Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gasser Ladder Bars, Round VS Square Tubing.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DILLIGASDAVE, May 8, 2019.

1. DILLIGASDAVE

DILLIGASDAVE

Was wondering how people felt about this subject. I know some will have the opinion that square tubing is more period correct for ladder bars back then. But looking back at old magazines from around/close to that time I'm kinda getting the impression that ladder bars with square tube VS round tube might have been somewhere around the 50/50 range VS one being a massive favorite over the other.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Availability of square tubing opposed the round tubing, was it easier to access and cut square tubing then weld plates and mitred tubing together rather than cut round, notch the ends and make them fit?

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I like square ones.:D pontiwilly.jpg

4. I think square tube was a bit easier for the home/garage gasser builder as opposed to a shop that was set up for chassis work like Blairs, Chuck Finders or Jim Kirby. Either is appropriate and acceptable to me.

Just Gary likes this.

5. DILLIGASDAVE

DILLIGASDAVE

Heh, after thinking about it for a while I realized something. Even though I have seen both round & square tubing used for ladder bars, I don't think I have ever seen anyone take the square tubing & rotate it an 1/8th turn diagonal (from square ■ to diamond ◆) and make "diamond" tubing ladder bars. Could be interesting, but a lot more work to clamp it to a jig table & grind/fit the tubing weld joints.

6. Square tubing is really easy to lay out on a garage floor, especially when you don't have the luxury of a jig table or welding table. When you are 17 or 18 years old you don't have access to many "luxuries".

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Not as strong when rotated into a diamond. Kinda depends on the look you want. As stated above, probably more about garage vs shop. I went with tube, but it was based on looks and availability.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done 100's of chassis with round tube ladder bars. 7/8th 156 wall seamless dom tube. They are more attractive and I believe round tube if built right is stronger than square. I have my custom ladder bars made by P&J and for the higher horsepower cars they use double vertical gussets instead of a single. Full circle brackets on the rear end with high strength clevises and urethane bushings at the front with a double shear mounting tabs. Haven't had a failure in almost 40 years.

-Brent- and Hightone111 like this.
  9. Slopok

Slopok

Lots of square used was solid stock rather than tube back in the day. Heavier but stronger.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's not forget those big ol truck arms...;)

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

This is my version of old school ladder bars. 20171018_111207 (1).jpg

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.