank you for the build thread! By the way, good to have a brother like you do...mine all are musicians...not that there isn't anything wrong with a musician but they don't have anything I could borrow that would fit on a car of any kind.

9. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Great find, Wow another 12 port your a lucky man.

1947knuck and Countn'Carbs like this.
  10. That is going to be a blast! Looking forward to the finished product.

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Subscribed :cool:

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  12. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Thanks Shadow and I've checked your digger out over the years - great car!!

HA!! You got a deal man!

Thanks rd and I sure like that Comp Coupe of yours!!

Thank you for following along and glad you like it. Yeah I'm very fortunate to have a couple of brothers helpng with this build - between them and others it's truly a group effort.

Big time lucky and it still hasn't really sunk in yet. Can't wait to hear it let alone blast it down the track!!

Yeah it should be a fun little car and really looking forward to seeing it come together.

Awesome and thanks for following along!!

1947knuck and winduptoy like this.
  13. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

During this time I was also trying to find some 18" front wheels for it with chrome spokes. For the era of build I was going for I felt this is what the car needed. I ended up finding a set down in Denver that were on a T-Bucket in the 70's but needed some love.
    There's a shop in Denver called Woody's Wheel Works and they fixed me right up....new spokes, tubes, tires, trued, etc...
    Wheels1.jpg

14. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

The Eagle Has Landed - The 12 Port looking right at home in between the rails with the 18 inch wheels doing their part up front.
    One Small Step For Man - One Giant Leap For Dragster Build!!
    26055704_2042446302707278_1438640338307702989_n.jpg
    Here's my lame attempt at trying to be artistic....
    Jim told me that Kay put those knobs in the valve cover so he could easily get the top cover off for adjusting valves in between runs. In looking at them closer they are actually little tiny breathers with holes in the sides. Gotta have the manditory Eelco Wing Nuts....those took a very long time to find. I actually got lucky and found a pack of 10 NOS.
    26804950_2051250755160166_1449095824349386304_n.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  15. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Check this out...I just got a care package from none other than @Marty Strode - open it up and it's a Chassis Research Steering Wheel!!! Holy Cow Marty THANK YOU!!! This will be perfect in the cockpit and every time I climb into this this I'll be thinking about you...THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
    IMG_0464.jpg
    Marty used to crew on the Albertson Olds K-88 and he shared a story with me that that thing would wonder all over the place when they would push start it. The Albertson Olds K-88 Dragster was not one to mess with and put several guys on the trailer - the car currently resides in the NHRA Museum in Pamona, CA.
    Here's a shot of the car being piloted by Leonard Harris with his legendary position of the wheel at 12 o' clock and leaning to the left to see.
    THANK YOU AGAIN MARTY!!! I really appreciate this!!
    harris5.jpg

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, I hope I didn't mislead you, I was only 12 in 1960. But I did push it, with Goober Tuller behind the wheel at Bakersfield in 2003 or 04. I was warned by the crew, John Peters was in charge, that it was extremely hard to push, as it darted back and forth as soon as it got on compression. As far a that steering wheel, being a nice guy pays off !

1947knuck, Mtn Goat, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  17. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

You didn't mislead me Marty - I misunderstood and Thank You for correcting me. I was just listening in awe as you were telling me the story.... so much so I got my facts messed up.

18. Loving this!

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Wow, that thing is so kool! I can't wait for the video to hear her run!

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My uncle held this record for a time with a loose old chevy six. Hope yours is a bit faster!:);) image.jpg

21. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

So glad you're following along Mike!!

cactus1 likes this.
  22. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Check That Out!! And at MO-KAN no less!! Very Cool and Thank You for sharing that!!!

Frankie47 and cactus1 like this.
  23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Rite on! He grew up in Winfield Kansas and went to college in Pittsburg.

cactus1 and Countn'Carbs like this.
  24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

that's great that marty sent you that! its going to be a lot of fun when you get that together. I have always been a fan of those chassis research cars. I started on mine years ago, many distractions over the past few years but hope to get back to it! DSC00004.JPG

Attached Files:

25. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Winfield is a great place and has a ton of racing history here! Some Indy 500 racers/winners raced here at the old Fairgrounds Speedway. There is a web page that has a ton of old pictures. Worth viewing!! Just a simple search and you'll find it.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Countn'Carbs likes this.
  26. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

The site is, "The History of Automobile Racing on the Historic Half-Mile Dirt Racetrack at the Cowley County Fairgrounds, Winfield, Kansas". Mears, Rutherford and others.

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You wouldn't by chance know my uncle Steve? He and his family owned Reeves and sons auto.
    Sorry to hi jack your thread countin carbs.

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  28. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Oh Hell Yeah rd!! Man that is looking great and hope you're able to get back on that build soon!!

WB69 likes this.
  29. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

No need to apologize - this is all good stuff and we're in it together. I too am curious if he knows your uncle. Good Stuff for sure.