Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical P'dd off...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1Nimrod, May 10, 2019.

1. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

I just called the shop again and they are already playing the shell game with me. I asked for the manager (they have caller ID) the parts counter man reluctantly put me through and a woman came on the phone and said this is the manager and I ask again for the manager and she said I'm the manager you talked to me this morning and I told her no mam I talked to so n so a man and she insisted I talked to her Well I sure can tell a man's voice from a woman voice... So now I have an email # and sent them the same picture I posted here on the HAMB. This is going to be like pulling teeth but ten times worse for me just makes me so happy...

Deuces likes this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Is that shop located in Southeast Michigan????...

3. fordflambe

fordflambe

every machinist i have delt with in life was a perfectionist. The person that put this together is not a machinist.

j-jock, bobss396, 427 sleeper and 6 others like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

.... And thank you to sir.....

5. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Deuces; I'd rather not say at this time your home base maybe to close or you may be red hot possible knowing the people and or shop. I'm sure you understand don't you?? In my area I could not find any machine shops close so I had to drive fourty miles one way not a easy task for me. Thank you for your help and support Deuces and everyone else...
    1Nimrod

6. williebill

williebill

I appreciate your concern, but I myself wouldn't protect their reputation, not at all. Doubt they're going to try to fight back legally, they just want you to go away.
    And they know they fucked up. This isn't a surprise to them, I'd bet.

Truckdoctor Andy, 1Nimrod and Hombre like this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

I don't know of any engine shops in my area... I'm in Dearborn.. just a 1/4 mile east of Henry Ford's birthplace...
    If you are close by, I could bring a few of my micrometers and bore gages to scope out the problems... No charge!!!;)

8. town sedan

town sedan

Similar but different. About 2 years ago I went through a big bunch of BS with a roofing company.

What finally got their attention was when I told them that I would give them the online review they deserved.

We were able to come to an agreement soon after I told them what I was going to do.

Good luck and don't let the bastards win.
    -Dave

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Don't cave in. Start a ledger detailing all contact with this shop so that you can present
    a clear and cohesive case when needed. Time is not a healer in such circumstances and works against you.
    Judge Judy?

10. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Deuces; I've been thinking of getting a hold of Channel 3 news in Kzoo they have that help line and seems to help people out well. I'm fourty miles from Kzoo along trip for you my friend. But thanks again it shows that the folks on the HAMB are much appreciated by me and many more people. Not sure if he did my timing gears on the correct notch I've never used one with three key ways on lower gear before and it's supposed to be set at straight up for the cam but I have no knowledge of this type of lower timing gear. I'll post pics. Thanks again for all the help everyone this old man is getting to old for all this type of excitement not good for a 59 year old ticker makes one chest hurt... Thanks again...
    1Nimrod

Attached Files:

Hombre and Deuces like this.
  11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Just a forewarning....be prepared for those A holes to tell you that you damaged the crank when you removed the rods:mad:

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Do try and document everything you can, and if it is legal there, record all you can also. Hope this all works out for you.

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and 1Nimrod like this.
  13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Timing chain is common he has it set straight up ...no advance or retard.

Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.
  14. belair

belair

GET. A. LAWYER.

safetythird, 1Nimrod, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

belair has the best idea. Otherwise, the misery will drag out until you get tired of it all and go away.

safetythird, Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.
  16. Deuces likes this.
  17. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

lumpy 63; I used 5/16" hose over my rod bolt's I was tought in highschool shop class learned how on my Cuda Fourmala S big 383 Commando the good old days when schools help you learn things you could use in real life.
    1Nimrod

VANDENPLAS, lumpy 63 and Deuces like this.
  18. The reason that it sounded like you spoke to a woman is that this manager has lost his balls. How about preparing a nice big sign with "drive in here for crap work & service", or "Get Shafted Engine services", load it up in the back of your pickup, and tell the "manager" that you have a 2 week vacation coming up, and you had planned to spend it parked in front of his fine establishment.?

norms30a, kadillackid and 1Nimrod like this.
  19. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Deuces; PM me if your interested in coming to west side and I can give you info. Your Much appreciated everyone Thanks again....
    1Nimrod

20. Deuces

Deuces

Hey I'm 59 also.... As of last month... ;)

21. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Deuces; I posted you but it didn't show up here! I'll try again. PM me if you want to make a trip across to the west side of MI. It's a long way... Appreciate your help Thanks again...
    1Nimrod

22. Deuces

Deuces

That does sound like a long trip.... :(
    Wished you lived closer.... :(
    Sorry... Now I feel like a schmuck!... :(

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

Only if you had some inspection equipment... I'd be able to talk you through it....

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Deuces; God Willing you don't have a bad ticker like me not fun at all... Just checked mains middle to back 80# front two 70# and 60# the rear main one side 70# other 80# he must've had to answer the phone or someone distracted him and he forgot to recheck all mains??? Now I'm going to pull a few to see what going on with them...
    1Nimrod

25. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Deuces; Nope none of those. I do have two small mics but to small for crank. Thanks for the offer it's the thought that counts Grandma use to say:~}
    1Nimrod

Deuces likes this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

As a former service manager of a heavy equipment dealer, and with experience in court, at this point you have a very weak case against this shop. It's going to be largely your word against their word, and the judge is no expert in engine rebuilding or assembly; unless you have some credentials that he will recognize, he's going to consider the shop and the machinist as the expert. You have to document everything. And you're going to have to be able to explain to a non-technical person just what is wrong and how it is the fault of the shop, what they should've done, etc, and have some backup for what you say, not just your word, you need documentation that you can use as exhibits. Otherwise there is no reason for him to accept your complaint over the word of the shop.

You disassembled it, as somebody else said, they can easily just blame you for the damage. IMO you should've gotten the engine over to another qualified engine rebuild facility and let them dig into this for you and have them serve as a witness. A judge would look more favorably on another expert than he will on a consumer acting as an expert.

No lawyers in small claims courts, you're going to have to manage this suit by yourself; are you up to that? Are you going to file the paper work? Better get some good advice from somebody who can direct you on the best path forward, but at this point, it doesn't look good for you IMO.

I think your best scenario is to clam down, speak rationally and calmly with the shop to try to get some kind of a return on your money. Be reasonable in your approach, don't yell, don't insult them. You want them to work with you. If you threaten a lawsuit they're just going to clam up and you'll get nothing. In the meantime finish tearing it all the way down to inspect and asses for what it's going to take to get it back together properly, and then do the assembly yourself. Asking for a complete new crate engine, or another used engine fully machined and all new parts, yeah, right, that's simply not going to happen. Besides, you do NOT want to let these guys do it again, all you should be looking for from them is some kind of reimbursement; try to get as much as you can to ease the pain of fixing what you've got. I think that's the best you're going to get. If you're thinking of taking it to small claims court, good luck, you're going to need it.

lurker mick, upspirate, fol and 9 others like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

All the main bolts should be torqued to 70 foot pounds... In 3 steps..

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're right!!! He's a Fucking Hack!!!

29. After reading all the above posts, I'd be surprised if you get any more than a new gasket set. Even that is iffy. It sucks, but the reality is you will have to spend some time and money to get a chance of any satisfaction. The fact that the manager is sluffing it off onto some lying woman is a grim sign.

30. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The grimey shit on the crank snout should be enough to tell the story!

Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.