Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Driving the Kookie Kar back to 1958

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's with the Comb was that Jim's or Norm's?...:D...and be nice to Stogy...he was nursing when this show was on...:p

I know! Kookie has been gone over with a fine toothed comb...is that it?...:confused:

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Forcing out of focus images?

Stogy likes this.
  3. "Kookie, Kookie... lend me your comb." ;)

4. @Stogy - Yes ... the comb is in the pics because during its restoration, the Kookie Kar has been gone over with a "fine toothed comb"... AND because it's a play on the song: "Kookie, Kookie Lend Me Your Comb" (as noted by @Rolleiflex in post #208 and shown in the video @Sancho posted above).

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sure is heck is and the video Footage priceless...that fella was giving Elvis a run for the money. Look at the Howling Gals...:D...Beatles...Shumeatles

Those old Hotrod shows were very cool...and there were quite of few...

Thank's for de-fine-ing those images...do they still make those combs?...they sure as heck look period...;)

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. Kookie update ... Vintage COLOR Studio is close to color and chrome is back from Sherm's Custom Plating:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (4).jpg
    image from the May 6th roybriziostreetrods Instagram feed​

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (5).jpg
    image from the May 8th Roy Brizio Street Rods Inc Facebook timeline

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

100 days to get this finished for a Saturday arrival at Pebble Beach, less if they plan to run the tour.:)

Bob

8. Who's on deck to paint the flames I wonder?

Sancho and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be the Spirit of the Past in a Modern Soul who lays the flames and pulls the stripes...;)

There was at least 2 sets of Flames on this...Watson did 1 version who did the other...and if there was more...do tell.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, so much history, and more history in the making right here.

And we get to watch.
    What a unique pleasure.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Dean Jeffries did the licks in the Royal Blue Version. Watson did the licks on the Pearl White Updated version. One other thing is shortly bevy Norm sold it he changed out the wheels that were on it till the restoration-excluding the duals on the rear. I’ve only seen a few pix of the chrome reversed on the blue guise version.

brad2v, HEMI32 and Stogy like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

10af79c6fedf69e8_large.jpg I'll fly into Burbank, and plan to stop at Bob's Big Boy that evening and find this spot Norm parked in, may bring some good luck for Sunday at Pebble Beach. Bob

13. Squablow

Squablow

I didn't know that. Dean Jeffries is a builder who's work is incredibly recognizable and influential but who's name is not as well known, I don't think he gets the credit he deserves.

14. verde742

verde742

Jeffries died May 5. 2013... RIP

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought he was a Custom, Hotrod Great...A Fantastic Talent or should we say left an incredibly Dynamic Mark...He sure pumped out a huge amount of Cool in his Career.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  16. Great to follow the work of this neat car coming together at Brizio’s

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Late to the Party and HEMI32 like this.
  17. It appears that Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck is ready to squirt some color on Kookie:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (6).jpg
    image from vintagecolorstudio's May 15th Instagram feed

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    catdad49, brad2v, RICH B and 10 others like this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

Nice stands! I wonder if the inside of the body was painted a different color, or if it's just taped that way to prevent dirt blowouts? I'm sure there's a good reason. They are moving right along with this project!

Bowtie Coupe and The37Kid like this.
  19. Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck doing his thing to the Kookie T:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (7).jpg
    image from Dennis (abe_froman_sausageking) Sayers' May 15th Instagram feed​

Kookie has color:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (8).jpg
    image from vintagecolorstudio's May 15th Instagram feed

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

For the history book, did Norm paint it originally? Was it done in someone's driveway back then? ;)

Bob

Late to the Party and Stogy like this.
  21. In November of ‘56, Norm took his Black ‘22 Model T (then known as the “Lightning Bug”) to Neil Emory (@Rod Emory's grandfather) & Clayton Jensen’s “Valley Custom Shop" in Burbank, California to have it painted ‘56 Dodge Royal Blue ... and had Dean Jeffries apply the flames & pinstripes.

This is the version of the car that Edd “Kookie” Byrnes drove in the TV show “77 Sunset Strip” ... and why it became known as “Kookie’s Kar,” the “Kookie T,” and/or the “Kookie Kar.”

Not on a driveway ... but I’m quite positive that back in 1956, Valley Custom didn’t have a United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) / California Air Resources Board (CARB) compliant “AFC Finishing Systems” automotive spray booth.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  22. Some more pics shot at Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck's Vintage Color Studio:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (9).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (10).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (11).jpg
    images from the May 16th roybriziostreetrods Instagram feed

23. It is SO nice to see this iconic car being reincarnated.

24. Squablow

Squablow

Paint looks great, but I'm just as impressed with that paint booth, barely any dust on the floor even!

brad2v and The37Kid like this.
  25. Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck prepped Kookie's wheels's today:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (12).jpg
    images are still captures from vintagecolorstudio's May 17th Instagram Story (video)​

... and got the next batch of parts ready to prime and/or paint this weekend:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (13).jpg
    image from vintagecolorstudio's May 17th Instagram feed

catdad49, dana barlow, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is that some special West Coast blue masking tape? Painting the wheels? The powder coating people will be in tears over that. o_O

Bob

27. Bob, Darryl prefers the Aqua Blue tape over the 3M Yellow tape ... and says it’s way cheaper than the Green tape.

Yes, painted (just like they were in 1958) ... although powder coating was developed in the ‘40s & improved in the early ‘50s, I doubt it used for automotive applications until the ‘60s.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  28. frank spittle

frank spittle

MeTV has chronologically returned to 77 Sunset Strip, Season 1 (1958) when this iconic car first appeared in our homes and turned many of us senior citizens into hot rod enthusiasts. Episode 15 is the next one it appears in and should air May 27th if chronologically correct.

29. Today (Saturday, May 18th), Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck got all of the wheels & suspension parts primed and the backing plates painted:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (14).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (15).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (16).jpg
    images are still captures from vintagecolorstudio's May 18th Instagram Story (video)​

catdad49, dana barlow, brad2v and 8 others like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@HEMI32 thanks for your continued updates on this Hotrod revival...

Also thanks to the others sharing their connection to this Hotrod and it's former owners...it's an exciting thread...;)