Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What’s its worth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 17, 2018.

1. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Jim,
    I've enjoyed reading your thread and appreciate your enthusiasm given your lack of funds. It isn't easy making a go of this hobby when your time and money are allocated to more important things like family and work. I was where you are at and it takes a ton of patience to eventually get there. You seem like the kind of guy who has vision and work ethic to get there but still it can be a long haul. I have a suggestion.....have you see the thread by RJRS (Wes) down in Ga? He had everything minus a body and said "screw it" and decided to build his own speedster body out of wood.
    If interested and can do metalwork then you can surely handle woodwork, even smells good when you cut it....when you have more funds and the right body comes along then just swap it......anyway just a thought, and if you did there wouldn't be too many flathead powered speedsters out there like yours.....here is the link...
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/shade-tree-model-a-speedster-kind-of-thing.1086809/

Jim Lato likes this.
  2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Hey thanks for the kind words friend. I am just slowly collecting the pieces to make something out of nothing really. But like you said, I’d like to make something happen soon but I’m trying to remain patient and take things as I go. I’m gonna look at your link today and check that out. Attached in that photo of that car I found, I am going to use the frame for my project. Not ideal but it will work[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotts52 likes this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Dude, you don't look like the kind of guy who hates himself. But trying to base a project off a 37 Plymouth frame just because it was free is one of those things. you'll be VERY limited to what will fit it. Start stashing money when you can, get a few hundred bucks (or thousand) to start with a real start. Hell, even get most of the pieces of a speedway t-bucket kit and build your own frame. You'll be better off.
    Been there done that. Just because its free doesn't mean its good

4. I'd bring the frame home but don't make any modifications to it 'till you get the body you plan to use. It'll prolly be too wide for a model A body but you may be able to use the rails.

5. lilmann

lilmann

There’s a decent 30-31 Ford body for sale under the Parts classifieds for $2000....start with a good body and build from there is what my Dad taught me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

greener200 likes this.
  6. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Listen to Gearhead.... leave that hunk alone and forget about it. The best possible outcome is that you have an oddball car after an untold amount of time is invested. Model A frames are cheap and plentiful enough that you should have no problem finding a good one for a couple $100 bills max. Spend some time on this forum looking at what other guys are doing and get a feel for what you want. I think you will soon learn that a '37 framed conglomeration isn't it.

7. I personally would cut the rear floors and lower body out of that Plymouth coupe and drag them out, if it's not paper thin. No one reproduces those and it will fit a number of cars. You should be able to sell them fairly easily for some decent money.

8. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So over a period of two days, I have acquired a 3 door model t with almost everything to assemble it, and a 35-36 dodge or Plymouth 2 door. 380$ for both. Looking for parts for the 35-36 if anyone has some leads ? Glass, body steel etc

And so far I haven’t got the model t home yet to find what I need. I know wheels and hubs. Glass etc

Will send photos soon I don’t have any on my phone and I’m down in Texas. I’ll send photos now for examples of what I have [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Now this dodge, and I’m unsure totally if it is a dodge or Plymouth. A few details so help figure out what it is, the rear window is split. And there isn’t a trunk lid so I’m unsure if it’s the big bubble lid or more of one that contours to the body more?

10. That early '20's T Touring in the shape it's in is worth 10 times what you paid for both.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The money it will cost you to build it will far surpass the cost of a Brookville body.
    There are folks out there with unfinished projects desiring to sell.

12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Well I’m a builder not so much a buyer. Just my hobby. I’ll collect the pieces as they come

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I know it sounds trite but if your young time is on your side.
    If not, time is of the essence.

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I’m 31. And work on the road. So when I come home I enjoy my car building and the farm. Peaceful. Excited to start!

15. BobPer

BobPer

Jim, That is a 35 Dodge 2-dr sedan. It should be a one piece back window not a split window, check again and get back to us. The trunk lid will contour like the body and will not stick out, just a slight curve/crown. It looks very buildable and sounds like the price was very good. If it needs quarter panel patches, see my album. Good luck with it, Bob
    35dodge2dr.PNG

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya what I have the rear window is split, and there is no trunk space that sticks out like that one. Now it’s driving me nuts! Cause I thought it was a 35 dodge too but the split window and the different trunk lid area threw me off

17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So I have been looking and it’s driving me nuts. But I believe I found it. The car I have is a 37’ Plymouth slant back split window

18. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I wouldn't pay more than $100-$150 tops, and I'd have to be drunk to do that. Seriously, if your not really good at metal fab, pass. You would be better off buying someone's project they started & gave up on, than this piece of shit. Just my opinion.

19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I got the model t and the 37 for 380$ lol I’d say it was a steal

20. BobPer

BobPer

Jim, Is the picture you posted a picture of the actual car you bought. The picture you posted is a 35 Dodge. Or did you post a picture of a 35 Dodge and are talking about a "similar" car you bought? Confused, Bob

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

My previous post I stated it was an example of what I have. Those cars are not mine. The model t 3 door touring I have is in pieces and partially restored. And that other car that I’m trying to figure out what it is is just the body and frame. Only thing missing is trunk lid

22. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So like I said, once I get back from Texas to the farm I’ll send you guys photos