Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engineer wanted, Victoria Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grdra1, May 9, 2019.

1. grdra1

grdra1

Im at that stage in my build where I need to have an engineer inspect car before I go to much further. Im in melbourne Australia - not far from Dandenong area, I have downloaded the list of engineers from the vic roads website and have contacted several who don't seem that interested. I am planning to go street rod rego or even full rego if possible, Who has used someone that they would recommend - Im willing to travel and take car to them if they are suitable. Not after dodgy people just fair and easy to work with, thanks in advance. Glen

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Hey Glen -

Don't know the count of how many Mechanical Engineers are car guys there, but even that ratio here in the US is fairly low, at least from what I've seen. I just retired out of the Aerospace group and the company where I worked has a LOT of people. Beside myself, I only knew of two other Engineering types that were car guys.
    Now there are obviously Mechanical Engineers that are...car guys, in the top rungs of the various forms of racing, but other than just knocking on the doors of good engine builder shops, chassis builder shops, I don't know what to tell you.
    One thing, I would not use the phone to find these guys/girls. Look up high end shops that you feel you can travel to, and then actually knock on the door. Get to them face to face then plead your case. It's too easy for someone to not be interested talking to you on the phone. You need to show your enthusiasm about cars and your build.

Best of luck.

Mike

3. oldolds

oldolds

I believe he is looking for a engineer that regularly inspects cars over there. It is a required thing there when you build a car. Parts have to be from acceptable suppliers and build techniques have to meet certain specs.
    It sounds like a good thing in some ways. I imagine it is a pain in the butt as well.

kadillackid and clem like this.
  4. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks Mike, Vic roads ( the authorities ) provide a list of all the engineers that are approved to sign off on modified vehicles - there are only about 12 - 15 in the state that can sign of on street rods. I have contacted about 5 of them, 2 did not return my call after leaving a message and the other 3 did not want to talk to long on the phone - seemed disinterested. The ones I contacted were relatively close to me within a 50 mile radius so I may have to try the others and be prepared to take my car to them - I would prefer they came to me as I have a hoist etc, to inspect. I am trying to find out who others have used and would recommend, thanks again. Glen

5. pitman

pitman

Glen, hang in and persist. We are out there. :rolleyes:
    Long drive, as a Maine humourist put it, "and some might wet wheelin' "

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It sounds like you should be talking with your local hot rod buddies in Victoria, as they too must have the same route to travel and can probably offer you more specific guidance.
    Good luck in your pursuits.

7. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I can recomened Peter Turner. Although not close to you he is a car guy. If you need I have a mobile number for him. He may be racing at Winton this weekend so may not be easy to contact.

8. morac41

morac41

Join the ASRF and they will put you in contact with Victoria TAC...They can guild you through the local engineers who do modified vehicals

9. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks for all replies, I will give Peter a call next week. I am a ASRF member and have the list of all engineers, as previously mentioned I stated calling some of them and was disappointed with their response so far. Maybe Im to fussy and expect some enthusiasm when discussing my project with them, I feel like I am inconveniencing them. I thought it may be better to find someone that others have used and would recommend rather than randomly choosing one close to home. Glen

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Peter also has access to a hoist in Castlemaine if you need. You would have to ask him about it.

11. swifty

swifty

If you are happy to go with street rod rego (a lot cheaper and with up to 90 days of use available) then why not contact Geoff Murdoch, the Victorian TAC rep. I do know that he made a trip to Bendigo recently to sign off on an A Model closed cab pick-up so he must be happy to travel.

12. grdra1

grdra1

My car is heavily modified eg chassis mods 4 link etc, converted to RHD, lots of welding / fabrication, SBC. Due to mods requires an engineer report before TAC will sign off. Tell me different please but this is the process as I no it. Glen

13. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

I am in the South Eastern Bayside area, not far from Dandenong where you are.

Its vastly more difficult getting a Rod registered in Australia than the US, and Victoria is the strictest state of all in Australia.

Basically you have to get a Vic Roads recognized engineer right from the very beginning before you even start your build. He will insist on everything being done exactly his way, and if he does not like what he sees, you get to rip it all apart and start all over again.

I started a Model A, and sank fifteen grand into it over several years, only to have to completely give up on the project. The engineer wanted a grand every time he got off his ass to come around and inspect the project. I am not a wealthy guy, and just gave up in the end.

I planned to use a shortened model A truck chassis because its vastly stronger, but Vic Roads suddenly brought out a new rule which says chassis are not allowed to be lengthened, shortened, narrowed or widened. Must remain totally original dimensions. So I was screwed.

The engineer said my chassis was great, very stiff, very strong, nothing wrong with it, but he would not pass it because it no longer complies with the rules .

Good luck with finding an engineer.

clem likes this.
  14. grdra1

grdra1

Warpspeed, that is very comforting news ( I feel gutted now ), who was the engineer that I need to avoid. Has anyone else had this issue or are there good guys out there. Glen

15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Swifty is correct and you can get 45 or 90 days on the SR permit system. It may be the better option for you than a full engineers report and full registration.

Do not cut yourself short and feel gutted until you have spoken to an Engineer. I am willing to talk to you before you speak with Mr Turner. I may be able to offer some ideas. With my last project I had some hassles but it was just red tape stuff we had to verify and in the finish with Mr Turner he gave me the paper to write my own report and tick boxes etc. With the likes of Aust Design Rule clarification on seat belts and seats etc. This was with my 1948 Ford truck.

I once dealt with an engineer that every time he came near the project I had to change seat belts. Went from not needing them to a requirement to have minimum lap, then upgrade lap sash and then yet another upgrade inertia reel. I then I made a compliant to both Vic Roads and the local MP. I then read up on Aust Design Rules myself and found out many shortcuts. Locking hand brake in the LJ50 Suzuki soft top got me out of having to fit an antitheft lock steering column. This was with my T Roadster and I never knew of Mr Turner then.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  16. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

GRDRA1, I have sent you a conversation with some contact details to try and help you.

17. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks, the street rod permit system sounds ok, I was under the understanding that this required a full engineers report. I will be looking into this. Glen

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I had a local (Narree Warren) engineer come look at my project - he also signed off on a model A sedan, with original chassis and body for a friend and he got full rego
    PM me for his details.

19. What are you building?

20. grdra1

grdra1

Go to traditional hotrods and type in my new ride or check out my profile page, dont have pics available right now. Glen

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

I really feel for you guys. I can't help but wonder what horrible hot rod-inflicted catastrophe made your government feel that it had to enact such stringent build requirements. Were hundreds killed in some vile act perpetrated by a band of poorly constructed hot rods? Add to that the fact that, in these litigious times most people wouldn't want to sign off on the proper mowing of a lawn much less a chassis constructed by someone else that will speed down public highways.
    I bet that statistics would show that a very very small percentage of injury accidents here in the states were caused by a poorly constructed hot rod, and we have a lot more running the streets than you guys do down under. They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but you poor guys are getting pounded. Endeavor to persevere...........then we declared war... (Chief Dan George)

dan31, karl share and nochop like this.
  22. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

You still need an engineers certificate to get 90 day club registration, and you must keep an up to date log book of every single mile you drive, and you must be a paid up member of a registered club. And club registration is not transferable, so if you sell your Rod, the new owner has to go through the whole engineering process again.

The whole problem is that Hot Rodders want to do things that look really cool, but are not necessarily well engineered or safe. Zoomie exausts look good, but will not comply with current very low noise level limits. Some guy probably wanted to register something that was built like a slingshot dragster, so they introduced a new rule about lengthening or shortening the chassis. Someone else probably tried to run bicycle wheels and no front brakes, so we get rules about maximum and minimum rim widths and minimum braking requirements. It just goes on and on and on. In the end they have just made it far too difficult for the ordinary guy.

AS HOTFR8 says, study a copy of the current building rules, and talk to an engineer and find out what you need to do. If the engineer says your chassis needs to be given a full torsional stiffness test, you will have to arrange (and pay) for that test to be done by a commercial test laboratory. Its the engineer that must be made happy. He can introduce any new difficulty he feels like, because HE personally carries full legal liability for your creation. For him its a huge personal and financial risk, and he feels that its worth a lot of money to make it worthwhile. He may dislike your project from the very start, which is why many engineers are very picky about what they will take on.

Stovebolt is correct. If it has a stock body, original chassis engine and suspension, its not a Hot Rod but a fully restored classic car. You can certainly register that without too much difficulty. It just has to be in original roadworthy condition like any other vehicle.

23. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

24. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks for all reply's, anyone else? Glen

25. grdra1

grdra1

I recently took my car to Peter Turner to let him see what I have done and what he needed done to complete a engineers report. He was very approachable and easy to work with, he has a common sense approach. I was pleasantly surprised and feel positive at this time going forward. All fabrication so far is ok with no issues identified, so its full steam ahead with the street rod guidelines in hand to complete this car, thanks again for all reply's. Glen

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  26. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I just have to say it. I told you so. Why did you not let me know you had been in the area?

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  27. grdra1

grdra1

Sorry Simon it was a quick trip as I had to work in the evening. I agree you did tell me so, Peter was awesome. Glen

28. I'm not defending the Vic Roads approach or in fact the whole Oz rego system but over the past 50 yrs I've been playing with cars there have been more than a few people killed in accidents involving hotrods......and the authorities get their knickers in a knot, as do the polititians..........but there are ways to get cars rego'd.......andyd

29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Did you see his Race Car? As you said he has plenty of common sense and just a straight forward fellow. When you are this way next look me up.